Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

anyone know the pro/cons of doing a "1.5" 2jz swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 02:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts
Default anyone know the pro/cons of doing a "1.5" 2jz swap

ok essentially this is the 2jz block with the 1jz head. i recently read a article on it and wondered what the pros/cons of doing this swap are.....or why would they go this route and not just do a 2jz swap? no i'll tell you it wasn't for cost as its in a semi pro drifters car so we can exclude that idea! i think car makes upwards of 900 hp but might be 600. will check when i get home and verify
Old 10-27-08, 05:38 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
ok essentially this is the 2jz block with the 1jz head. i recently read a article on it and wondered what the pros/cons of doing this swap are.....or why would they go this route and not just do a 2jz swap? no i'll tell you it wasn't for cost as its in a semi pro drifters car so we can exclude that idea! i think car makes upwards of 900 hp but might be 600. will check when i get home and verify
as far as i knew the 2jzGE had the best/highest flowing heads in the JZ family...i could be wrong.

if the 1j has better flowing heads then thats your answer, kind of like some guys will bolt GE heads on a GTE
Old 10-28-08, 01:23 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's more of a cost and amount of work needed reasoning. If the car came from the factory with a 1JZ(like in a Soarer), and you want more displacement...it's cheaper just to bolt on a 2JZ bottom end rather than swapping out the whole engine. Also, swapping the whole engine will involve having to rebuild a whole new wiring harness to work on the 2JZGTE head. For a while some people were saying that the 1J head flowed better, but I think that theory has been put to rest.
Old 10-28-08, 07:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

ok ty u 2..........i was just wondering. i have the gs430 so i wasn't looking to do this just kinda wanted the info on why some1 would do this. i think this was in my latest issue of modified mag or maybe my new turbo! i forgot to look as im sick and just went to bed last night! it couldn't have been a $ thing as its in a semi pro drifter's car in a toyota cressida i think it was. i will try and remember and look 2nite! thanks u 2 again
Old 10-29-08, 08:30 AM
Supraownzu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
as far as i knew the 2jzGE had the best/highest flowing heads in the JZ family...i could be wrong.

if the 1j has better flowing heads then thats your answer, kind of like some guys will bolt GE heads on a GTE
i always heard the 1jz heads flowed better than the 2jz gte heads. the GE heads do flow more, however until recently, you couldnt get any cams for them. cams are available for the 1jz's though. could also to be different, never know.