Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 06:54 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a special/certain type of oil to use with a turbo?
Old 11-06-08, 02:25 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

synthetic oil is better i use 10-40w on my past turbo cars
Old 11-06-08, 04:01 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Amsoil 20w-50 in my car. All I can say is that stuff is bad ***! Definately worth the money in my opinion. I used to use Mobil1 15w50 but that stuff breaks down pretty quickly. The Amsoil lasts longer under extreme stress vs Mobil1. Then again it does cost 2x of Mobil1 so....lol.
Old 11-06-08, 05:49 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This question is really for JeffTsai, but I think a lot of the more knowledgeable folks could answers this as well. I've always wondered, since the USDM Supra engine is basically the same as the GS-2jzge:

Q: Will the exhaust manifold from a OEM (93-96 or 97-98) Toyota Supra Turbo directly bolt on to the 2jzge?

This could be a great, inexpensive way to start a turbo build if it can be done.
Old 11-06-08, 08:55 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
This question is really for JeffTsai, but I think a lot of the more knowledgeable folks could answers this as well. I've always wondered, since the USDM Supra engine is basically the same as the GS-2jzge:

Q: Will the exhaust manifold from a OEM (93-96 or 97-98) Toyota Supra Turbo directly bolt on to the 2jzge?

This could be a great, inexpensive way to start a turbo build if it can be done.
No it doesn't fit, the exhaust ports are different and I believe the mounting holes don't line up either.
Old 11-06-08, 12:30 PM
Eddie@JP
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking into a couple of different tuning options. AEM, Haltech, Greddy, and HKS. Hopefully I choose the right one to get this going.
Old 11-06-08, 12:41 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Have you heard of

http://www.southsideimports.net/foru...p?do=addmember
Old 11-06-08, 12:43 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

They have a B.O.D.I. system that seems reputable.

CarbonGS, do you have any feedback on this one?
Old 11-06-08, 01:53 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Nope it does not fit. The engine is categorized wether it is a 2JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GE. The 2JZ-GTE VVTI and non-VVTi share the same exhaust port spacing and bolts. The 2JZ-GE VVTi and non-VVTi share the same exhaust port and spacing. So basically you can't put a GTE manifold on a GE nor can you put a GE on a GTE. This applies for both the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Originally Posted by Eddie@JP
I'm looking into a couple of different tuning options. AEM, Haltech, Greddy, and HKS. Hopefully I choose the right one to get this going.
If you have the money and have a good local tuner/dealer then I would go with the HKS. The reason I mention that is because first of all it is not cheap for HKS stuff, and second HKS standalones can only be tuned by an authorized tuner/reseller. You can't get the tuning software without being authorized. It will run you around $4-4.5k or so with everything said and done. Including the wiring and tuning. If you don't have that much money to spend the AEM EMS and Haltech E8 or E11 are all excellent systems to run as well. The AEM and Haltechs will still be in the $2500-3500 range with everything done with depending on which setup you go with. This is only if you take it to a shop to do. If you can install and tune it yourself then you can do it for about half price.

BTW: The greddy emanage ultimate is junk if you're seeking to make some serious power.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 11-06-08 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-06-08, 03:32 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

what oil lines do you recommend?
Old 11-06-08, 04:39 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have a B.O.D.I. system that seems reputable.

CarbonGS, do you have any feedback on this one?
Yeah, I want some feedback on this too. Seems like a good deal.
Old 11-06-08, 09:26 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
I built my own oil lines with nascar spec Teflon lined stainless braided hose. If you already have the function7 feed and return flanges then you're half way there. There are some ebay sellers selling turbo oil line kits. I used that for my first turbo setup and it worked just fine. Just don't trust the flanges because I cracked both of the flanges that came in the ebay oil line kit.
Old 11-07-08, 06:25 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

If you have the money and have a good local tuner/dealer then I would go with the HKS. The reason I mention that is because first of all it is not cheap for HKS stuff, and second HKS standalones can only be tuned by an authorized tuner/reseller. You can't get the tuning software without being authorized. It will run you around $4-4.5k or so with everything said and done. Including the wiring and tuning. If you don't have that much money to spend the AEM EMS and Haltech E8 or E11 are all excellent systems to run as well. The AEM and Haltechs will still be in the $2500-3500 range with everything done with depending on which setup you go with. This is only if you take it to a shop to do. If you can install and tune it yourself then you can do it for about half price.
That is not true of the HKS, I bought the ECU, PnP harness, IAT, MAP and IAT/MAP PnP harness for less than $2000 (brand new! not second hand) and install plus tune was only another $1200. If I were doing the VVT-i swap (which I have ) I would strongly recommend this unit. (IF you have a PRO dealer local to you of course. It doesn't make any sense to buy one if you are in Texas and the closest dealer is Oregon, lol) The only time that the Vpro gets expensive is when you start adding on the accessories. The AFK ($1500), the Navigator ($350), the DLI II ($400) etc. . . (which I have added ) For just the basic system it is just as "affordable" as the AEM, and doesn't require a custom harness like the Haltech.

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
I have the GReddy T78-33d turbo kit for my car, the oil feed/return lines are JUNK. I went to MVP motorsports for the oil feed and return lines. http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...776&SearchYN=N Fit and Finish for a premade kit is superb. And cost is only $225. It is a small price to pay for a premade kit that saves your knuckles and finger tips (for any one that has tried to put together Earl's lines before )

on a side note, I would also recommend the turbo blanket on the top of the page also. Keeps the heat from the turbo at the turbo not in your engine bay. ThermoTec the downpipe as well. As one of our members knows, there is ALOT of wires under the hood on that side of the car to get damaged and mybe even catch on fire because of just how hot the turbo can get.
Old 11-07-08, 07:38 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

I know this doesn't really matter lol...but what kind of gas mileage does a FI car get? (normal driving-under 4k)
Old 11-07-08, 08:06 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

My swap is currently untuned, but I went from just under 500km a tank to about 250km a tank. (hopefully that will change after my fcon is installed and tuned )

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!