Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is Royal Purple Max Gear O.K. to use in the Supra 3.76 LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 01:21 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Is Royal Purple Max Gear O.K. to use in the Supra 3.76 LSD?

I have read a couple of previous posts and some say that it is NOT GOOD to run a differential fluid w/friction modifiers in this type of LSD; it's the torsen style. I had this thing installed a little over a year from now and ever since DAY 1 the car makes sort of a dragging/slight grinding noise on turns at low speeds. Also, lately in the morning on initial slow acceleration it makes a low tone; almost like a slight vibration...which goes away once the car gets warmed up.

I am thinking of ditching the Royal Purple and going with something else. Did I break anything? I hope to god that when I replace this fluid that I don't see little metal pieces come out. Was this fluid wrong for my application?
Old 11-20-08, 01:57 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...oops. I think I made a similar thread about a month ago. Maybe I'll just use Redline 75w90 (not the NS type) this time.
Old 11-20-08, 10:20 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do the flush then take it from there. I doubt you bought it new, so who knows what kind of abuse that thing received, however; I thought that LSD were one of the toughest out there, so there shouldn't be much wrong with it. Also, it does not need a friction modifier, but doubt it will hurt it if you use an oil like red line that already has it.
Old 11-20-08, 10:38 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if i remember right, motul also makes a gear oil for limited slip differentials. i think it was called gear 300V i donno if anyone has done a review for it, but i know we sold quite a bit of it to guys running lsd's.
Old 11-21-08, 05:58 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I would do the flush then take it from there. I doubt you bought it new, so who knows what kind of abuse that thing received, however; I thought that LSD were one of the toughest out there, so there shouldn't be much wrong with it. Also, it does not need a friction modifier, but doubt it will hurt it if you use an oil like red line that already has it.
...it actually WAS brand new. Ask Apex84 (Leroy); when he belonged to the official Team Lexus he had this unit up for sale in the classifieds about 2 years ago. it was supposed to go into their race GS400 but never made it; it was an extra and this is when they were closing down. I bought it for $1100/shipped and came WITH 2 brand new rear axles (half shafts) as well! It was a great deal and couldn't pass it up.
Old 11-21-08, 07:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...it actually WAS brand new. Ask Apex84 (Leroy); when he belonged to the official Team Lexus he had this unit up for sale in the classifieds about 2 years ago. it was supposed to go into their race GS400 but never made it; it was an extra and this is when they were closing down. I bought it for $1100/shipped and came WITH 2 brand new rear axles (half shafts) as well! It was a great deal and couldn't pass it up.
That's a grat deal, my mistake
Anyways, try that red line stuff. It's suppose to be the best out there.
Old 11-22-08, 08:08 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The royal purple max gear oil should not give you any problems. I used it in both my GS300 and Supra and have no problems at all. Make sure you run a 75w 90 and not the 80w 140 as that is too thick for this type of rear end. Also, wanna sell me the set of axles that those rear end came with when you bought it from team lexus. I could always use a spare set as I've broken them in the past from wheel hop.
Old 11-24-08, 07:01 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
The royal purple max gear oil should not give you any problems. I used it in both my GS300 and Supra and have no problems at all. Make sure you run a 75w 90 and not the 80w 140 as that is too thick for this type of rear end. Also, wanna sell me the set of axles that those rear end came with when you bought it from team lexus. I could always use a spare set as I've broken them in the past from wheel hop.
You have PM.