Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 09:26 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill answer for him and just say NO to BOTH
Old 05-26-10, 02:22 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by StarkoS14
ill answer for him and just say NO to BOTH
Old 07-08-11, 04:19 PM
AristoGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo I was wondering if you know about the cost in swapping the GE engine in a second gen gs300 for a 2jzgte vvti engine. Or if you know if the engine just drops right in
Old 07-08-11, 07:54 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AristoGuy
Yo I was wondering if you know about the cost in swapping the GE engine in a second gen gs300 for a 2jzgte vvti engine. Or if you know if the engine just drops right in
From what I have been told awhile ago
It can cost anywhere from 4k+ - 10k+
Depending on if you put big boost/brand/custom work/etc...
Old 07-11-11, 09:01 AM
AristoGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BPVIPGS
From what I have been told awhile ago
It can cost anywhere from 4k+ - 10k+
Depending on if you put big boost/brand/custom work/etc...
I emailed Grip industries which deals heavily in GTE swaps. They told me 2500 turn key labor and a 1000 and up in parts. I told them i would be supplying them with Head & Block Intake Manifold Turbo Charger x2 Automatic Transmission Fuel Rail Injectors Coils Alternator Starter Power Steering Pump Igniter Starter and the A/C Compressor. They haven't responded and i'm not sure about any other parts that will be needed to do the swap. Any ideas wat i'm missing?
Old 07-12-11, 02:06 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Default Few questions (na-t)

Do you need a piggyback (like FIC) if you're going to run 7-8 psi?

Do you have to run o2 sensors if you're running a wideband and FIC?

What all fittings and lines do you need for the return?

Is there any way I can get a gauge system that integrates into my NAV? I know HKS has the CAMP II, but I'm wondering if there's other options. Can the CAMP II be used as a wideband? (I'd like to keep my car as gauge free as I can)

Which Boomslang harness for the IS300 fit an 03 gs300?

If I think of any other questions(I'm sure I will), I'll ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-11, 03:49 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Do you need a piggyback (like FIC) if you're going to run 7-8 psi?
I wouldn't do anything less than an FIC when boosting a GS300. Anything less and you are just asking for trouble and problems.

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Do you have to run o2 sensors if you're running a wideband and FIC?
Yes, your primary o2s because those affect your AFRs. The secondaries can be sim'd using an o2 simulator or o2 foulers, therefore you don't have to run them.

[QUOTE=mtparker18;6528493]Which Boomslang harness for the IS300 fit an 03 gs300?[QUOTE]

If your GS is 01-05, the IS300 will work. If its a 98-00, I'm not sure. But if you want to be safe, just supply Boomslang with the ECU pinouts and they will custom make you one.
Old 07-18-11, 06:49 AM
lowdee12
Driver School Candidate

Hey jeff,

I've gone through this entire thread and really havent seen this answered. Im looking in to buying a 2jzgte vvti motor for a second gen GS but im not really sure about it. How easy is it to get it in? Do any modifications need to be done (wiring, ecu, etc.)? Can you write up a small list of what are the parts you would need for the swap? Also, i keep seeing motors for a little under 2 grand and i keep seeing people throwing out 5k+ as a final total price for swapping. What bumps the price up so high? im not looking to do any work to it to start off, just have it stock and work on it as time goes and i have a buddy who owns a shop so it shouldnt be too expensive to swap it either.
Old 07-18-11, 09:22 AM
mrgage
Driver School Candidate

Are there any shops on the east coast installing turbo kits?
Old 09-07-11, 10:28 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

What is the NA-T guys using for a midpipe? I need to buy one, but can't find any...
Old 12-22-11, 03:11 AM
tryitonce
Rookie

Jeff....I have done the 2j swap in my 98 gs300. I have the fic....Supra block(redone),vvti heads (redone), turbonetics 62-1,850cc injectors,44 mm tial wastegate,greddy BOV,fmic,srt maf kit,. My mechanic is telling me that the fic doesn't work on the GS...he says I need a standalone....Please help me with a wiring diagram for the GS so that I can have my car running correctly....Help....Please...thanks in advance
Old 12-22-11, 07:37 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tryitonce
Jeff....I have done the 2j swap in my 98 gs300. I have the fic....Supra block(redone),vvti heads (redone), turbonetics 62-1,850cc injectors,44 mm tial wastegate,greddy BOV,fmic,srt maf kit,. My mechanic is telling me that the fic doesn't work on the GS...he says I need a standalone....Please help me with a wiring diagram for the GS so that I can have my car running correctly....Help....Please...thanks in advance
You'll need a piggy back or stand alone installed to run a swap. If you're trying to use the stock ECU it won't work. You might try contacting Mo at SRT (Swift Racing Technologies (301)982-4600), he can get you headed in the right direction.
Old 12-23-11, 05:47 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a aristo vvti motor swap in my GS300. I'm on stock jspec ecu and stock air flow meter and the car runs awesome. No check engine lights and all of my factory features work like they should. Talk to Darin at DD tuning, the guy did excellent work for me, he is Titan Motorsports former lead tech. The labor will be cheaper that what I have seen quoted on here too.
Old 12-23-11, 05:57 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowdee12
Hey jeff,

I've gone through this entire thread and really havent seen this answered. Im looking in to buying a 2jzgte vvti motor for a second gen GS but im not really sure about it. How easy is it to get it in? Do any modifications need to be done (wiring, ecu, etc.)? Can you write up a small list of what are the parts you would need for the swap? Also, i keep seeing motors for a little under 2 grand and i keep seeing people throwing out 5k+ as a final total price for swapping. What bumps the price up so high? im not looking to do any work to it to start off, just have it stock and work on it as time goes and i have a buddy who owns a shop so it shouldnt be too expensive to swap it either.
If memory serves me correct there was only 1 wire that had to be repinned, I think for the tach signal. You must have the Aristo air flow meter in the proper sized housing otherwise you're going to have issues. The vvti swap is the way to go on these cars, I had the normal GTE motor in there before out of a Supra, and it wasn't something I would recommend doing. I had lost my automatic climate control, cruise, check engine lights were on. With this swap the car is running so good, I was on my way to Darins shop on Monday to drop the car off for a built tranny, high stall, single turbo kit / fuel system / haltech. I couldn't bring myself to do it, getting 25mpg highway and burning my 315's all the way through 1st gear on the street is a blast, I can't justify the 10K expense. At this point I'm going to throw on a nitrous kit and some drag radials, I think I can get deep in the 11's on stock twins.
Old 05-07-12, 12:27 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default question for jeff plus team

I have my eye on a 1999 gs300 stock oem with 85k miles on it. I would like to add some hp and torque to the setup.

The issue is that i am overseas and canot easily source parts. I am looking for advice as to what parts to choose for maxium longevity anf minimum part swaping.

My guess is that i would stick to 7 psi and would like to keep the OEM tranny, Ecu, injectors and whatever else i could keep.

Any guidance at this point? The gs400 is not sold here so i cannot simply get a V8

Thanks

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!