Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does anyone or has anyone ran the SRT intake and an Apexi Neo or something similar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 04:54 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
Doesnt the srt ecu essentially do the same job as an apex neo would do? If you were to use the srt pipe and get the car properly tuned using the neo would you not see bigger gains and no codes? I just dont see the srt ecu doing a good job in changing the a/f mixture once you start adding headers and exhaust.
Exactly! There is NO ADJUSTABILITY with the SRT intake & ECU. That's why I and a bunch of other members went the Neo route. If someone just wants a little more power and not do anything else I would recommend the SRT but if you know or "have a feeling" you might mod a lot more down the road...get the Neo and re-tune it evertime an engine mod goes on.
Old 12-17-08, 05:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
There is NO ADJUSTABILITY with the SRT intake & ECU.
Sorry, that is incorrect. The SRT ECU is not adjustable by the individual owner, but you can send it along with a dyno / air-fuel into SRT and have them re-map it for you.

Or best case (what I did) was to take your car into their shop and have them dyno it onsite and do a custom map for you. Did that both for the intake and when I used a similar SRT ECU on my supercharger setup. Know that isn't as flexibile as doing it yourself with an SAFCII or Neo but it most definitely is adjustable.
Old 12-18-08, 09:25 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Dave as far as I am concerned that is not adjustable that is re-programming the chip; much different in my humble opinion.

Then EVERY chip on the market will be "adjustable" in your example. You could send a chip (regardless of manufacturer) along with the dyno charts and A/F #'s and yes they could THEN re-flash/re-program the chip and send it back to you. As far as I'm concerned this is NOT the same "adjustability" as a typical A/F controller or a standalone EMS. Perhaps we can agree to disagree.

...plus who wants to spend $$$ everytime shipping something like that back and fourth with the installation of every mod? I'd rather pay once and learn to tune myself and save $$$.
Old 12-18-08, 09:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Well, we'll just have to disagree . Whether you do it yourself via the AF/ controller or the tuner does it based on a dyno sheet or 'live' during before / after dynos the end result is exactly the same. The A/F mix for the entire RPM range is adjusted (not "NOT adjustable" )

I personally think the live before / after iterative dyno by an expert is going to be the most accurate and safest method. You can call it re-programming if you want, but you're doing the same thing with the A/F controller yourself but less precisely. Realistically not many avail themselves of that method nor will they pay for the dyno time to do it. (especially for an intake vs FI applications).
Old 12-26-08, 11:25 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now if we could just copy and upload maps for each car and a particular mod.
Then make a whole base line package to head to the dyno and cut off a few hours in mapping .
Old 01-02-09, 09:54 AM
Bliggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be attempting to tune my srt pipe with neo afc tomm morning at 9:00am. I will let you guys know the outcome tomm ( fingers crossed )
Old 01-04-09, 10:43 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

From what I gathered it seems that for us 430 guys if we plan on using the srt intake to stick with the srt ecu, but if we want to use an apexi neo for a tuning device than we should stick to an intake pipe such as an injen.

How is it that the srt ecu is able to get more power out of cars and yet not throw a code, but if I decided to go srt/neo route I would run into problems and throw cels??
Old 01-05-09, 04:16 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I gathered it seems that for us 430 guys if we plan on using the srt intake to stick with the srt ecu, but if we want to use an apexi neo for a tuning device than we should stick to an intake pipe such as an injen.

How is it that the srt ecu is able to get more power out of cars and yet not throw a code, but if I decided to go srt/neo route I would run into problems and throw cels??
The problem is not that you have a 430 or because your using a NEO.
Both Neo and SRT chip are fuel controllers, the only difference with running a NEO with SRT pipe over the SRT chip is that the chip is set for the intake flow already. You have to play with the Neo to find the correct setting for the SRT intake.
Old 01-05-09, 04:58 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

So with a good tuner and some hours on the dyno you should be able to setup the neo to work with the srt pipe, correct?

Either way for now im going to run both the srt pipe and ecu. It saves me $300 on the neo and more $$ on dyno tuning. Ill spend that money elsewhere
Old 01-05-09, 05:45 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So with a good tuner and some hours on the dyno you should be able to setup the neo to work with the srt pipe, correct?

Either way for now im going to run both the srt pipe and ecu. It saves me $300 on the neo and more $$ on dyno tuning. Ill spend that money elsewhere
In theory, yes, but this is yet to be accomplished. If you alredy have the SRT intake, might as well use it.
Old 02-01-09, 02:54 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Questions.

I just installed SRT intake+ ECU... seems like I lost a lot of power. My car doesn't pull anymore but just makes a lot of noise. Will tuning with an safc improve my result or atleast get the power back to stock?

If safc is the way, should I just keep the SRT ecu on? or take it off?

SRT+ECU is the most disappointing mod I've ever done.
Old 02-01-09, 03:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by sam430
Questions.

I just installed SRT intake+ ECU... seems like I lost a lot of power. My car doesn't pull anymore but just makes a lot of noise. Will tuning with an safc improve my result or atleast get the power back to stock?

If safc is the way, should I just keep the SRT ecu on? or take it off?

SRT+ECU is the most disappointing mod I've ever done.
With something that noticable I'd first suspect some issue with the install or even possibly a faulty ECU.
Old 02-01-09, 03:43 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
With something that noticable I'd first suspect some issue with the install or even possibly a faulty ECU.

I will contact SRT and see what they think. My SS headers will be here in a couple of weeks so I might just get a different ECU and tune it. I've never tuned before so it's gonna be a learning curve. Thanks.
Old 02-02-09, 04:25 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Please provide a map for the NEO+ SRT...I'm planning to go this route.
Old 02-17-09, 09:09 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Anyone get good numbers or felt like they did well with the SRT+NEO?

I'm still requesting the baseline map for the SRT+NEO+SS headers for the 01+ 2nd gen GS.