Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which Intake Is Best?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 07:21 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Which Intake Is Best?!?

I'm stuck. Thinking of Fujita - looks real nice in chrome. Or Swift Racing Intake, claims you get a lot of horsepower gain. Don't necessarily like cutting wires. Is the Fujita worth the money? What does everyone think? I know there's others out there. Which Intake Is The Best?

Last edited by timgs300; 01-08-09 at 07:22 PM. Reason: add smiley icon
Old 01-08-09, 07:30 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=2676585

"Search is your best friend",there are a lot of very informative threads which are a good read, a lot of very nice discussions on intakes Pros and Cons. I had the Srt really nice sound you can feel the car pull better, wiring was a mess though if its your first time messing with the Ecu ( but i have a GS4 so the SRT is kind of worth the money on the 4 but i read on the 3 its not really worth it). Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it is nice.

Last edited by Oleg400; 01-08-09 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 10:52 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dont do any kind of tuning with the intake...(Neo/SRT computer thing)
an intake is basically just an intake...so i dont see the need to spend 3x as much on a name..just my .02
Old 01-09-09, 12:01 AM
RoosterJoe
Driver School Candidate

I like my intake the best...

A oem sized K&N panel filter, and the stock airbox opened up at the leading edge by the front headlights.

Total cost? About $50 for the filter and some time with the dremel tool.

Back years ago folks over on the Tacoma forums dyno tested lots of cold air and other aftermarket intakes... they found the stock airbox, with the outside edge opened up and K&N performed better then all the other models.

I haven't been back to the dyno yet, but I'm getting noticeable better mileage since opening it up... well, that and removing my stock resonators.

I'm seeing 22.6 MPG on average at 85MPH... when before I'd have to drive 65MPH for the same gas mileage.

Old 01-09-09, 02:17 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RoosterJoe

A oem sized K&N panel filter, and the stock airbox opened up at the leading edge by the front headlights.

Back years ago folks over on the Tacoma forums dyno tested lots of cold air and other aftermarket intakes... they found the stock airbox, with the outside edge opened up and K&N performed better then all the other models.

I haven't been back to the dyno yet, but I'm getting noticeable better mileage since opening it up... well, that and removing my stock resonators.

I'm seeing 22.6 MPG on average at 85MPH... when before I'd have to drive 65MPH for the same gas mileage.

Nice! Never thought of that one!
Old 01-09-09, 05:14 AM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Default Injen

Looks like Injen makes one now for the 00-02 GS. Some want $355 but I found this site has it for a caliente price!

http://www.calienteautomotive.com/pr...Manifold+Cover
Old 01-09-09, 08:14 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timgs300
Looks like Injen makes one now for the 00-02 GS. Some want $355 but I found this site has it for a caliente price!

http://www.calienteautomotive.com/pr...Manifold+Cover
Hey buddy - hopefully you have that Tanabe MT all bolted on and sounding good!! It was a sad day when I had to let that go!!

I've been down this road and wanted to give you some feedback. As one of the posters commented, the K&N, Tom's, HKS, & others are great for drop in filters and will give you the needed boost (2-4 hp est.) without any low end loss. Moving to CAI's, I tried a couple of found that the Injen really is a better choice but would recommend some tuning vehicle to maximize results.

I think you have a GS300, right?

Since you're a solid citizen and we'll dealt with each other before, stop by one of these weekends I can loan you a Weapon R - Secret Weapon CAI that you can bolt on and get a feel for the gains, then check the market for a tuning agent and you "best option" as far as CAI's.

Here's a link of what the Weapon R looks like:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/x/wea...on-intakes.asp

p.s. if you forgot my phone number send me a pm

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 02-10-09 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 11:34 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoosterJoe

Pics?????
Old 01-09-09, 05:56 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Hey buddy - hopefully you have that Tanabe MT all bolted on and sounding good!! It was a sad day when I had to let that go!!
Thanks ZIPPY. I checked out your sale thread and looked quite carefully at the WeaponR. BTW you will only get premium stuff from ZIPPYGUY!

I am ashamed to say the Tanabe sits in the shed. I am so lazy I only want to put up this car on jacks once, so I got this idea and got some 07' ES350 wheels, brembo solid rotors and axxis organic pads. Painted rotors with VHT black, then took them to a local guy to have them custom painted with a secret yet to be revealed logo. Then I got VHT clear and it's too cold to paint. At the same time I was waiting on the 98-99 gs300 headers I bought from lexpartsworld and I want to paint them with VHT chrome. I also bought all the nuts and bolts for the exhaust install. So I'm hoping it will get warm or I'm gonna buy a heater so I can paint.

Back to the intakes. From reading various threads, it seems like the intakes are almost more show than flow. However, I go in with that expectation and am looking more toward sound, looks, and legality. A matching oil cap would be nice, too.

I have been thinking a lot about your turbo "aspirations". Have you checked out the awesome VVTI 2JZGTE with tranny swaps available? I seriously considered importing an Aristo! For the kind of money you're looking to spend, seems like you should go go Aristo!
Old 01-09-09, 09:20 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

So the srt with the chip isnt worth it on the 3????
Old 01-10-09, 04:31 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks ZIPPY. I checked out your sale thread and looked quite carefully at the WeaponR. BTW you will only get premium stuff from ZIPPYGUY!

I am ashamed to say the Tanabe sits in the shed. I am so lazy I only want to put up this car on jacks once, so I got this idea and got some 07' ES350 wheels, brembo solid rotors and axxis organic pads. Painted rotors with VHT black, then took them to a local guy to have them custom painted with a secret yet to be revealed logo. Then I got VHT clear and it's too cold to paint. At the same time I was waiting on the 98-99 gs300 headers I bought from lexpartsworld and I want to paint them with VHT chrome. I also bought all the nuts and bolts for the exhaust install. So I'm hoping it will get warm or I'm gonna buy a heater so I can paint.

Back to the intakes. From reading various threads, it seems like the intakes are almost more show than flow. However, I go in with that expectation and am looking more toward sound, looks, and legality. A matching oil cap would be nice, too.

I have been thinking a lot about your turbo "aspirations". Have you checked out the awesome VVTI 2JZGTE with tranny swaps available? I seriously considered importing an Aristo! For the kind of money you're looking to spend, seems like you should go go Aristo!

And here I thought you were going to go at things passively!!

Where did you get your headers?

You need to give me a call or contact my boy Marti over at www.vipgarage.com if you're looking at a swap. He, along with someone in FL and CA, figured out how to do the GE-GTE swap 100% OBD2 compliant...not a "trick" but 100% compliant.
Old 01-10-09, 04:35 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
It's a matter of preference. The SRT is a fine unit from what I understand, but there are other paths and lots of options.

BTW - it's a re-wired race ECU, not a chip. You should give them a call, SRT has figured out a lot of this stuff.
Old 01-10-09, 07:36 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
And here I thought you were going to go at things passively!!

Where did you get your headers?

You need to give me a call or contact my boy Marti over at www.vipgarage.com if you're looking at a swap. He, along with someone in FL and CA, figured out how to do the GE-GTE swap 100% OBD2 compliant...not a "trick" but 100% compliant.
Headers from lexpartsworld.com they had/have a 10% off sale. They are OEM 98-99, so everything is legal in the 50 states.

Now that's what I'm talking about. 100% pure Aristo Twin Turbo Power and the feds give it the thumbs up

Not sure I can justify ditching my motor (only 30k) for a used GTE and all the problems that could arise. I will definitely keep this in mind when I get a few more miles out of this one.
Old 01-10-09, 08:58 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

The SRT intake is a good intake with some slight gains...but for the money if you can find someone selling an LMS CAI id go for that.
Old 01-11-09, 05:20 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.calienteautomotive.com/product_detail.php/5474/IS+Series+Short+Ram+Air+Intake+System+w/+Stainless+Exh.+Manifold+Cover
They've been making intakes for all 2GS for a while now, that was one of my first mods about 3 1/2 years ago.

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
Honestly, I don't think it's worth it on any car. Simply because you're most likely going to do other mods such as exhaust and headers to say the least. So you're better off going with a cheaper intake and getting an Apexi SAFC or Neo so you can have it tuned for the other mods.

Quick Reply: Which Intake Is Best?!?