Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Getting close to turbo swap - few questions before I do

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 06:02 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now Ready to order - few questions before I do

So I have studied every forum I can including the IS forums and google search engine to death and finally came to the conclusion that unless I have a shop do the work for me there aren't many/any bolt on turbo setups available for the GS. This is much different then my MKIV days but no problem since I do have experience with the 2JZ and friends who work at the local tuning shop.

My current plan for my 01 GS3 is to go with a XS manifold, downpipe and intake pipe package(remove slag, dremel polish) and,

Tial wastegate/dump tube
T61-70 something turbo (cheaper the better but something known to get atleast 5k miles of use until I can recover from the initial costs)
Ebay oil feed/return (there are some really nice setups with steel braided feed/returns)
HKS blow off
Ebay intercooler/piping (any suggestions?)
AEM FIC
AEM wideband

And I have a Greddy profec b v2 that was retired to me for christmas by a friend.

Now my biggest concerns are that I cannot find a mass air adapter to weld into the 4" intake (or intercooler piping, not sure what will be best--maybe try one at a time) and finally I'm concerned about the downpipe, will a good muffler/exhaust shop beable to handle this? Would throwing a Megan racing downpipe into the mix help with power and or welding the downpipe into place?

If there are no good sources for the mass air adapter, I can get some CNC version made up if there is enough interest.

I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me and feel free to tell me if I'm off on any of my decisions, I'm not locked into anything yet.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisT88; 12-29-08 at 07:13 AM. Reason: no love
Old 12-27-08, 06:16 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Also before I do anything I want to make sure the manifold is for the GE. The page says GE at time then GTE for the part# so I'm confused.

http://www.xs-power.com/toyota-turbo-kits-2.htm

Thanks
Old 12-27-08, 07:30 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

hey, ok i have almost the same exact setup as you, (well the one you want) I am half way through my build. The only differences are that I have the ebay turbo manifold, intake and downpipe kit (from what I can gather its the same quality as the xs power, and its cheaper.) I have the blitz BOV, and a turbonetics T62 turbo. everything else is the same (the turbo was $850 new) I bought a intercooler kit for the Is300 (im installing it tomorrow..ill let you know about the fitment) but if you are having a shop do it, its close enough that they could make it work.
also the downpipe will not fit up to the Gs exhaust (i.e. the megan racing will not work for what you want to do) you will need an exhaust shop do a custom job. (im getting mine done for $300) also your mass air flow goes in the boost piping, not the 4" intake. so just get a cheap cold air intake and use that as part of your intercooler piping.
let me know if you need anything else...also check out clubna-t.com for help with the FIC.
Old 12-27-08, 07:30 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

oh, and ive gotten it all (im doing the work myself) for about $3500
Old 12-27-08, 07:46 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is one-

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=BCS

You can try to get a hold of SRT and get one from them. You could also buy an ebay intake pipe and use that in your IC piping. I believe a Subaru WRX maf flange fits just fine, and you should find it in different sizes on ebay. Good luck!
Old 12-27-08, 08:54 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont waste your money having a custom downpipe made. Buy a Megan or whatever for a Supra and have it extended a few inches, that's all you have to do.

If you have worked on cars before you should know a muffler shop could easily handle that, also, think about how a maf functions, assuming your running bigger injectors there is an easy way to trick the ecu into compensating for the larger injectors through a little math and pipe sizing.
Old 12-27-08, 10:15 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=macd7919;4116255]Dont waste your money having a custom downpipe made. Buy a Megan or whatever for a Supra and have it extended a few inches, that's all you have to do.

Why would you do that?
the supra down pipe is gonna cost at least $150-$200 and then parts to extend it another $50-$100 and then labor (which is $75/hr at most exhaust shops) and that puts you over $400..and im getting my custom downpipe, and cutout installed, and resonators removed for $300 parts and labor...
Old 12-27-08, 10:23 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

just in case you haven't seen this...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ild-diary.html
Old 12-27-08, 10:40 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
just in case you haven't seen this...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ild-diary.html
LOL, are you serious? Maybe because I did my swap myself 3 years ago and knocked it out in four days, before a "turbo diy" was ever on the scene. Not to mention I haven't seen anyone beat my dyno numbers from two years ago on a swapped 2gs.

To the OP, you take whatever afldvice you want but I'm telling you now the way to do it, you can listen to people who haven't ever done a swap, it's your call.

I don't mean to be a jerk but I just get sick of all the bad information that goes on, especially on this subject.

Last edited by macd7919; 12-27-08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-27-08, 10:44 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

yeah, dude, where are you getting 50-100 in parts to extend a downpipe? all they have to do is cut it down the middle and weld in an insert piece of tubing the length of the extension needed...we're talking maybe a 4" length of 3" exhaust tubing...nowhere near 50-100 bucks.
Old 12-27-08, 11:18 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
LOL, are you serious? Maybe because I did my swap myself 3 years ago and knocked it out in four days, before a "turbo diy" was ever on the scene. Not to mention I haven't seen anyone beat my dyno numbers from two years ago on a swapped 2gs.

To the OP, you take whatever afldvice you want but I'm telling you now the way to do it, you can listen to people who haven't ever done a swap, it's your call.

I don't mean to be a jerk but I just get sick of all the bad information that goes on, especially on this subject.
wow..that link was meant for ChrisT88...anyways..I'm 2 days away from finishing my build..so im not just some random person that doesn't know anything...it just seems pointless (to me) to buy the down pipe..b/c even if you take out the 50-100 for parts your still between 250 and 300...and i'd just rather drop it off and let the shop deal with it..(as apposed to me having to buy the downpipe..get it shipped etc...) especially for the same price (without the resonators and the cutout the shop told me 250) but thats just me.. just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone
Old 12-27-08, 11:48 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

So you would rather have a steel pipe prone to rust with welds scattered through it instead of buying a premade smooth polished stainless steel pipe for $150 (they are all over the #1 auction site) and having it extended for $50. How do you plan in getting your car to the exhaust shop with no downpipe? Letting the burning hot exhaust gas and carbon just blow into the engine bay? Or towing the car for more money?
I'm just saying, if you want your setup to be clean without alot of fussing than the supra downpipe is the way to go, you can throw it on in the garage in 5 minutes, measure the distance you need it extended and have the whole job done cleanly in an hour. Since the lower part is what needs to be extended you could even install the pipe and drive to the muffler shop since the pipe will be dumping under the car which is 10x safer than your engine bay. Anyways, as I said before, I've had my car done and on the road without issue for 3 years, you can go whichever way you decide.

Last edited by macd7919; 12-27-08 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 12:45 AM
trunkflapp
Pole Position

Do you have the manifold yet? PM me if you're looking for one, I have a brand new one for CHEAP....

Quincy
Old 12-28-08, 06:36 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Seems to me each option has it's appeal. I am looking at the Megan racing pipe and it seems to be too long of a piece needing to be cut out since it's dual to single. Then the resonator needs to be removed still. Not a bad price though,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...Q5fAccessories

Now maybe the Supra or IS300 mid pipe would be a better solution. Could simply extend them if the flanges match up?

I looked for something cheap, $120 for this,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-P...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-28-08, 09:20 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

dont get the megan gs300 pipe...that would just leave you where you started...
I think we were referring to this... maybe im wrong..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...Q5fCarQ5fParts

and just to clarify...i have a "down pipe", its the stock y-pipe that needs to be replaced...and yes I plan on driving 5 min down the road with all my hot exhaust gases coming out of my down pipe...not my engine bay..it will be under the car...

Quick Reply: Getting close to turbo swap - few questions before I do