Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does anyone or has anyone ran the SRT intake and an Apexi Neo or something similar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 07:51 PM
Bliggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone or has anyone ran the SRT intake and an Apexi Neo or something similar?

I have noticed a lot of people have suggested to run the SRT intake pipe but get rid of the SRT piggy back ecu and go with a AFC such as a NEO. I want to go this route but want to make sure it will work well.
Old 12-12-08, 05:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure it will work fine. In the end the SRT without their ECU is just an intake. Adding an Apexi A/F controller will work great. I added the Apexi Neo onto my K&N intake and tuned it; the result before and after dynos were roughly ~17whp and 19wtq gain with JUST the addition of the Neo! GL and go for it!
Old 12-12-08, 05:59 AM
DarrellGS4
Driver

I had the same question about a month ago...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ake-combo.html
Old 12-12-08, 06:12 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I just read the link that DarrellGS4 posted up. I believe that the K&N is a 3.5" pipe..?? I only think this because I have gotten different filters over the years and it calls for a 3.5" filter for the inlet (opening). Maybe it flares wider towards the end or something??? Who knows.
Old 12-12-08, 06:27 AM
Bliggity
Pole Position

Which Apexi is best the SAFC or get the AFC?
Old 12-12-08, 07:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I would either say the S (super) AFC or the latest version from Apexi...the Neo. They all do pretty much the same thing...the latest ones just have more features and more, smaller tuning invervals for more precise tuning.
Old 12-12-08, 09:47 AM
DarrellGS4
Driver

As far as safc/AF controller. If you can get a Neo for a good price, go for it, if notI'm sure you can find a SAFC II for cheap since they have been out awhile.

Rock-a-Lex, how is that amisol filter working out? I thought about making the switch.
Old 12-12-08, 01:37 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DarrellGS4
As far as safc/AF controller. If you can get a Neo for a good price, go for it, if notI'm sure you can find a SAFC II for cheap since they have been out awhile.

Rock-a-Lex, how is that amisol filter working out? I thought about making the switch.
It's AWESOME! and no more oiling! The model filter I bought also filters better, flows better and has larger surface area (just fits under the GS4 hood). If your interested I'll try to find the item # for you.
Old 12-12-08, 10:48 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

ill be doing this most likely in the spring or summer..for now I will run the srt setup.
Old 12-15-08, 08:32 AM
DarrellGS4
Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
It's AWESOME! and no more oiling! The model filter I bought also filters better, flows better and has larger surface area (just fits under the GS4 hood). If your interested I'll try to find the item # for you.
mos def...that would be tight. I am tired of cleaning and oiling the filter and worring that I dont put too much oil or not enough that it not effective.
Old 12-15-08, 11:49 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrellGS4
mos def...that would be tight. I am tired of cleaning and oiling the filter and worring that I dont put too much oil or not enough that it not effective.
yeah im getting to that point too. i just did mine sat
Old 12-15-08, 10:18 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliggity
I have noticed a lot of people have suggested to run the SRT intake pipe but get rid of the SRT piggy back ecu and go with a AFC such as a NEO. I want to go this route but want to make sure it will work well.
Keep this in mind!

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
SRT 3.5"
K&N 3"

This is also my plan, I already have the SRT pipe and NEO. However; I do foresee a problem with the set up. SRT pipe throws the MAF readings off due to its larger diameter. It does not read the air flow accurately and it argues with the O2 sensor, therefore messing up everything associated with the A/F Ratio. The only thing I can come up with and hope it will work, would be to retune the entire fuel trim, from idel, cruise all the way to WOT. Which is something I have yet to see someone do on a NA GS4.
Old 12-16-08, 06:01 AM
Bliggity
Pole Position

I will be trying to accomplish this setup on 12/26 or 12/27, sounds like I may be screwed huh? I wonder why people would recommend this route, never mind.
Old 12-16-08, 06:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I personally wouldn't do it.

Either run the SRT with the matching SRT Race ECU
-or -
the K&N intake (or other intake) with the SAFC II or Neo.

Mixing and matching isn't going to buy you anything I can see other than a more difficult tune because of the bigger SRT pipe diameter.
Old 12-17-08, 04:23 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Doesnt the srt ecu essentially do the same job as an apex neo would do? If you were to use the srt pipe and get the car properly tuned using the neo would you not see bigger gains and no codes? I just dont see the srt ecu doing a good job in changing the a/f mixture once you start adding headers and exhaust.

Quick Reply: Does anyone or has anyone ran the SRT intake and an Apexi Neo or something similar?