Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HKS vs. Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 05:34 PM
kjl2007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS vs. Tanabe

I'm looking into getting an exhaust after getting some X-mas money.. I'm looking into Tanabe and the HKS exhaust, those seem to be the best bang for the buck. Which one do you guys recommend in terms of sound and HP increase?
Old 12-23-08, 10:42 PM
phil9892
Driver

Depends on your preference. Search the forums as it has been discussed many times. Most will probably say Tanabe as its not too loud and looks nice as well. HKS, depends if you're talking about the lexus or hipower version. If lexus, then thats on the lines of the tanabe, but pricey. Hipower has big canisters which some dislike and is the loudest of all axle backs.
Old 12-24-08, 01:09 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

well..
Tanabe and HKS are totally different exhausts
since you said that both of them are the best bang for the buck
I'm assuming that you are talking about the Hi-Power HKS which is super louder than the TANABE plus those tips are HUGE~~~~
I personally loved the Tanabe when I had it, and almost everyone who bought the
Tanabe loves it..but if you want something loud..then you should definitely look for different exhaust

Little Louder than Stock plus nice looking tips = Tanabe FTW
Old 12-24-08, 01:32 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

yeah i'm looking into tanabe medalion touring, next on the list , alittle louder than stock but its sound best, any good deal out there?? lolz, installed like a month now very happy with its, its a perfectly match with F sport intake lolz, plus i gain couple Mpg too
Attached Thumbnails HKS vs. Tanabe-dscn0087.jpg  

Last edited by ISF4life; 02-04-09 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 12:29 PM
kjl2007
Pole Position

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-24-08, 12:42 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

look around the 2is classified or the vendor sections. i bought my hks hi-power from another cl member/2is owner for a very low price.

the tanabe mt is near stock at idle but has a nice tone mid-rpm. no cabin drone. finished tips has a relatively stock look.

the hks hi-power is very likely the loudest axle-back application on the market. i haven't heard any other axle-back that is louder. cabin drone galore. the cylindrical canisters and the big exhaust tips is all business.
Old 12-24-08, 05:46 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want loud & proud, then you want the HKS HI-Power.

Old 12-28-08, 06:54 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

montgb I was just looking at the picture above and something dawned on me. I think it would look pretty sweet if you painted the visible part of the exhaust flat black. Just a thought that I would throw out there for ya. Might attract fewer popo looks and it would go well with the black theme.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-28-08 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-29-08, 12:59 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
montgb I was just looking at the picture above and something dawned on me. I think it would look pretty sweet if you painted the visible part of the exhaust flat black. Just a thought that I would throw out there for ya. Might attract fewer popo looks and it would go well with the black theme.
worrd

DO EET!!
Old 12-29-08, 08:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the tanabe on my GS and am very happy with the sound. I would try to go conservative with the sound since the exhausts do get a little louder as they break in
Old 01-05-09, 08:17 AM
UCLAJimmy
Pole Position

get HKS!! Its loud and nice. The only problem for HKS exhaust is that it makes too much rumble when you are driving on the freeway.
Old 02-03-09, 11:57 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

get HKS!! Its loud and nice. The only problem for HKS exhaust is that it makes too much rumble when you are driving on the freeway.
Hey just wondering how bad is this noise when you are on the highway cause i like some noise so i can be seen and heard. But i drive 40 miles worth of highway each day is it to loud to even stand for that period of time?
Old 02-03-09, 03:10 PM
g0tpersian
Rookie

I have the lexus HKS and I know it's not far from the hi-power sound.

It's really not bad. It's noticeable when you don't have music on, but it's not overwhelming. If you're really worried about drone, get the tanabe because the HKS will definitely give you drone.

I don't think the drone is bad, and personally I love it. I just bought my megan mid pipe today cause I want more noise =]
Old 02-03-09, 03:21 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rscott22
Hey just wondering how bad is this noise when you are on the highway cause i like some noise so i can be seen and heard. But i drive 40 miles worth of highway each day is it to loud to even stand for that period of time?
Cruising at 2k rpm @ 60 mph the HKS will make you feel nice and bothered

Even the Tanabe drones a bit, even though its not that bad, still makes me sigh in relief when I let my foot off the gas on the freeway some times.

The Tanabe is more quiet than the HKS Hi Power, but the Tanabe at 60 ish mile cruising gives off a sound comparable to your microwave when you are heating stuff up, so imagine something louder and more bass-y.
Old 02-03-09, 04:21 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An idea of flat black

Quick Reply: HKS vs. Tanabe