Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: What kind of LSD do you have?
TRD LSD
21.62%
Supra (RMM) LSD
38.74%
Stock LSD
39.64%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

LSD: TRD, Supra, Stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 07:32 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svt5150
Bringing back a 4 year old thread
It wasn't me who brought this old thread back. It was already there and I just responded to it. I did not search out anthing about this. Pretty weird if you ask me. Someone else must have pulled this from the archives and then pulled there name from it. after posting.
Old 08-30-06, 08:31 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it is worth every penny. Recommand as the only first mod.
Old 09-23-06, 04:00 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

since this thread is here... i'll just post my thoughts.

i have a 3.76 torsen lsd and i think it's great... but largest down side is the poor gas mileage.. rpm sits at 3000 going ~80mph. and on a V8, thats a lot of gas wasted.

i would think with the TRD LSD, you are still on the stock gears so might save money in the long run.. even though you spend more up front. BUT a extra 30-50 miles a tank will add up over the years. (just an idea)
Old 09-23-06, 07:45 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Mpg

Originally Posted by ShaneC
since this thread is here... i'll just post my thoughts.

i have a 3.76 torsen lsd and i think it's great... but largest down side is the poor gas mileage.. rpm sits at 3000 going ~80mph. and on a V8, thats a lot of gas wasted.

i would think with the TRD LSD, you are still on the stock gears so might save money in the long run.. even though you spend more up front. BUT a extra 30-50 miles a tank will add up over the years. (just an idea)

My best estimate is about 2 mpg lost. I went with the Torsen because it was so easy to install. The TRD sounded like a real bear to put in.

You know the only reason this is even a concern is gas at 3 bucks a gallon will cost you 6 bucks for 2 gallon. Back when it was 1 dollar you would not even care.

The GS never got great gas milage in the first place. I did not buy this car thinking about mpg.

The Torsen LSD is a great performance boost not only straight ahead but around a 90 degree corner it is really fun to punch it.

You add on a TC and guess what your mpg goes down again because you are putting your foot into it just for fun.

I look at it us part of my recreation budget. It is like going on a fun ride at Disney Land. So for a paltry 10 or 15 minutes at my job per tank of gas I have a whole lot of fun.

In fact I think it is so much fun that last year I had an RMM Supercharger put on. Now thats like an E ticket at Disney Land. Of course my mpg went down again. But I can live with it.

Don't despair to much gas prices are dropping.

Ivan
3dog
Old 09-23-06, 10:58 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

i agree it's fun. i have 3.76 and 2800 stall tC.. but sometimes it would be nice to see 21mpg (city/freeway) but now i only see 15mpg. but i agree it's a rush driving the car now... WAY better then stock! half the problem is my heavy foot...
Old 10-08-06, 05:50 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
It wasn't me who brought this old thread back. It was already there and I just responded to it. I did not search out anthing about this. Pretty weird if you ask me. Someone else must have pulled this from the archives and then pulled there name from it. after posting.
Not really a mystery.

When someone votes, the thread bumps back up, even if no one posted a response.

Now who did a search and voted on this old thread? Well we might never know.
Old 10-08-06, 10:37 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShaneC
half the problem is my heavy foot...
THAT's the reason for the worse gas mileage, not the 3000 rpm at 80mph.

Just because an engine is turning more RPM, don't be suckered into thinking that it automatically means "worse gas mileage". It's just not always true.
The camshaft profile and volumetric efficiency and Brake Specific Fuel Consumption will more determine what happens with the gas mileage if you keep the same driving style but only change gearing.
Old 10-27-06, 09:50 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Has anyone installed a Supra rear end in their GS300? I've seen guys on the IS board do it but it takes extensive fabrication. I was hoping the GS300 was similar to the SC300 where is basically bolts right up.
Old 01-11-07, 01:50 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgamz
Has anyone installed a Supra rear end in their GS300? I've seen guys on the IS board do it but it takes extensive fabrication. I was hoping the GS300 was similar to the SC300 where is basically bolts right up.
from what i know...most of the GS4 folks go with supra tt which is 3.76...i believe GS4 stock is around 3.23...correct me if i am wrong....

for GS3 folks it is a little different...stock is 3.91 so most opt for the TRD diff...well from what i have seen.
Old 02-06-07, 11:08 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

I noticed the Supra and GS300 take the same TRD part number for the differential, my question is if someone were to upgrade a Supra torsen set up to a TRD would we be able to insert that torsen unit directly into our rear? I would think so.
Old 02-08-07, 07:52 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I noticed the Supra and GS300 take the same TRD part number for the differential, my question is if someone were to upgrade a Supra torsen set up to a TRD would we be able to insert that torsen unit directly into our rear? I would think so.
Pretty sure it has been done just cannot remember by whom.

Stock gearing is 3.266 and the Supra Auto is 3.769.

Something of note: open differentials DO IN FACT power both tires UNTIL one tire looses traction and then 100% of the torque goes to the one without traction. This is why one tire will spin. Sofisticated traction control can actually create an electronic limited slip by stopping one tire from spinning hence keeping power to both tires. Unfortunately the Lexus traction control is very abrubt and nearly shuts the motor down. Taking a right turn from a stop in wet conditions or loose sand on the road makes loosing traction on the inside tire VERY easy and then the car has NO power at all for several seconds. This to me can be dangerous if turning on to a street such as a highway service road where traffic is often doing 60mph and the need for quick acceleration is a safety issue.
Old 02-09-07, 12:18 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

ok anyone else know if the torsen Supra unit will fit right into our rear end? Thanks for the reply brady.
Old 02-10-07, 08:06 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Has anyone considered putting in a 3.133 LSD from a TT Supra manual?

Last edited by IAGS400; 02-10-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 11:20 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok anyone else know if the torsen Supra unit will fit right into our rear end? Thanks for the reply brady.
Yes, It will
Old 02-12-07, 08:08 PM
lexispoold
Pole Position

Are all sc300/sc400 gs300/gs400 carriers/pumpkins the same?

Or is it gs300/sc300 and gs400/sc400 have same pumpkins?

Quick Reply: LSD: TRD, Supra, Stock