Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 10:46 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DONT bypass the regulator, get an aeromotive 1:1.
Old 02-09-09, 02:20 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
DONT bypass the regulator, get an aeromotive 1:1.
crap. I forgot to change that. thanks!

Last edited by mtparker18; 02-09-09 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 01:22 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Alright. I think I've got my parts list ready for review .

Turbo (400whp)

Club Na-t turbo kit
Bigger cam
FMIC
AEM FI/C
O2 gauge
Cam Gear
Headgasket
ARP Headstuds
NGK plugs
Fuel pump
Precision Injectors
Aeromotive 1:1
Exhaust cutout
Boost controller

Tranny:

Sprag upgrade
Valve Body
Cooler

Is there anything I'm forgetting? Will this help me hit my 400whp mark?
Anyone else think this will work?
Old 02-11-09, 02:50 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

personally i'd rather run meth than an FMIC but that's just me. But that's a good setup to get you at least close to 400whp if not above it.
Old 02-11-09, 03:01 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

personally i'd rather run meth than an FMIC but that's just me. But that's a good setup to get you at least close to 400whp if not above it.
why would you run meth vs. FMIC?
Old 02-11-09, 03:05 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

why would you run meth vs. FMIC?
no pressure drop, more effective cooling outside of highway speeds, more detonation resistance so technically no need to reduce the compression ratio and make the engine less efficient.

FMICs are tough to size exactly correct, they can suck away the pressure your turbo is working so hard to make, and unless you're driving at a decent speed (let's face it, our front bumpers, even aftermarket, are not well designed for front mounts) they really are only capable of cooling the air to ambient temp.

There's nothing wrong with running both, but if at all possible i'd rather save the money for an FMIC and piping and possibly not have to tear apart my motor.
Old 02-11-09, 03:27 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

no pressure drop, more effective cooling outside of highway speeds, more detonation resistance so technically no need to reduce the compression ratio and make the engine less efficient.

FMICs are tough to size exactly correct, they can suck away the pressure your turbo is working so hard to make, and unless you're driving at a decent speed (let's face it, our front bumpers, even aftermarket, are not well designed for front mounts) they really are only capable of cooling the air to ambient temp.

There's nothing wrong with running both, but if at all possible i'd rather save the money for an FMIC and piping and possibly not have to tear apart my motor.

hmmm. I'll have to look into that...
Old 02-24-09, 05:49 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok..quick question...ive been told you can run 9psi max on stock HG and fuel (around 8.5 max in my case) but then these ppl keep popping up saying that i would really mess something up if i tried to run 9psi on the stock setup....has anyone done that? or know of someone that has?
Old 02-27-09, 12:44 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

What would be the pros and cons to pieceing together a GTE vs. just buying the complete swap?

Would it be better to peice than getting the complete swap if I wanted to get 350-400 hp when I drop it in?
Old 02-27-09, 01:34 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
ok..quick question...ive been told you can run 9psi max on stock HG and fuel (around 8.5 max in my case) but then these ppl keep popping up saying that i would really mess something up if i tried to run 9psi on the stock setup....has anyone done that? or know of someone that has?
All of the guys on NA-T have been successful at 8psi on stock fuel. Lowering the CR with a headgasket is fine but if you run meth you don't necessarily need it and won't be reducing the efficiency of the motor. I guess it really depends on the condition of your internals. I would not recommend 9psi without upgrading fuel (stock injectors are only good to 270whp, 9psi should be closer to 300, thus pushing them past their limit to where they are not effective and just dumping fuel in).

What would be the pros and cons to pieceing together a GTE vs. just buying the complete swap?

Would it be better to peice than getting the complete swap if I wanted to get 350-400 hp when I drop it in?
better off getting a full clip (engine, ecu, tranny, harness etc.) that way you know everything is there and all you have to do is a little house keeping before you drop her in. Besides, with all the stuff involved, id hate to forget a couple small pieces and not have the car running, have to tear it all apart just to find out it was some minute detail missing.
Old 02-27-09, 04:37 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

better off getting a full clip (engine, ecu, tranny, harness etc.) that way you know everything is there and all you have to do is a little house keeping before you drop her in. Besides, with all the stuff involved, id hate to forget a couple small pieces and not have the car running, have to tear it all apart just to find out it was some minute detail missing.
Thats what I was planning on doing. But What about the internals? Wouldn't I need to take the motor apart and clean it down?
Old 03-06-09, 06:27 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

hey guys,
looking to see compatibility of a 93 SC300 turbo kit to a 98 GS300. can i just transfer all my parts over to a GS300 with little issue (other than downpipe)?

reason i ask is i was just rear ended by a motorcycle but don't know how much it's going to cost to fix it so starting to look at possible alternatives. thanks and here's the link to my thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-ends-you.html
Old 03-06-09, 02:54 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

i am rearmounting my kit, any suggestions!
Old 10-29-09, 10:57 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

What's up guys.
Time to revive this thread

I still haven't done much with my turbo. After looking at it more, it doesn't have a V-Band flange and my shop was a bit flakey with it. My goal is still 400whp. I've found a t60-1 on Ebay for around 700. Would a t60-1 be a good turbo as far as spool time and my power goal?
Old 11-12-09, 01:20 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

hey jeff you got another way i can contact ya isntead of pm via cl

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE Turbo Q&A Thread!