Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Getting close to turbo swap - few questions before I do

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 11:00 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading the last few posts I think there has been some confusion here in regards to which piece the OP is referring to. The down pipe is the pipe coming off the turbo and going to the underbody area, the midpipe is what connects the downpipe to the catback.

Ford, I think you are talking about a midpipe, not a downpipe. That would explain the confusion here. The downpipe from a supra is a close fit, that's all I was talking about since that's what the OP asked about in his question. If you are asking about a midpipe then there is a little more work involved. A mid pipe is a breeze to fab up and shouldn't cost you more than $150 at any decent exhaust shop.

Last edited by macd7919; 12-28-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-28-08, 11:25 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the OP said downpipe and meant midpipe..the gs300 midpipe is in the "downpipe" section of the megan site...so thats probably where the confusion came from.
Old 12-28-08, 11:56 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Don't forget that the NA-T route is a heartbreaker.
Old 12-28-08, 01:16 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Yes I kind of meant mid pipe. What I meant was, the downpipe doesn't fit onto the mid pipe well so I was asking if there g was a downpipe that fits better onto the mid pipe, or a midpipe that fits better on the downpipe. I'm just looking for the easiest way leaving less "custom" work since that costs more then buying specifically manufactured components. Hope that's a little clearer for you guys

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
Don't forget that the NA-T route is a heartbreaker.
Are you saying go with a GTE? If so, that has crossed my mind more then once. My current plan is to do the single swap, run it for awhile and get everything upgraded as needed and possibly goto a head gasket/head studs with fuel for 15-17 psi. Then eventually pick up a GTE bottom end or do the entire GTE swap but I'm concerned about the GTE swap since you never know exactly what your getting with the JDM stuff as I've read about people missing crank bearings, low cylinder pressure ect.

Last edited by ChrisT88; 12-28-08 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 01:55 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

In that case, I recommend buying an inexpensive downpipe for a TT. It's going to be a very close fit but you should be ok. From there just use the downpipe as-is and fab up a midpipe from 3" pipe. It shouldn't cost you more than $150 at a muffler shop, at least in my area, you mentioned you had some experience with working on cars and friends with a shop so it would be really easy for you to save some money by just ordering pipe from summit racing and putting the car up on a lift and just mock up the pieces yourself and take them to the muffler shop to be welded.

Now that we are all on the same page, long story short, you will need to fab a midpipe but can use a TT downpipe which will save some cash. You can try to pick up a TT midpipe and cut it up and rearrange it and possibly make it fit but I think your best bet is to order the piping from summit or burns and mock it up yourself.

Last edited by macd7919; 12-28-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 02:17 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Originally Posted by macd7919
In that case, I recommend buying an inexpensive downpipe for a TT. It's going to be a very close fit but you should be ok. From there just use the downpipe as-is and fab up a midpipe from 3" pipe. It shouldn't cost you more than $150 at a muffler shop, at least in my area, you mentioned you had some experience with working on cars and friends with a shop so it would be really easy for you to save some money by just ordering pipe from summit racing and putting the car up on a lift and just mock up the pieces yourself and take them to the muffler shop to be welded.

Now that we are all on the same page, long story short, you will need to fab a midpipe but can use a TT downpipe which will save some cash. You can try to pick up a TT midpipe and cut it up and rearrange it and possibly make it fit but I think your best bet is to order the piping from summit or burns and mock it up yourself.

This is probably the route I'll go, I was just hoping there was a better solution for these cars. I'm really surprised at how custom these kits are for this car specifically. I guess it makes sense because of you look at the GS3 for sale section on here vs my.is, most everyone here sells exterior related upgrades vs performance.

I appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. Now I just need to figure out what turbo the clubna-t kit is using or source another decent cheap turbo. Also, I'm confused as to which kit to get from xs-power.com.

This? http://www.xs-power.com/toyota-turbo-kits-2.htm or this http://www.xs-power.com/toyota-turbo-manifolds-12.htm

I'm assuming #2 is the one to use I just want to be sure since there may be a difference in quality between the two. I would rather spend $50 more if the quality is higher on the first kit.
Old 12-28-08, 08:39 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

This seems like a decent choice for the midpipe (called downpipe in ad)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...Q5fAccessories

Anymore input guys? I'm hoping to get this stuff ordered tomorrow so it will be on the way
Old 12-29-08, 06:04 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Thinking about getting this turbo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T4-T7...6763QQtcZphoto

Since I believe it's the one Mark at clubna-t is using now. See here,

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=22
Old 12-29-08, 07:55 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

well...i was chewed out when I was considering getting a $400-$500 turbo...so you might be next..lol but really if there is any way possible try to get a name brand...it will be worth your time/money in the long run...
Old 12-29-08, 09:53 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChrisT88
This is probably the route I'll go, I was just hoping there was a better solution for these cars. I'm really surprised at how custom these kits are for this car specifically. I guess it makes sense because of you look at the GS3 for sale section on here vs my.is, most everyone here sells exterior related upgrades vs performance.

I appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. Now I just need to figure out what turbo the clubna-t kit is using or source another decent cheap turbo. Also, I'm confused as to which kit to get from xs-power.com.

This? http://www.xs-power.com/toyota-turbo-kits-2.htm or this http://www.xs-power.com/toyota-turbo-manifolds-12.htm

I'm assuming #2 is the one to use I just want to be sure since there may be a difference in quality between the two. I would rather spend $50 more if the quality is higher on the first kit.
the club NA-T kit uses a t61. You definitely get what you pay for, and of all things you do not want to cheap out on, your turbo is certainly at the top of the list.
Old 12-29-08, 02:58 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
the club NA-T kit uses a t61. You definitely get what you pay for, and of all things you do not want to cheap out on, your turbo is certainly at the top of the list.
it's actually a t70 based on old garrett technology. mark underrates those turbos so nobody would complain about their performance. It's misleading because you'll have people boosting 20psi on 9.2:1 compression on pump gas thinking that it's safe, when in fact it would kill the engine in seconds.

use the XS power downpipe and ceramic coat it. No need for extensions or cut/re-welding.
Old 12-29-08, 07:48 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChrisT88

Are you saying go with a GTE? If so, that has crossed my mind more then once. My current plan is to do the single swap, run it for awhile and get everything upgraded as needed and possibly goto a head gasket/head studs with fuel for 15-17 psi. Then eventually pick up a GTE bottom end or do the entire GTE swap but I'm concerned about the GTE swap since you never know exactly what your getting with the JDM stuff as I've read about people missing crank bearings, low cylinder pressure ect.
Yep- I cant even count how many times we end up with failed NA-T stuff or the guys switching from NA-T to GTE.
Don"t get me wrong i have seen it work and its cheap if you do your own labor and get stuff real cheap,But paying someone or buying a "Kit " just to get what a BPU GTE can give you is the heartbreaker. It just makes me sad to see people spend their GTE money on a NA-t Stuff and fail.
Old 12-29-08, 07:52 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
you'll have people boosting 20psi on 9.2:1 compression on pump gas

that is scary...lets hope they at least got a decent tune.
Old 12-29-08, 08:11 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coco-bun

that is scary...lets hope they at least got a decent tune.
well on 61mm it's really not that scary, but once you get to a physical size of 70mm...it's a totally different story. max on pump gas for a t70 is probably 14-15 psi on 9.2:1 compression.
Old 12-30-08, 09:48 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish you were up here in dc.. we could be doing the project together on both our cars!

Quick Reply: Getting close to turbo swap - few questions before I do