Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NeeD MoRE PoWER !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 11:16 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NeeD MoRE PoWER !!!!!

ok so the itch to boost is getting the best of me and i need some options :
Goal is around 300-325 rwhp in a semi daily driver: heres the catch i live in cali !!!! what are my options ? i know a few guys that do swaps on other cars and they say you can do it legally only if the motor is newer than the car and i have 01 gs300 do they still make jdm 2jzgte ? another thing would be NA-t route right after a smog that way i have 2 years before i need another smog (stay under cops radar if possible lol )...any thoughts ?

Oh and please dont move this to norcal section !please !
Old 12-12-08, 11:32 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the search function, it's your friend

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-a-thread.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...973-turbo.html
Old 12-12-08, 11:41 AM
Revenge Motorsports
Driver

Default engine swap

The engine has to be same year or newer and has to have been produced in USA, so if USA did not sell a turbo supra that year then it will not be able to get a referee #. That assumes you are in California. We deal with the state ref. all the time they are real picky.
Old 12-12-08, 06:25 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

yea thats whay i thought i didnt know it had to be usdm im def screwed on that route (revenge thanks for the clarification ) and ive read those posts those are about actual boosting procedures, i need a way around cali smog laws too damn strict i need to move to tx or arizona lol...is my only option is boosting and un boosting every two years ? pita !

Last edited by LeXaNoMicS; 12-12-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 06:34 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

i guess tuning down every two years to pass smog (incorporate cats or maybe even removable ones) and hope i can bribe a visual out of a crooked shop, i live close to oakland there gotta be one around here somewhere lol any other suggestions ?
Old 12-12-08, 06:49 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your best bet would be nitrous. You can gain quite a bit of power (probably get you to about 260whp with alot of torque) using a 75 shot. It will cost much less than any forced induction (turbo.supercharger) and can be hidden/disconnected in minutes when it comes time to pass visual, as far as smog it won't even make a difference as long as you don't spray it during the test I know it's probably not what you want to hear but thats the only way to get around the smog thing "legally" and still pick up a good amount of power.

IF you decided to go turbo, you could do it on your N/A motor and make 300whp. But trust me, in two years, you are not going to feel like ripping it all out to go pass smog. It's just too much of a hassle to put the car back to stock for a smog inspection, let alone if you get caught before your two years is up. You can try tuning to pass smog but there is no guarantee that even then it would be able to pass (been there, done that) as the car is going to be having all sorts of funny readings when they scan the OBD port. Either way, just my .02 on the matter.
Old 12-12-08, 06:52 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's OBD2, your only option for a swap is an OBD2 motor set.

Got NA-T. It's tried and true and you'll keep factory ECU and emissions.
Old 12-12-08, 06:58 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Nooooooo! lol thats not what i wanna hear !damn california laws ...thanks for your response macd but im desperate lol and ive never had to pop my hood for a cop in any of my cars i guess i would just be taking a big chance .and cant i leave the turbo in and just bribe the visual ? from what ive heard the only thing you cant fakke is the sniffer?is this possible ? what are other cali ppl doing there gotta be some boosted lexos in cali somewhere .
Old 12-12-08, 07:01 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

shern nice SC! so it is possible to pass the sniffer going NA-T ? is that what you mean by keeping factory ecu and emissions ?
Old 12-12-08, 07:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shern
If it's OBD2, your only option for a swap is an OBD2 motor set.

Got NA-T. It's tried and true and you'll keep factory ECU and emissions.
There aren't any OBD2 swaps worth doing that are 01+. You can try to run an NA-T but I wouldn't count on the fact that it will be able to pass the sniffer. Even though you are running a factory ecu you will be running larger injectors, larger fuel pump etc.....I'm not saying it can't pass, just not to count on the fact it will pass.
Old 12-12-08, 07:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best choice on making 300-325whp and being CARB legal is dumping the 300 for a 400/430. GL
Old 12-12-08, 07:27 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

i dont wanna be carb legal i want to get around it LOL
Old 12-12-08, 07:36 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

macd i plan on just around 300rwhp and i was under the impression stock injectors could handle 350-400? I wanna keep it semi discrete lol my plan would be to run super low psi/tune during the sniffer and have cats incorporated in to help 2 or 3 even, maybe make a y pipe with cats on it ? lol (ima super desperate noob )honestly i would prob only have to pass once for 4 years if timed correctly and avoid the police HAHA .
Old 12-12-08, 10:08 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a pre 1975 car like I did.
Old 12-12-08, 10:43 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeXaNoMicS
macd i plan on just around 300rwhp and i was under the impression stock injectors could handle 350-400? I wanna keep it semi discrete lol my plan would be to run super low psi/tune during the sniffer and have cats incorporated in to help 2 or 3 even, maybe make a y pipe with cats on it ? lol (ima super desperate noob )honestly i would prob only have to pass once for 4 years if timed correctly and avoid the police HAHA .
Stock injectors won't support that much power safely. Off the top of my head they are roughly 280cc which won't break 300hp safely. You need at least 310cc to make 300whp which is still cutting it close, preferably you should go with 440cc which will be able to make 350 safely and leave a little bit of headroom if it's needed. Don't forget you will need to upgrade your pump as well, either a OEM Denso Supra TT pump or a Walbro 255 pump will work fine at those power levels.

Quick Reply: NeeD MoRE PoWER !!!!!