Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

short ram or cold air

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08 | 11:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Cold air sucks air into the engine from outside the car. Not under the hood like SRI. The air under the hood gets hot since it is located where the engine is. Taking air from outside of the engine gives a colder charge which mean it is denser = has more oxygen = more HP.

My friends work at a local tuner store. They have track cars. They have done a test on a 350z/g35 3.5 liter engine with a CAI and SRI. The CAI gain HP and torque as usual but then the SRI loose HP but gains torque. I am sure many people on clublexus also know that SRI loose HP because I remember someone posting that somewhere here.

When you're driving down the road at 40mph+, you're going to get a lot of air flowing so the engine heat isn't even a concern. You dont want too cold of air. Thermal efficiency goes down since you want heat for combustion. There needs to be a balance so it's not correct to just say CAI is better because the intake temp is 'colder'.
Old 11-05-08 | 12:32 PM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Do you even know what short ram is? Short ram sucks in hot air which makes your engine hotter. Why would you want hot air in your engine? You want cold air.. Cold air = cools engine.

SO F-sport is the way to go.
the difference in the temperature is only a couple to few degrees at most. (Fahrenheit, not Celssius) it really doesnt make a difference. and especially for the 2is, the stock intake made so geniously made that an aftermarket intake will give you very little gain then what is advertised. so it true that intake is mostly for sound on our cars. even the F-sport doesnt give that much gain. and to be honest, i think short rams sound better, imo. i have injen short ram and loving it. To OP, just go for something you like thats reasonably priced. intake, really, does not do much for our cars except make it louder. what a lot of people i saw do was just get a JoeZ pipe and keep the stock intake filter. litteraly keeps same specs, a few hp gain, and a lot louder. its all on your preference. cold air or short ram, does exactly the same for our cars. HAHHAHA *sigh*
Old 11-05-08 | 05:14 PM
g0tpersian
Rookie

look, kurtz said it the best.

If you really want 'cold' air intake, then you gotta locate your intake down by your right headlight. Doesn't matter what intake you have, just make sure you have the necessary parts.
Old 11-06-08 | 09:23 PM
odj1989
Driver

if i get the joez pipe and keep the stok intake filter, would the warranty go away for the car?
Old 11-06-08 | 09:45 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
When you're driving down the road at 40mph+, you're going to get a lot of air flowing so the engine heat isn't even a concern. You dont want too cold of air. Thermal efficiency goes down since you want heat for combustion. There needs to be a balance so it's not correct to just say CAI is better because the intake temp is 'colder'.
This doesn't make sense.. So what you are saying the faster I drive the cooler the engine gets?? Uhh.. no..

Originally Posted by KrapWerdna
the difference in the temperature is only a couple to few degrees at most. (Fahrenheit, not Celssius) it really doesnt make a difference. and especially for the 2is, the stock intake made so geniously made that an aftermarket intake will give you very little gain then what is advertised. so it true that intake is mostly for sound on our cars. even the F-sport doesnt give that much gain. and to be honest, i think short rams sound better, imo. i have injen short ram and loving it. To OP, just go for something you like thats reasonably priced. intake, really, does not do much for our cars except make it louder. what a lot of people i saw do was just get a JoeZ pipe and keep the stock intake filter. litteraly keeps same specs, a few hp gain, and a lot louder. its all on your preference. cold air or short ram, does exactly the same for our cars. HAHHAHA *sigh*
A few degrees can make a difference to the engine. Why do you think people have proved the SRI to loose HP than gain HP. The engine is running hot already and sucking in warm air isn't going to help it. If you are looking for an intake that loose HP but sounds good then get a SRI. If you want an intake that gains HP and still sounds good then get a CAI. Regardless if it is just a few HP. It can make a difference if you are trying to squeeze out the most HP possible and track time.
Old 11-07-08 | 01:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

This doesn't make sense.. So what you are saying the faster I drive the cooler the engine gets?? Uhh.. no..
No you're not understanding this. The faster you drive, the more air circulation you have in the engine bay. The air that passes through the radiator has got to go somewhere. What you're assuming is only true if the car is sitting still. Do you really believe the temperature under the hood going 50+ mph is the same as the heat that's released by the engine? I hope not..
Why do you think people have proved the SRI to loose HP than gain HP.

Just because some SRI lose power at certain revs doesn't necessarily mean the same applies to all SRI. I know for a fact that my previous intake (on a GS400) gained power of at least 10whp on the top end. Trap speed indicates increase in power too.

Last edited by GSteg; 11-07-08 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-07-08 | 10:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by odj1989
if i get the joez pipe and keep the stok intake filter, would the warranty go away for the car?
No. Why would it?
Old 11-07-08 | 11:11 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by odj1989
no. for almost any modification you do to to your car, for a warranty work to be voided or denied they have to prove that the modification in question caused the problem that needs fixing. so, if for example your stock rear shocks blow out, they can't say oh you have an intake so we wont fix it under warranty.
Old 11-08-08 | 09:52 AM
Hyeroler
Driver School Candidate

from what ive heard...if u live in California a cold air wont do much good...so i went with the short ram
Old 11-08-08 | 01:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hyeroler
from what ive heard...if u live in California a cold air wont do much good...so i went with the short ram
which does no good AND isn't legal in California
Old 11-28-08 | 04:50 PM
Koz

JoeZ with a drop-in filter and cut a 3" hole in the front of the stock air box. Works and sounds just like the F-Sport.

Koz
Old 12-03-08 | 02:01 AM
Low Life
Pole Position

isnt the joe z intake a short ram?
and what makes the joe z intake any better than this one which comes with a cone type filter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HPS-A...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 12-03-08 | 05:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350LOVER
isnt the joe z intake a short ram?
and what makes the joe z intake any better than this one which comes with a cone type filter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HPS-A...1%7C240%3A1318
What makes it better is two things:

1) It doesn't use a cone type filter that sucks in hot air (which is part of why it's NOT a short ram). It retains the use of the stock, sealed, airbox. The cone filter is a complete loser here because the stock airbox already pulls more air than the engine can use and it's colder air.

2) It's cheaper too.

So it offers better performance for less money.

The only thing it doesn't offer is a bunch of extra noise.