Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Srt intake..filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 05:00 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Srt intake..filter replacement

So I got a good deal on a srt intake for my gs, but it came with no filter. What do you guys use as replacements for yours? k&n? aem? injen?
Old 12-15-08, 05:03 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's really up to you, not a differents between them.
Old 12-16-08, 01:42 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I dont know about the rest, but I say just get the K&N since you can wash and respray it.
Old 12-16-08, 10:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I dont know about the rest, but I say just get the K&N since you can wash and respray it.
yeah i have one BUT its starting to ger old washing/cleaning and reoiling it. especially since u can damage the MAF n stuff if u over oil it! i might change back from the k&n soon to a blitz or a hks drop in! but im not running a srt intake and i know they use a cone filter which is different then our oem or oem replacements
Old 12-16-08, 11:14 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not HKS mushroom filter?
Old 12-16-08, 02:04 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HKS filtering characteristics are crap. K/N is annoying with the re oiling of the filter whenever you wash and its filtering capabilities are crap also. Thats why there is the oil. An AEM dryflow is a good option since all you need to do is wash it and let it dry. You dont need to oil or anything just clean it let it dry out in the sun or whatever then reinstall. The Apexi power filter or whatever its called is basically the same as the AEM but it costs more. Tests have proven power gains with filtering capabilities with the Apexi filter since it acts somewhat like a Velocity stack.
Old 12-17-08, 07:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
Why not HKS mushroom filter?
i had this on my turbo hatch....actually liked it....worked well too. only checked the aem, the hks, and the k&n on the dyno back then...hks worked the best!

Originally Posted by NAiL05
HKS filtering characteristics are crap. K/N is annoying with the re oiling of the filter whenever you wash and its filtering capabilities are crap also. Thats why there is the oil. An AEM dryflow is a good option since all you need to do is wash it and let it dry. You dont need to oil or anything just clean it let it dry out in the sun or whatever then reinstall. The Apexi power filter or whatever its called is basically the same as the AEM but it costs more. Tests have proven power gains with filtering capabilities with the Apexi filter since it acts somewhat like a Velocity stack.
actually hks is a great filter....thats y alot of top supra's have them....lot of flow and good filtering! k&n is starting to get annoying though u right, still might be worth the trouble though. aem dryflow....no comment as i HATED this filter on my civic. made worst gains,improvement on the dyno. apexi...never bought it to try it....yeah instead of something that ACTS like a velocity stack you could just buy some velocity stacks you know?
Old 12-17-08, 12:22 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Have run an HKS Filter on my 3000GT Twin Turbo for 8 years with no complaints. HKS products for the most part are some of the best aftermarket products out there.
Old 12-17-08, 12:51 PM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm searching the same information.

Do you have the HKS reference for a srt system ?

Thanks,
Denis.
Old 12-17-08, 02:18 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

There are reasons why some filters flow very well and why some filters do there job and do flow well. Foam type filters usually let more particulates in the engine bay from what it seems. There have been tests done with the HKS filter in the past. I dont like sucking up particles in my engine unless I just dont care and its for a drag car purposes where I know I will need to pull the motor again. HKS is brand name people swear by most of the time, yes they make good products but there filters IMO still suck. They might have changed it with there updated filters but the old ones suck *** from tests I have seen. Good flowing usually = ****ty filtering. Only a few companies have made a filter that will flow and filter and the same time. Here is an old test from a long long time ago. I also have a test in one of my old japanese Option or Option2 Mags from a few years ago with the same results done by the magazine itself. I will need to find that and scan it.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Not knocking on any brand names and there advertising but tests dont lie unless they are somehow bias'd.
Old 12-17-08, 04:19 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Ill never get the hks mushroom style filter. Just personal experience that they might flow good, but thats only cause they dont filter good. I had way too much dirt in my intake pipe when using the hks. Im going to go with an aem dry it seems like.
Old 12-18-08, 01:16 AM
NAiL05
Instructor

AEM dry is a good filter as I am running one on my car. Maintenance on it is easy. I would like to see a flow test done on it though to see how well it filters. I have had mine close to a year and still easy to maintain.
Old 12-26-08, 05:10 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Re-oiling the SRT type filter isn't much of a hassle, just spray and let it dry a bit. I've done mine several times.
Old 12-26-08, 06:32 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

me personally, i've used k&n drop ins and cones on all of my cars so far and I have yet to have a problem. Just dont overdo it with the oil and make sure it dries out really well and you wont have an issue. I haven't had any experience with the foam filters, do they have kind of a screen at the back before the intake pipe? it would seem to me that the heat and moisture would break the foam down over time and eventually the foam would come back into the intake.....but again i've never seen a foam filter up close. Anybody ever see/use the dual foam filter thing? It's like one inlet pipe that splits into 2 foam filters, supposed to look like a TT setup i'd think but i didn't know if anyone had experience with it.
Old 12-26-08, 06:38 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can order a direct replacement from SRT for $50 shipped.

Quick Reply: Srt intake..filter replacement