Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SS Headers input, question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 09:30 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The headers add real usable power than you can actually feel to the GS400 and even more to the 430s since they have even worse factory manifolds than the 400s.

Even MORE important is the improvement in engine response and the mid range power and torque. While an improvement in peak power is great it is the mid range power than makes a street car that much more fun to drive. The power and response if everywhere in the RPM range.

For people that are really concerned about inspections: yes, they are direct bolt on parts and are designed specifically for the catalysts to be used just as stock. These were designed to fit INSIDE the stock factory heat shields. Although there are no provisions to install the shields on the S&S headers that would be a possibility for someone with a little ingenuity. I could see welding a couple of tabs to the headers that the heat shields could bolt to. If this were done it would look just like stock and never be given a second glance at inspection.

This would only work with the 400s as the shields for the 430s would not fit.
I guess you could buy some 400s shields and fit them over the headers on a 430 if you were really concerned.

Here is a picture of the prototype headers fitting inside the heat shields:
Attached Thumbnails SS Headers input, question-im001407.jpg  
Old 11-15-08, 09:32 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

another view, remember these were NOT production headers but the very first mock up parts as the headers were under design
Attached Thumbnails SS Headers input, question-im001417.jpg  
Old 11-15-08, 09:37 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

One more prototype while I am at it. Keep in mind this was S&S owner and fabricator Mr. Loren Barnes creating these WITHOUT a car!!!

I sent him the factory manifolds and heat shields and he designed them from there. He sent them to me mid way for review and that is when I took these pics. I suggested a couple of minor changes for steering clearance and requested 1.5" primaries vs. the 1.625" shown in the prototypes. This is key to getting the over all mid range response everyone reports.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails SS Headers input, question-im001413.jpg  
Old 11-15-08, 09:42 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here is a pic of the S&S with cats installed
Attached Thumbnails SS Headers input, question-ss-20headers-20plus-20cats.jpg  
Old 11-15-08, 09:44 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here is a pic comparing to the stock 430 manifold. Notice the stock is a single restrictive tube.
Attached Thumbnails SS Headers input, question-oem-20vs-20ss.jpg  
Old 11-15-08, 10:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The OEM GS430 manifold looks like it really suck the power out of the V8!

Inspection was what really killed it for me. I guess I will try to find a way to utilize the OEM shield.

Can any of you guys report fuel economy changes? I commute a good amount so I gotta keep my mpg up, but I also like the rush of power
Old 11-15-08, 11:14 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The OEM GS430 manifold looks like it really suck the power out of the V8!

Inspection was what really killed it for me. I guess I will try to find a way to utilize the OEM shield.

Can any of you guys report fuel economy changes? I commute a good amount so I gotta keep my mpg up, but I also like the rush of power
Well, I really did not anticipate your response BUT...

I would guess (and can call and probably arrange) for S&S to custom add mounting tabs for the stock GS400 heat shields. Now, this would cost extra and require GS400 heat shields to be provided. I am not certain but I believe you could also request the titanium ceramic coating which would be very un-noticable.

So, if you really want this I will help you.

Also, if anything I would expect your POTENTIAL mileage to increase. With extra power and response it may be hard not to USE the power and that would of course reduce your gas mileage BUT with prudent use of the throttle the improved efficiency of the headers will actually allow for more MPGs. It will of course be up to the user to realize this potential
Old 11-15-08, 11:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I think I might just throw some dirt on the headers and call it a day I'm still thinking about it because I stopped modding my car a long time ago. It wasn't until the other day that I realized how slow my car is. Looking for bang for the buck mod, hence why I'm turning to headers as my next mod.
Old 11-16-08, 03:23 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

You will not have a problem, they fit like oem and are hard to see from the top. Besides, I doubt a smog shop will give you any problems, only the ref if you ever get sent there, but I hear they are closed do to state budget

Why post when you don't know
http://www.bar.ca.gov/
Old 11-16-08, 03:45 AM
evil00017
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pingu

lol touche. I didnt know they had been reinstated either.
Old 11-16-08, 10:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

California actually got a budget passed?
Old 11-16-08, 10:16 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

this is good subject to talk about, i'm looking to gain more hp on my slow-gs300 :\

+bookmarked....

GSteg, let me know when you get ss headers, I wanna know how many hp you gain
Old 11-16-08, 03:07 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu

I knew they were closed and I was told they would not re-open till next year, so it's not like I am making this ish up since they were closed last month. However; thanks for letting my self and the forum know that they are now re-open
Old 11-17-08, 12:56 AM
evil00017
Pole Position

Originally Posted by masboy
this is good subject to talk about, i'm looking to gain more hp on my slow-gs300 :\

+bookmarked....

GSteg, let me know when you get ss headers, I wanna know how many hp you gain
why are you curious what he makes on his v8 when ur runing a i6. A i6 will never make decent hp without a tubo. Hell i remember reading about a i6 with a s/c that made as much hp as a bolt on v8. You need a turbo.
Old 11-18-08, 01:08 PM
HibriaDTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because he is curious, even a few hp can make a difference. I was going to ask the same question

Quick Reply: SS Headers input, question