Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SS Headers input, question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 05:13 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by masboy
this is good subject to talk about, i'm looking to gain more hp on my slow-gs300 :\
+bookmarked....

GSteg, let me know when you get ss headers, I wanna know how many hp you gain
Originally Posted by evil00017
why are you curious what he makes on his v8 when ur runing a i6. A i6 will never make decent hp without a tubo. Hell i remember reading about a i6 with a s/c that made as much hp as a bolt on v8. You need a turbo.
Originally Posted by HibriaDTR
Because he is curious, even a few hp can make a difference. I was going to ask the same question
What evil00017 is trying to let masboy know is that these headers will not work on his car because they are only made for the GS400/430 (V8). Masboy stated he is looking to gain more power, so incase he missed that we are talking about S&S headers, evil00017 is telling masboy these headers will not work in his car.
So, although a few hp can make a difference, ordering the wrong parts will make a bigger difference in wasting money
Besides, there is tons of information on these headers already. If you are interested, search S&S headers.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 11-18-08 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 04:58 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
not every product will add exactly what they say some times they say it will add 17hp when u add intake but when u dyno ur car u found just u add 8hp that mean dont be sure about any product
I've got the JPI headers and it added +17 on the DYNO so the claims of 20 hp is not far fetched...
Old 11-19-08, 07:41 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the fonz has spoken masboy, look into mazzuri supers for the 300. theyre the best for the 300 that i've heard so far.

dxb_8788...you're right, a lot of parts dont add the horsepower they say they will. But in this particular case, where you're discussing it with guys like fonzy (look at his sig pic) and speedaddic (look at the first line of his sig) i'd be inclined to listen. And what you're specifically referring to, is probably the fact that youre losing power through the drivetrain, which is inevitable. That's why its important to read the fine print and see whether the company is claiming those gains at the crank or bhp/whp
Old 12-13-08, 09:58 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

whats the average install time on these headers on a 430? I was really not up for doing the install, but im starting to reconsider getting these for my car. And is most of the work done from the bottom or the top?? thanks
Old 12-13-08, 11:20 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd be down for an SS but I sure would hate to have them removed for smog!!!!

searched on found this ~$60 cheaper

I wonder wht's the difference? coating?

Damn, I shoulda done this instead of the overpriced SRT intake thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is/was there a group buy?

Last edited by sam430; 12-13-08 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-13-08, 12:38 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
whats the average install time on these headers on a 430? I was really not up for doing the install, but im starting to reconsider getting these for my car. And is most of the work done from the bottom or the top?? thanks
I forgot what the book calls for, but I think it is 8 or 10hrs. If you can find a place that will do it for $500 and under, jump on it. There have been people that have paid up to $1000 +

The headers come out from the bottom, but you will still need access from the top to loosen some of the bolts on the manifold.
Old 12-13-08, 12:39 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
searched on found this ~$60 cheaper
I wonder wht's the difference? coating?
Those are the exact same that Carson sells.
Old 12-13-08, 01:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

btw...I woudn't trust that site...kinda sketchy. Not worth the $60 savings.
Old 12-13-08, 01:24 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
btw...I woudn't trust that site...kinda sketchy. Not worth the $60 savings.
LOL, there is nothing wrong with that site, that is who makes S&S headers.
Old 12-13-08, 01:41 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S&S headers are ok in the sense that they're so available. I'm sure there's a shelf somewhere with pallet loads of them. The problem I and other have with them is the fact that the construction is rather cheap. The piping is a mild steel with a very thin wall, and every set I've laid hands on has been prone to cracking. The fix for us has been to get the sets in, and then immediately reweld them with stronger materials so as to reinforce them. On a side note, and I don't want to pass this along as gospel, but the headers have a certain heir of being made in China for $30 a set. Holding them up the other clearly Chinese made manifolds, the similarities are apparent. It's a shame that it's the only real option now; a quality SS set with thick wall tubing would run quite a bit more than what S&S are fetching.

Eric
Old 12-14-08, 09:38 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Eric, your post is dissapointing. I am unsure as to your motivation other than some kind of competition with me... and that is unnecessary. I believe both of us have the same goal and that is to improve the performance of these poorly supported engines.

So, let me address your points which I consider at the very least misleading. I do this after you and I have already had this discussion online and I would hope that you would be more careful before making spurious statements. I am CERTAIN that you would hope for the same courtesy.

Originally Posted by c0wboy

S&S headers are ok in the sense that they're so available. I'm sure there's a shelf somewhere with pallet loads of them.
Well, NO, there are NOT pallets available. S&S is a small shop that builds on site to supply demand. The headers are "OK" because they WORK and make power AND torque accross the entire RPM range and improve the feel of the car both full throttle and in the important area of throttle response.

The problem I and other have with them is the fact that the construction is rather cheap. The piping is a mild steel with a very thin wall, and every set I've laid hands on has been prone to cracking.
I am fairly sure you and I discussed this online specifically. The original 30 sets used 16 gauge tubing. Here is the first post on the thread I started specifically on this issue back in September.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...nt-design.html
Originally Posted by jbrady
I just spoke with S&S Headers owner/designer Mr. Loren Barnes.

There has been NO reported failures/cracking of the current Lexus V8 headers.

The first run of headers, aproximately 30 sets, tended to have tubing cracks develop after several thousand miles of use. This resulted in S&S changing both the steel tubing thickness and welding pattern.

Original tubing thickness was 16 gauge = 0.065 inch tubing wall thickness

Upgrade/current design is 14 gauge = 0.083 inch tubing wall thickness

This is an increase in tubing thickness of 28%

The fix for us has been to get the sets in, and then immediately reweld them with stronger materials so as to reinforce them.
Should NOT be necessary. That said, if there are any problems that ANYBODY knows of with the CURRENT S&S construction please both post on CL and contact Loren at S&S. Also, please contact me as I am interested. So far I am unaware of any problem with the current parts.

On a side note, and I don't want to pass this along as gospel, but the headers have a certain heir of being made in China for $30 a set. Holding them up the other clearly Chinese made manifolds, the similarities are apparent. It's a shame that it's the only real option now;
Do your homework Sir... this kind of statement is slanderous. S&S are built in craftsmen Arizona USA not by slaves in China. Otherwise you could buy them on ebay for $150 and help kill American jobs while supporting Chinese slavery and environmental disrespect.

a quality SS set with thick wall tubing would run quite a bit more than what S&S are fetching.

Eric
While not as thick as steampipe, 14 gauge is not thin. You are correct a quality set of stainless headers would cost much more than $600 if made in the USA.

I am actually surprised that your group has not come up with your own headers for the market... why not?
Old 12-14-08, 11:40 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

How come no other company makes headers for these cars?? It seems like there is a pretty high demand for them, so someone should grab a set of s&s and use them for mockup or build some from scratch out of better and thicker material. If I had acces to a welder and some pipe benders I would be all over this, but I dont. Im going to contact a few local shops to see what they say.
Old 12-14-08, 02:37 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
How come no other company makes headers for these cars?? It seems like there is a pretty high demand for them, so someone should grab a set of s&s and use them for mockup or build some from scratch out of better and thicker material. If I had acces to a welder and some pipe benders I would be all over this, but I dont. Im going to contact a few local shops to see what they say.
Why do you want to re-invent the wheel? Those headers work great and are of decent enough quality. I did get the first batch and they did crack, but that is nothing unheard of. I have seen many headers, along with stock exhaust manifolds from various vehicles crack. I just dealt with it, since it was an easy fix for me to do my self. However; S&S dealt with the problem as well.
I give S&S a lot of credit for taking care of the issues they were having with the headers and making things right for their customers, not many businesses do this
Old 12-14-08, 06:04 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JBrady, we don't produce any headers for the GS. There's no one that's willing to pay what they're worth. When we produce manifolds, it's out of .125 thick stainless and that gets pricey. Couple that with the low production numbers and there you have it.

I'm only disagreeding with you as I'm not cheering these mani's on. The only plus to the is the fact that they're available. And also fwiw, we measured tubing walls as thin as .048. That's way thin for mild steel. I won't go so far as to say that they're junk for that fact that they do fit, but the ones that I've held in my hands have had to be rewelded in order to strengthen the weak points. I know you say they're not made in China and that's cool. They just look it, that's all.

Laters,

Eric
Old 12-14-08, 07:49 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It is not that I "say" they are not made in China it is a fact.

You say that you have measured tubing thickness as small as .048"
You say that all the units you have had needed rewelding/strengthening.

Didn't we discuss this on another thread. Didn't you say you did not know what batch you had or were refering to?

The originals were designed to use .065" tubing which is pretty standard stuff on street headers. Is it possible someone accidently pulled some 18 gauge (.049") for the set you mentioned? Yes, possible. Was the point you measured the outside bend? If so ALL tubing gets thinner as it is stretched by the mandrel. Did you actually witness the measuring or is this someone else telling you?

I would argue the best thing about the S&S headers is that the WORK. I doubt anyone will build a header that performs significantly better for the appllication (NA, near stock, stock replacement, uses cats as factory, over all performance including throttle response, low range power, high end power and efficiency/economy).

Do you have any pictures of your headers made out of .125" stainless?

I see you and or your customer are running the S&S headers on one of your high end efforts.

Quick Reply: SS Headers input, question