Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SS Headers input, question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 11:28 AM
Bliggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Headers input, question

I searched a bunch of threads and sounds like theres a good bit of power to be gained. Is it really 20whp though? Guys that have added these ss headers, could you tell an improvment in power and sound or more less sound? Will they directly bolt on to my stock exhaust on my 02 430? Thanks, just looking for more input. Also, Im running the srt intake/ecu, welded in magnaflow mufflers and straight piped 2 center resonators. When I add the ss headers should I get the apexi neo and dump the srt ecu, is there untapped power I could find with this setup?
Old 11-15-08, 01:32 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

i dont think they will add 20hp
Old 11-15-08, 01:54 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S&S headers will bolt right in and can gain 15-20hp eassy. I bet you can get more power if you ditch the SRT system and even more if you get A/F controller. Someone a while ago said they felt better response with Injen intake over SRT after installing headers. Adding headers will not change exhaust sound much, it just makes it sound a little deeper.
Old 11-15-08, 03:01 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've heard, the S&S headers are right up there in the bang-for-your-buck list. A pain to install, but worth it in the end. Minimal if any tone change.
Old 11-15-08, 05:52 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
i dont think they will add 20hp
Why would you comment about them when you obviously dont know??

They do exactly what fonzy said. If you do a little research I believe there was a guy who dynoed 20 wheel so it is very possible to get that much power. I think it was on a 430 too.

A question I have about them is can you bolt your stock cats up to them? I want to get these but living in CA they are illegal. Im wondering how easy it would be to pull one over on the smog shop if I tried to make them look as stock as possible.

Last edited by evil00017; 11-15-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 06:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evil00017
They do exactly what fonzy said

A question I have about them is can you bolt your stock cats up to them? I want to get these but living in CA they are illegal. Im wondering how easy it would be to pull one over on the smog shop if I tried to make them look as stock as possible.
You will not have a problem, they fit like oem and are hard to see from the top. Besides, I doubt a smog shop will give you any problems, only the ref if you ever get sent there, but I hear they are closed do to state budget
Old 11-15-08, 06:19 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

You will not have a problem, they fit like oem and are hard to see from the top. Besides, I doubt a smog shop will give you any problems, only the ref if you ever get sent there, but I hear they are closed do to state budget
Thats awesome Im definantly gonna pick me up a set at some point than.
Old 11-15-08, 06:28 PM
dxb_8788
Pole Position

They do exactly what fonzy said. If you do a little research I believe there was a guy who dynoed 20 wheel so it is very possible to get that much power. I think it was on a 430 too.

not every product will add exactly what they say some times they say it will add 17hp when u add intake but when u dyno ur car u found just u add 8hp that mean dont be sure about any product
Old 11-15-08, 06:30 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have these on an sc430 (same engine) and you immediately notice the power right through the range.

The new ones are much better quality and had mine for about a year now with no problems.

It was pearlpower that dyno'd the headers in the SC430 forum.
Old 11-15-08, 06:43 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bliggity
I searched a bunch of threads and sounds like theres a good bit of power to be gained. Is it really 20whp though?
Please re-read

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
not every product will add exactly what they say some times they say it will add 17hp when u add intake but when u dyno ur car u found just u add 8hp that mean dont be sure about any product
Please post where S&S claims any power gains, all the posts about S&S power gains are real user testimonials, not seller's BS to sell their product.
Just remember anytime you post inaccurate staments, you are loosing credability, if that means anything to you, plus people think you are full ish.
Old 11-15-08, 06:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
but I hear they are closed do to state budget
My friend is crying right now. He just finished swapping an LS6 into his older camaro and needs it to be certified. In the meantime, he's rolling around in a Toyota Corolla

Its hard enough to see the OEM manifolds already. I've always thought about coating the headers to make it look a bit rusty like OEM. I just need something to push me over the edge before I buy it.
Old 11-15-08, 07:56 PM
Bliggity
Pole Position

I spoke to someone at ss headers and he said he has never seen stock headers that were soo restrictive and he couldn't believe the power the motor was producing with the terrible stock headers.
Old 11-15-08, 08:16 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bliggity
I spoke to someone at ss headers and he said he has never seen stock headers that were soo restrictive and he couldn't believe the power the motor was producing with the terrible stock headers.
Yea the stock manifolds are horrible thats why you can realistically gain 20wheel off headers.
Old 11-15-08, 08:41 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
My friend is crying right now. He just finished swapping an LS6 into his older camaro and needs it to be certified. In the meantime, he's rolling around in a Toyota Corolla

Its hard enough to see the OEM manifolds already. I've always thought about coating the headers to make it look a bit rusty like OEM. I just need something to push me over the edge before I buy it.
What year camaro? I am sure cops won't be able to tell the swap, unless it's a Honda, that's were all the special training went

Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll hit you up, so you can see how hard it is to tell they are there to the untrained eye.
Old 11-15-08, 09:07 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

what do u have on ur car fonz?

Quick Reply: SS Headers input, question