Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a K&N Intake for a GS300 01-05?
Yes
80.77%
No
19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Any Interest in a K&N Intake for 01-05 GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 09:45 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Submitted my request as well
Old 12-12-08, 11:03 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

just did mine, considering getting one, i am currently using kn&n drop in filter. i like it so far
Old 12-13-08, 12:37 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how many people they need for it to be worthwhile, but I hope we are generating interest at K&N.
Old 12-13-08, 07:24 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just submitted one as well.
Old 12-13-08, 07:34 AM
phillygs3

submitted
Old 12-13-08, 09:03 AM
arpham
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 12-13-08, 10:20 AM
blackANESE
Pole Position

Submitted reply
Old 12-13-08, 11:10 AM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Guess i'ma be the black sheep and say no. Reason is because of the invariable guestimation of how much hp you'll recieve for $200+...I'm not new to the intake mod mentallity and they do sound great / look blingy, but my guess is you stand to gain up to 10 hp, meaning it could be +1hp. If the idea is to create more efficient breathing then of course you want to do exhaust/cat/headers/intake package, otherwise just an intake is for looks alone. The comment on the IS making +10hp i'm not discrediting, but provides really no source of proof for the GS, ntm possible other varibles to consider on that IS (fully stock?standard?temperature conditions?etc..) I just hate seeing someone that doesn't know make semi-expensive decisions on power producing products...IMO of course..go for the standard drop in and save a buck or two!!
Old 12-13-08, 12:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There is no source of proof for the GS because K&N hasn't made one yet, thus they are R&D'ing the GS3 at the moment. Obviously they will give us the results before they start to mass produce. "up to 10hp" means just that. On the GS4, the max gain is 10whp, but K&N, nor any other manufacturer claim its 10whp throughout the whole rev-band. That would be ridiculous .

I have no doubt the GS3 will gain the same, if not very similar. If the intake design are the same, there should be no reason for the same 2JZ-GE to be making the same power. Only difference is exhaust, but they're also similar on both cars.

No mod (NA) will provide excessive power for just $200-$300. For some, it's a chump change for 10whp. I think most people should realize that any intake may provide more power, but it's not going to make your car a Corvette.
Old 12-13-08, 12:09 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
There is no source of proof for the GS because K&N hasn't made one yet, thus they are R&D'ing the GS3 at the moment. Obviously they will give us the results before they start to mass produce. "up to 10hp" means just that. On the GS4, the max gain is 10whp, but K&N, nor any other manufacturer claim its 10whp throughout the whole rev-band. That would be ridiculous .

I have no doubt the GS3 will gain the same, if not very similar. If the intake design are the same, there should be no reason for the same 2JZ-GE to be making the same power. Only difference is exhaust, but they're also similar on both cars.

No mod (NA) will provide excessive power for just $200-$300. For some, it's a chump change for 10whp. I think most people should realize that any intake may provide more power, but it's not going to make your car a Corvette.

Very well said.
Old 12-13-08, 12:22 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

I see and agree where your coming from! True 2-3 bones is/can be chump change (i've got auto jewery surpassing that). And surely the market can afford to have a long time competitor in breathing(K&N) get their share, considering the GS platform is rising in popularity. However the same tuning principals apply...asthetics vs. function. Sure alot of peeps are for it, i like intakes! The devils advocate card just needs to come out sometimes..but i hate the thought of one day going to an autozone and seeing F&F gear all focused on the GS
Old 12-13-08, 12:36 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by augdogg
I see and agree where your coming from! True 2-3 bones is/can be chump change (i've got auto jewery surpassing that). And surely the market can afford to have a long time competitor in breathing(K&N) get their share, considering the GS platform is rising in popularity. However the same tuning principals apply...asthetics vs. function. Sure alot of peeps are for it, i like intakes! The devils advocate card just needs to come out sometimes..but i hate the thought of one day going to an autozone and seeing F&F gear all focused on the GS
I am still not quite sure why you are so against it. To categorize parts as being "F&F" on a GS seems quite ignorant. I would love to be able to go to my local autozone and buy a GS300 intake. What is wrong with that?

My point being made is that the motor in the IS300 is the same in the GS300. Therefore they should get about the same increase in horsepower with the K&N R&D'd intake. Picking up where GSteg left off, you will not see a total increase of 10hp throughout the entire band. This means that you will see a 10hp increase at the peak rev band. You may see pick ups of 1-2 in the lower portions. I would assume that K&N used a completely stock IS300 in their tests and that you would make more than a drop in filter. There is no way this intake would only make a 1-2 hp increase. If that was true, K&N wouldn't bother selling such a product.

Another reason why many people would like K&N to make one is that most of their products are CARB certified. This may not mean anything for people living outside of CA, but it is usually a major factor for people buying products inside the people's republic of kalifornia.

I still don't know what you mean by tuning principals. Look and performance are two different things. You can't compare apples and oranges.

Last edited by pingu; 12-13-08 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-13-08, 12:39 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

We have 18 people who have submitted a request! Keep them coming!
Old 12-13-08, 01:11 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pingu
I am still not quite sure why you are so against it. To categorize parts as being "F&F" on a GS seems quite ignorant. I would love to be able to go to my local autozone and buy a GS300 intake. What is wrong with that? I would assume that K&N used a completely stock IS300 in their tests and that you would make more than a drop in filter. There is no way this intake would only make a 1-2 hp increase. If that was true, K&N wouldn't bother selling such a product.
I still don't know what you mean by tuning principals. Look and performance are two different things. You can't compare apples and oranges.
Just to address accordingly, note this is not a debate about who's right and wrong. There are no winners and losers in how ppl think.

I never said/stated i was against intakes and i'm far from seemingly ignorant, cuz i'm not spouting out untruths of any particular product or beliefs.

Also never assume "***-u-ME" that you know for sure of what kind of power it will make as stated "hasn't been made or tested yet."

Looks and proformance are two different things, i agree, however IMO that is determined wheather the item in question is being used at all. An intake by itself yeilds little to nothing. Looks pretty, sounds pretty, but thats about it..

I'm not trying to evade ppl from joining your endevor, just acknowledging hindsight. Agree w/ me or not, doesn't matter..

Last edited by augdogg; 12-13-08 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-13-08, 02:24 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

If an intake yielded little to nothing, then all dyno's must be lying. Why would anyone want to put an air intake onto their vehicles if there wasn't some sort of gain.

As for addressing your ignorance regarding "F&F" (he is referring to the fast and the furious movies) products, I am sure there are many people on this forum who do not consider air intakes to be "F&F" parts. If that was the case than all aftermarket car parts must be "F&F" in your book.

My assumption is that the IS300 K&N used was stock. The vehicle must have been stock because they did baseline dyno's comparing with the intake and without the intake (look at their website). I can make assumptions because they are very logical. As I stated earlier, both cars use the same engine, same maf, same drive train. You can expect similar results. I am not comparing a LS1 motor to a EJ20. They only way K&N will make an intake is if there are significant gains. No one would buy a product that only gained 1-2HP.

Your logic seems very flawed and I am still not quite sure why you feel the need to argue your flawed points. Your "***-u-me" comment seems inappropriate and irrelevant; if you read the post that GSteg wrote he has clearly stated what I have been saying. Please feel free to pm your off topic comments.

Last edited by pingu; 12-13-08 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Interest in a K&N Intake for 01-05 GS300?