Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BUILT tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 06:03 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGAS DRE
canada huh ! your like in jdm heaven besides being in japan,china ! dont you guys get auto tt supra trannies dirt cheap over there? i heard of people laying down 600+rwhp on auto tt trannies that have been upgraded !
i can get an auto tt tranny. but will it work on my car? is it a direct swap? the problem with canada is there is nobody to do the installs...
Old 11-27-08, 06:05 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mex lex
Yeah Boost Logic's auto TT transmissions are proven to hold power, that is who I'd go to for my build if I had an a340e.

It is not so much how much power the transmission will hold, but more importantly for how long? You could push 700rwhp through a built tranny but how long will it hold? Maybe a couple dyno runs? A week? Three months?

So black_gs99, no burnouts or donuts? Do you go to the track?
yea i hear you...i need this tranny to last as long as possible! i dont do donuts or burnouts...i will do some dyno runs since i need to tune but other than that it only sees 5k rpms and above maybe once a week...i still baby this damn thing...
Old 12-02-08, 03:44 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I would also try talking with Import Performance Transmissions. They have built transmissions for Toyota/Lexus. I am placing a fully built tranny into my ride. It's a TT'd 1uz looking at a conservative 600+hp to the wheels.
Old 12-02-08, 04:17 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
I would also try talking with Import Performance Transmissions. They have built transmissions for Toyota/Lexus. I am placing a fully built tranny into my ride. It's a TT'd 1uz looking at a conservative 600+hp to the wheels.
Many IS300 guys claim they have had bad experiences with IPT. I can't say from personal experience, but just giving a heads up and to be wary. Then again, no matter who you go to, you need to be cautious and know who exactly you are dealing with.
Old 12-02-08, 04:31 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mex lex
Many IS300 guys claim they have had bad experiences with IPT. I can't say from personal experience, but just giving a heads up and to be wary. Then again, no matter who you go to, you need to be cautious and know who exactly you are dealing with.

I agree.

I could also say I heard the same about boost logic's stuff. But in the end, when you do this kinda stuff, you need to understand the limitations of the tranny, no matter what kind of build up you do for it. The thing I like about IPT, is that they warranty their tranny for 1 year. Definitely not done by other companies. Usually, "race" type products have a no warranty deal.
Old 12-02-08, 04:44 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
I agree.

I could also say I heard the same about boost logic's stuff. But in the end, when you do this kinda stuff, you need to understand the limitations of the tranny, no matter what kind of build up you do for it. The thing I like about IPT, is that they warranty their tranny for 1 year. Definitely not done by other companies. Usually, "race" type products have a no warranty deal.
No doubt about it.
How much power does IPT rate their transmissions for? That is great that they offer a year warranty. It is better than nothing. The smart thing to do I'm guessing, is to overcompensate as much as you can to be as safe as possible. Yet, even then, one should always be prepared for something to go wrong.

By the way, will your TT GS4 be seeing any track time and/or be a daily driver?
Old 12-02-08, 06:18 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the reason I was sold on their tranny. I was told that they don't estimate the hp number. Because anyone can estimate what it can hold. what they could say is that the tranny can hold 800 hp for sure. They did tell me that the same tranny that I had bought has been placed in cars with 800hp to the wheels. These were drag vehicles and after a season, they told me that none of the trannies had any failures. I thought to myself that I would in no way come to abuse the tranny as bad as a drag vehicle, and it should be good for me.
Old 12-02-08, 06:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
If it's the SRT race build setup, then it should hold around 500-600rwhp. The main thing that goes out on these tranny is the sprag. I had mine built by PFS initially and it crapped out at around 400-450rwhp. Worst money I've ever spent in my life. I had a transmission builder(he specializes in drag racing transmissions) about 1.5hrs away from me build my trans up for me. So far this thing is works incredibly compared to the PFS one. I was running around 30psi on my PT67 turbo and the transmission had no problem holding it. I'm about to get my car running with the HKS T51R turbo at 30psi+ and really put this thing to the test.
If you are in DFW, Jeff, I HIGHLY recommends Jason Phan over at JP Importz in garland.

I used to live there, I helped around his shop from time to time too, Great guy!
Old 12-02-08, 07:16 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Jason doesn't build race trannys. I know him as well, I see him every once in a while at car events.
Old 12-03-08, 08:23 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Find someone local. Shipping and waiting for someone to work on your tranny

takes some time. However, you have all the right mods in your tranny already, you are only missing the raybestos clutch packs. I have the same mods that you have in your tranny and I been able to push 600+ rwhp on the dyno. I drive everyday on my low boost setting which is about 450 and my high boost is set at 550. I think you can turn up the boost right now and you would be fine.

Later, Jose
Old 12-03-08, 09:51 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SUPRA OWNER
takes some time. However, you have all the right mods in your tranny already, you are only missing the raybestos clutch packs. I have the same mods that you have in your tranny and I been able to push 600+ rwhp on the dyno. I drive everyday on my low boost setting which is about 450 and my high boost is set at 550. I think you can turn up the boost right now and you would be fine.

Later, Jose
i just dont want to blow the tranny and not have something to put back in...i talked to sam at PFS and i think i'm gonna send my old stock tranny over there and have them build it up for me...then i'll bump the boost to 500+..if it blows then i'll know i'll have another on the way...i wonder if i can just order the raybesto blue clutch packs and have someone open my tranny and install them?
Old 12-03-08, 11:32 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Yes you can order it and make someone local put it in.

I am sure Level Ten sells it seperately or IPT or any other Tranny shop. Do a little research and try to find someone local.

Later, Jose

Originally Posted by black_gs99
i just dont want to blow the tranny and not have something to put back in...i talked to sam at PFS and i think i'm gonna send my old stock tranny over there and have them build it up for me...then i'll bump the boost to 500+..if it blows then i'll know i'll have another on the way...i wonder if i can just order the raybesto blue clutch packs and have someone open my tranny and install them?
Old 12-03-08, 11:40 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

I am sure Level Ten sells it seperately or IPT or any other Tranny shop. Do a little research and try to find someone local.

Later, Jose
how long have you had your your tranny for? how boosted miles have you been running on it? i'm just trying to gauge how long it will last the way you have it setup.
Old 12-03-08, 01:36 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Boosted for over a year, roughly 8000 boosted miles.

Over 90 dyno pulls. I am at 89000 on the tach.

Later, Jose
Old 12-04-08, 06:14 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Over 90 dyno pulls. I am at 89000 on the tach.

Later, Jose
thanks buddy i guess i'll give it a try!

Quick Reply: BUILT tranny