Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo kit or aristo swap is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 02:24 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
yeah, im not a big supercharger fan. what happened to those posts about the remote mount turbo for the gs400 and/or gs430?
dead and gone. it's just not practical. By the time you get a good remote mount setup running reliably, you might as well have started getting into stroker kits and probably well on your way to a TT
Old 01-07-09, 03:15 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe people answering peoples post's should know what they talking about. he has a gs....if i made my sn Lambhorgini Reventon that doesnt necessarily mean thats what i own/drive.

ok that make sense, BUT if I am on a Lexus forum and am making a post in the GS section and am asking a question about a GS when my screename is "onesckGS430" than everyone will assume you drive a gs430. If I make a thread asking about an intake for my GS but don't mention which GS model I own but my screenname is bluegs400 which intake will you assume I am talking about? I don't think people are going to search profiles to see if your screenname matches your question..lol
Old 01-07-09, 11:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
ok that make sense, BUT if I am on a Lexus forum and am making a post in the GS section and am asking a question about a GS when my screename is "onesckGS430" than everyone will assume you drive a gs430. If I make a thread asking about an intake for my GS but don't mention which GS model I own but my screenname is bluegs400 which intake will you assume I am talking about? I don't think people are going to search profiles to see if your screenname matches your question..lol
no i understand and i knwo your right, i was just teasing ford.....
Old 01-08-09, 08:27 AM
edsones14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jcat, thanks for the response. Ive been trying to do my homework on this one for about 2 months now. Currently im deployed in this ****hole of Iraq and want to have my swap layed out so i can get cracking when i get home. All work will be done by me except for any machine work. This is what i have collected so far, feel free anyone to chime in.

1. 2jzgte aristo head (non-vvti)
2. 2jzge bottom end (the one thats in the car)freshened up
3. either factory tt internals or after market?
4. Aem ems or something similar to run it all
5. Understanding that there is a bunch more stuff needed as far as intercooler, bov,fuel, ect,ect...thats not an issue.
6. Will this set up work as far as ease of install and even more important ge bottom end w tt/internals and a gte head non vvti? I have read through jeffs write up several times and i know he used a vvti head. Will i encounter many issues or is there something easier. The reason for this set is initially i want to stay with the twin set up and later go for single for more hp. I only want to have to pull this motor once if i have too. I figure have the internals at least prepped to handle more boost and when more loot becomes available i will upgrade to bigger single turbo along with the fuel and anything else i might need. Of course the other reason for this is the looks factor of the non vvti gte head (looks bad***) Keep in mind im doing all work myself too.
Old 01-08-09, 09:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
dead and gone. it's just not practical. By the time you get a good remote mount setup running reliably, you might as well have started getting into stroker kits and probably well on your way to a TT
actually.....looks like they fixing to market a single kit for like 3500 and a twin kit for like 6000 for the IS-F so maybe bout 4500 or so the gs400 or 430 can get one!

they just twin remote mount charged a new is-f
http://my.is/forums/f136/lexus-sema-...ance-f-368442/

videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGZSu...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIs0R20J-sE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_yQmghKf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0wIF...eature=related
Old 01-08-09, 10:53 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

actually.....looks like they fixing to market a single kit for like 3500 and a twin kit for like 6000 for the IS-F so maybe bout 4500 or so the gs400 or 430 can get one!

they just twin remote mount charged a new is-f
http://my.is/forums/f136/lexus-sema-...ance-f-368442/

videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGZSu...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIs0R20J-sE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_yQmghKf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0wIF...eature=related

haha two very different animals my friend. I have a feeling for the 430 with the electronics in that thing it would be a nightmare to tune for FI
Old 01-08-09, 11:03 AM
2slow4u
Driver School Candidate

how much do you guys really think this swap cost i'm seeing some really high figures?
Old 01-08-09, 11:55 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Ive been told..and after some research (if you get someone to do it for you) its gonna cost no less than 10K..everything done, out the door. now if you do it all yourself...you MAYBE could pull it off for 5000-6000... (you are talking about the gte swap right?) which IMO i would go with a swift kit, and be getting alot more power for the $$
Old 01-08-09, 01:05 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

a GTE swap, if you can find a VVTi aristo FRONT CLIP, not just engine, should cost you about 3-4k for the clip. Getting it installed will probably run you another 2-3k, plus whatever mods you end up doing, and maintenance on the motor (about a grand), so i would say about 8k plus mods. ^^10k would leave room for a good amount of modding on top, i'd say that's too high just for the swap to be done.
Old 01-08-09, 01:34 PM
hodgest21
Driver School Candidate

I see a gs300 with a vvti swap on ebay.
Old 01-08-09, 01:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

haha two very different animals my friend. I have a feeling for the 430 with the electronics in that thing it would be a nightmare to tune for FI
o i understand they 2 seperate beasts BUT it just inches the idea forward and actually the electronics should be harder to tune in the NEW IS-F then a older gs430

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
Ive been told..and after some research (if you get someone to do it for you) its gonna cost no less than 10K..everything done, out the door. now if you do it all yourself...you MAYBE could pull it off for 5000-6000... (you are talking about the gte swap right?) which IMO i would go with a swift kit, and be getting alot more power for the $$
then y DIDNT u get a swift kit, dont they make a NA-T kit also?
Old 01-08-09, 02:00 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

o i understand they 2 seperate beasts BUT it just inches the idea forward and actually the electronics should be harder to tune in the NEW IS-F then a older gs430

the swift kit is more complete, but costs a STUPID amount more than the club NA-T kit or piecing it together yourself (as i'm beginning to myself more on that project another time)

the swift kit, stg 2.75 i believe they call it, is actually made for the IS300, so a little fiddling with certain things like the IC and such are necessary, but is workable. Only downside is that it's upwards of 5g's by the time you get it installed and such. Then they have packages ranging all the way up to their platinum which costs 13000, but is literally about as good as going NA-T can get before a swap is more practical.
Old 01-08-09, 02:36 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Just like Jcat said..b/c that kit costs a good $2500 more than what it cost me to build my own... (and i didnt have 5k lol)
Old 01-08-09, 04:07 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

the swift kit is more complete, but costs a STUPID amount more than the club NA-T kit or piecing it together yourself (as i'm beginning to myself more on that project another time)

the swift kit, stg 2.75 i believe they call it, is actually made for the IS300, so a little fiddling with certain things like the IC and such are necessary, but is workable. Only downside is that it's upwards of 5g's by the time you get it installed and such. Then they have packages ranging all the way up to their platinum which costs 13000, but is literally about as good as going NA-T can get before a swap is more practical.
Your forgetting that the SRT kit includes injectors($400), fuel pump and install kit ($100), a Haltech F10x ($1000 alone), plus the sensors for the Haltech($200), a prewired harness so almost have a plug and play (time) as well as a name brand turbo (not saying Club Na-t turbo's aren't good but they are less than half the price of a precision so add an extra $800 for that), plus you get all your fittings, hoses, lines etc...($100) which get expensive very quickly, air filter ($50), cnc machined maf adapter ($50), boost controller ($100), head gasket ($100), head studs ($100),PRE-MADE intercooler piping ($500 for someone to fab and weld up custom piping), NGK Iridium spark plugs ($60), and midpipe ($150) etc etc.... So yes, the SRT kit is considerably more but it also includes $3700 worth of extra components over the Club Na-t kit.

A club Na-t kit is about $2000 with intercooler etc...so add $3700 to that and you are at $5700, SRT charges $5995 and that includes a custom harness already trimmed for your application as well as the time it took someone to go through the whole install and document every step and provide you with instructions, step by step, to do it in your garage, that in itself is priceless to some people.

So...I don't think either kit is over-priced, you get what you pay for, if you have the ability and know-how you can use the Club Na-t kit to make a great budget setup and come in well under $5595. But...if your going to be swapping parts here and there and doing a head gasket and haltech etc...anyways..then the SRT kit offers you everything you need in one package...they are just geared to a different type of consumer.
Old 01-08-09, 05:55 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

The SRT kit is available in GS specs, such as the IC piping, so it is a bolt on kit. The thing is that the IS300 is still a lot more popular to boost so that is why you seldom see a GS kit. Also, on top of everything macd mention, you get basemaps with the F10x, which is a big plus because tuning is the hardest part of a turbo build, whether you are doing it yourself or taking it to tuner who is other than a experienced Lexus tuner. Not to mention, if and when you get a hold of them, you get technical support from SRT themselves.

Quick Reply: Turbo kit or aristo swap is the question?