Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 09:36 AM
Eddie@JP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to do this. This will definately help me out on my project.
Old 11-03-08, 10:55 AM
GS300Jason
Rookie

In for updates.
Old 11-03-08, 11:26 AM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

I like this thread Jeff since I'm gathering my parts for my turbo setup very good info. I wonder why we can't have a sub forum for turbos ,swaps. and nitrous for all lexus cars ? We got drift ,dub ,and vip sub forums lets have a go fast and a go faster section similiar to MY is.com has but for all lexus models

Last edited by smuv gs3; 11-03-08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-03-08, 04:40 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jwin
I am planning on doing a 2jz-gte swap as my motor has around 200000 miles on it. Do you know exactly what wires i would need to keep and or extend for the motor swap. Is it as simply as a plug and play operation .How much power will the aristo ecu with AEM FIC take before i have to go standalone
I've never done a swap using the OEM ecu so I can't say how much of a "direct drop in" it will be. For my car I built a whole new custom harness. Some people take the GTE ecu and piggy back combo all the way up to around 500-600whp range or so with a single turbo and fuel system upgrade.

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
just checking..but you did mean 30% at 7psi and not 9 right? and if that is true that would be about 4.3 fuel per lb of boost (all things being equal) and about 38%-40% at 9psi? that sound right? (two diff ppl have told me 11.5 at full throttle at 9psi...what do you think of that estimate?
Thanks
Well, 11.5:1 to 12:1 is the target AFR range when you're in full boost. You can calculate the ratio this way. If stock injectors are 270cc, and the engine outputs 185rwhp. The injectors are only being utilized about 68%. If your car makes 250-270rwhp at 7psi then factor in the need for additional fuel. Injectors are 270cc so at 270rwhp, you will be pushing them to near max of 100% duty cycle. It's not good to push injectors to their maximum because they lose accuracy and goes into what is called static condition. Basically the injector is open the whole time without closing. Under normal operation a injector is supposed to shoot out pulses of fuel, when it goes static it's basically like a water faucet.

Originally Posted by jwin
A1000-6 EFI Fuel Regulator is the one with the By-Pass better than the one without. What part-number exactly if you know off the top of your head. Thanks Jeff
Fuel regulator with the bypass? Not sure what you're referring to. But the Aeromotive A1000 and A1000-6 is the correct unit to use. Both regulators are identical, the only difference is that one has AN-10 fitting ports and the other has AN-6 ports. The AN-10 one has a red/black anodized casing, the AN-6 has a red/silver casing.

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Also, if you want the most complete kit (and you have the money ) Get the Swift Racing kit. I've hurd a lot of good things about it and its suspost to have a big gain with it.
Also ebay kits, their no good
Jeff, you should also make a thread for Q&A's for swaps
Yes SRT has the most complete kit, but it comes at a price. I think their cheapest kit is $7000 range or so. Also, this Q&A covers anything turbo. Swaps and NA-T all inclusive thread
Old 11-03-08, 04:47 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

what are the best injectors for the money? (brand)
Old 11-03-08, 05:01 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

what are the best injectors for the money? (brand)
RC Engineering and Precision are the two I stick with. They aren't the cheapest but they are the most accurate and reliable. There are other brands that cost less, but inaccurate fuel is not something you want to play with at 500+hp. You can usually find a set of used injectors for decently cheap...around $200-400 range. I bought my Precision 1000cc injectors used for $300 or so I think.

You can also use OEM injectors like the popular 550cc Densos from the RX7 which are a direct drop in for the stock GS300 2JZ-GE motor. Just make sure they're still good before you drop it in your car.

Just one thing to be careful when you buy used injectors is that they are still in good shape. If the injector is really old then it will either leak or even worse and have clogged nozzles. You can send old injectors off to get rebuilt. They can repair old leaky and clogged injectors to like brand new. Injectors technically never wear out, they just get dirty and once cleaned they will work like new again. Once you get it back from the injector service they will give you a flowchart with numbers or graphs showing you how much each injector flows. Ideally you want all the injectors to be within a few percent of each other.

This is the other reason why people tune for 11.5:1 AFR. It's technically on the rich side and the engine should be able to run fine at 12:0 or 12.5:1. They run it rich just to have some safety margin. Say for example one injector puts out less fuel than the others. By running everything a little richer, you have less of a chance of blowing out/melting that one cylinder.
Old 11-03-08, 05:40 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yes SRT has the most complete kit, but it comes at a price. I think their cheapest kit is $7000 range or so. Also, this Q&A covers anything turbo. Swaps and NA-T all inclusive thread
I know, I'm still trying to save up to $7-8k...
I'm half tempted to buy all the parts seperately but I just need to get a source(s), do you think I could a get a parts list by looking at whats included with the srt kit and use that as a list?

and it says Turbo, I didn't know it was for swaps too.
Old 11-03-08, 06:18 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

will the jdm 440cc injectors from the 2jzgte work?
Old 11-03-08, 06:57 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

how does the 02 skew thing work on the AEM F/IC? Does it effectively disable the o2 sensors? in other words...could i get rid of a couple of the 02 sensors without there being any problems?
Old 11-03-08, 07:26 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

jeff, what fuel system are you running? and also..how difficult is the walbro fuel pump installation?
Old 11-04-08, 10:29 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

i guess this is more of a general turbo set up question

i've been looking into manifolds it seems a lot of the cheaper 2jz manifolds are internal gate, i've never thought internal gate is the way to go.

Are there any major pros/cons in the internal vs external wastegate set ups?
Old 11-04-08, 10:44 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

will the jdm 440cc injectors from the 2jzgte work?
no, they're sidefeed injectors. get yourself 550cc denso from rx-7 FDs. the ones from SARD is ok but not as nice as the denso ones.

how does the 02 skew thing work on the AEM F/IC? Does it effectively disable the o2 sensors? in other words...could i get rid of a couple of the 02 sensors without there being any problems?
you could get rid of the sensor 2's and splice sensor 1's together to just one o2 sensor. however you have to worry about the heater circuit. most likely you will have a CEL. Don't even bother with the o2 skew until you have MAF and fuel table tuned correctly. I did a write up on clubna-t.com you should look there.

Single walbro is not hard to install at all. Dual is a bit challenging with the stock hanger. Powerhouse racing sells an Al bracket that can hold either 3 walbros or 2 denso's. Another route is to get a fuel cell and run a bosch 044.

Last edited by ElitistK; 11-04-08 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 10:52 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jriggs
i guess this is more of a general turbo set up question

i've been looking into manifolds it seems a lot of the cheaper 2jz manifolds are internal gate, i've never thought internal gate is the way to go.

Are there any major pros/cons in the internal vs external wastegate set ups?
almost all aftermarket manifold is designed for external wastegate. i would say external gate is better because of better flow (external gate is off-road use only, period. better hide it if there's inspections).

recirculated dump is much better than open dump (at the cost of like 1-2 hp?). even though you might crave the sound of open dump, trust me you'll get tired of it.

Last edited by ElitistK; 11-04-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-05-08, 10:48 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Jeff, you should start getting turbo kits together soon for everyone, . I need one and I don't want to pay almost 10k for the SRT
Old 11-05-08, 12:53 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ElitistK
get yourself 550cc denso from rx-7 FDs. the ones from SARD is ok but not as nice as the denso ones.
The one from SARD is made by Denso. In fact it's the same Denso part number as the RX-7 injectors. Just marked up a bit

Jriggs, pretty much any aftermarket manifold has external gate. I have not see one yet that is internally gated. Please show me one. External gate will yield more power and more accurate boost control.

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!