Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 01:49 PM
lberry27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES-350 Oil Control Valve

I just had my OCV replaced and was wondering if the OCV operates in variable positions or is it on or off. Fully closed or fully opened? I think it adjusts across a range of positions by varying voltage but was looking for an answer from an expert. Thanks
Old 02-23-14, 07:46 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP161
Coincidentally, my check engine light turns on after taking a 50 mile road trip late last night. I thought I was going to be stranded. My light goes away today but I did have a friend run the code. P1349 is what I know I can just clean it, but I am going to order a new replacement from Lexus tomorrow. Great thread!
I replaced my filter with an OEM filter from Lexus. It was the easiest thing ever. The car ran fine for a week with no CEL. I go on another 45 mile trip and once I pull off the highway, the CEL lights up and the engine dies. I try to restart the car. It started after the fifth try. Luckily I made it home. CEL is still on. I'm sending it in to the mechanics this week.
Old 03-16-14, 03:23 PM
JStov
Driver School Candidate

Wow my car starting hestitating the other day after a fuel fill up thought it might have been bad gas I put water remover in it it cleared up on the way home both check engine light and VCs lights went away this morning I let the car idle for about 10 minutes pulled off and it started hesitating and act like it was going to stall at normal temperature. Outside is 15 degress ao im figuring this is why it went away last night? I guess lol today I checked filterafter reading this thread and my filter is totally blocked Wow on my way to do the valve check now but letting the filter soak in fuel I hope this is it
Old 03-16-14, 08:47 PM
JStov
Driver School Candidate

Well after cleaning the filter and taking the ocv out and inspecting it by putting 12v voltage to it outside of the car to see if the valve would moved, it did so I figured that this was not the problem. After resetting my computer the car drove really good for a few moles then started as shaking throwing codes again! So maybe its when it gets hot it starts to act up or just quit. Help me plz should I order another one tomorrow.
Old 03-17-14, 02:57 PM
tuanb2013
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 Lexus GS300 started to idle and die after engine warmed, not acceleration power. When the engine is cold it will not idle. The code I got was P 1346-VVT Sensor Circuit Range fault/ Performance Bank 1 & P 1349-VVT System Fault Bank 1, from Pep-Boys Auto. After reading some of the threads I went on Ebay and ordered the part,
TOYOTA AND LEXUS OEM FACTORY NEW CAM TIMING OIL CONTROL VALVE & FILTER PART NUMBER: 15330-46011(OCV) &
PART NUMBER: 15678-48020(OCV Filter) for only $85.95. Don't buy it from Lexus Dealer, it'll cost you $190.00 from Lexus Dealer.

I replaced the parts, very easy fix, had a friend did the work for me. Took him only 10 mins. Now my car is running great, like new! VSC & VSC OFF Lights all went away. Thanks to all the ppl who posted on this Thread, it helped me a great deal & saved me a lot of time and money.
HERE IS THE EBAY SITE WHERE I OREDED THE PARTS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231144032310

Hope this will help some of you....Thanks again everyone!

Tuanb2013

Last edited by tuanb2013; 03-17-14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 07:58 PM
cuemaster
Driver School Candidate

i built my 2jz supra motor but was stumped by this till this thread, now my is300 sportcross
is purring like a kitten again. thanks to all involved especially that great pictorial making
the fix stupid easy just like i like it. cheers.
Old 04-04-14, 04:23 PM
misslele70
Driver School Candidate

my cel came on and the code 1349. changed the ocv filter light went off for about 30 miles and came back on. the other day the car decided to stall at the stop light and when I tried to restart it the engine was shaking so had it towed. Decided to replace the OCV and the cel is still on and the oil light is now on! Help
Old 04-24-14, 11:08 AM
Smalls
Driver School Candidate

Greetings! Thanks for all the good info and photos... I would like to know would this mess with the timing of the car? I took the cover off to get to the oil solenoid and under the cover it shows 5 steps and one shows the center bolt taken off of the timing belt crank to replace the oil solenoid. Do you have any information on this? I have a 2000 GS 300. Just making sure before I replace the part, it looks easy but don't want to create any timing issues. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by sakataj
well the last few days have been a debacle and a PITA....i took both these out and cleaned them since i looked at alldata and i couldnt find out what the B on the end of the code meant (i thought it was signifying bank 2 but according to the alldata codes P1346 and P1349 WERE BANK ONE (so does anyone know what the B on the end signifies?)

anyways i took some pics while i did all this

it all started out with this

i then removed the drivers side one (bank one) for a cleaning, i now understand what OP was saying when he said this

yes the actual filter is encased inside the valve or as the dealer calls it the VALVE ASSEMBLY, CAMSHAFT TIMING OIL CONTROL. but this valve can still be cleaned, just not as functionally as the gs300's can be

BTW V-8 GUYS yes gs400 and gs430 use the same part #'s
part # for drivers side 153400F010 $88.89 (with sewell discount)
part # for passenger side 153300F010 $88.89 (with sewell discount)

in this picture below i break it down just for you visual guys or DIY guys

remove the valve cover (2 10mm bolts)

DRIVERS SIDE

the green arrow is the 10mm bolt that holds the OCV valve into the cam cover area
the blue arrow is the plug that the OCV plugs into (BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN UNPLUGGING THIS AS ITS ONLY 2 WIRES AND THEY CAN/WILL RIP LIKE THE GUY IN THE V8 VIDEO AND MYSELF'S DID)
the red arrow is where the OCV or valve assembly fits in....nothing else needs to be removed just kind of jiggle it out. reassembly is the same, it ONLY goes in one way

this is the OEM drivers side OCV removed and physically it doesnt look bad, no sludging or anything on it. i run full synthetic oil and i change it every 8k, i also do oil analysis which all show it to be fine. regardless i cleaned them with some aerosol brake cleaner which still didnt get much off of them

now the passenger side i had some more issues with when i went to unplug it, the wires pulled out of it....i have a DIY on how to fix this correctly just a little l8r down.

the green arrow is the 10mm bolt that holds the OCV valve into the cam cover area
the blue arrow is the plug that the OCV plugs into (AGAIN BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN UNPLUGGING SO IT DOESNT RIP)
the red arrow is where the OCV or valve assembly fits in....again nothing else needs to be removed just kind of jiggle it out. reassembly is the same, it ONLY goes in one way

here is the passenger side removed with the new plug.i ripped the wires out when removing this plug and i had started to unpin the old one to new pin them back together when i realized in their junk room they had a few toyota harness on the wall so i clipped off a plug and ended up resoldering the wires back

i cleaned BOTH mine, repaired the ripped wire and reinstalled them, borrowed my mechanics SPX scanner i really like (they have several different ones but this is my fav to use)

and cleared the codes. started the car up, ran fine, no CEL, no vibration at low idle and no shuddering either. i reved it a handful of times, took it around the block and then brought it back and let it sit running for the next 10 mins or so while i cleaned up my mess.....drove the car into the bay and lifted it up to install my TRD lower brace. Got that installed, left the work and headed to my night job to pick up something which is about 10-15 miles away. So car has now been on for about 30 minutes and driven about 10-15 miles without any issues. right as im pulling into the parking lot of work i got not just a CEL but a flashing CEL (which means i have a severe misfire going on) i pulled into the parking lot and hooked the scanner back up (i borrowed it from him) all i got was this one lone code P1349B.i reset the code and when i started it back up it didnt blink just stayed solid

so cleaning DIDNT fix mine but i have some used ones from a GS400 coming in today and i will try and see if this fixes them., if not i will dive further into looking into this.......i did notice when the car has sat for awhile and is cold it has NO issues even with the CEL on but when it gets warmed up and has been driven for a minute thats when it will develop the low end ( at a stop light) shake if i come to a stop sign or a stop light and i put it in neutral it seems to behave better but i have really been nursing this car waiting on my parts

i will update when i get everything installed

see all i use is mobil one full synthetic and i been experimenting with these purolater oil filters for the last year or so BUT my oil analysis have been good so far so i dunno what caused this. i just changed oil about 800 miles ago and since i only send every other one of for analysis i didnt send this one which now i wish i had

yeah the alldata was referring to the VVTi sensor for removing the timing belt btw the V8's require removing ONLY the engine cover nothing else to access these

IF YOU RIP YOUR PLUG (V-8 GUYS) THIS INFO IS FOR YOU

THE ATTACHMENT BELOW THIS POST IS FOR THE VISUAL GS430 GUYS AND A WRITE UP IS ALSO BELOW FOR THE OTHER GUYS

there is a attachment on here which shows you the postive/negative side of the plug and the actual plug itself (2nd page of the attachment) but let me break it down even easier for those of you who need a little extra help

were gonna start with the drivers side plug which is gonna be plug C-3. now looking at the face of the plug (where you can see the metal tabs inside it like in the picture) the left tab # 1 of the C-3 plug is your POSITIVE side and will connect to the BLUE/YELLOW wire coming from the car. The right tab # 2 of the C-3 plug is gonna be the negative side and will connect to the GREEN/WHITE wire from the car

now the passenger side (the one i ripped) which is gonna be plug C-4. now looking at the face of the plug (where you can see the metal tabs inside it like in the picture) the left tab # 1 of the C-4 plug is your POSITIVE side and will connect to the BLUE/WHITE wire coming from the car. The right tab # 2 of the C-4 plug is gonna be the negative side and will connect to the BLUE/BLACK wire from the car

IF YOU RIP YOUR PLUG (GS400 GUYS) NO ATTACHMENT INCLUDED BUT HERE IS A SIMPLE WRITE UP BELOW OF HOW TO CORRECTLY WIRE IT BACK

the drivers side plug is gonna be plug C-3. now looking at the face of the plug (where you can see the metal tabs inside it like in the picture) the left tab # 1 of the C-3 plug is your POSITIVE side and will connect to the WHITE/GREEN wire coming from the car. The right tab # 2 of the C-3 plug is gonna be the negative side and will connect to the YELLOW/ORANGE (OR RED)wire from the car CANT TELL COLOR WITHOUT THE WIRING DIAGRAM AS ITS FADED

the passenger side is gonna be plug C-4. now looking at the face of the plug (where you can see the metal tabs inside it like in the picture) the left tab # 1 of the C-4 plug is your POSITIVE side and will connect to the WHITE/RED (OR PINK) wire from the car CANT TELL COLOR WITHOUT THE WIRING DIAGRAM AS ITS FADED. The right tab # 2 of the C-4 plug is gonna be the negative side and will connect to the BLUE/BLACK wire from the car

Drivers Side OCV Valve From A Gs400

Passenger Side OCV Valve From A Gs400

ONLY NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN THEM.OEM GS400 ON THE LEFT AND OEM GS430 ON THE RIGHT only real difference is the one on the left has a small C styled clip inside the tip and the one on the right is solid. i believe since they now use the same part # any new ones from a dealer will look like the one on the right

Old 04-25-14, 04:04 AM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
I have posted on the 1uz screens. I may have even posted up the factory manual pics, can't remember. They are under the front cam towers. It is a PITA if that is all you are doing. If you are close to changing the timing belt it will save some time. I cleaned mine and all was fine for about two years and now I will have to do it again as I am getting the codes again. Unfortunately I bought a car that someone did not do regular oil changes on. Running thinner oil, 5-30 will get you by for a little while.
Thanks for the info on the locations of the ocv filters on the 1uzfe. Going to do my timing belt at the same time. I'll post a pic for the v8 guys when I get all my timing parts in.
Old 04-25-14, 10:37 PM
Smalls
Driver School Candidate

Hello, do you know if he had to tamper with the timing? I took the cover off to get to the oil solenoid and under the cover it shows 5 steps and one shows the center bolt taken off of the timing belt crank to replace the oil solenoid. Do you have any information on this? I have a 2000 GS 300. Just making sure before I replace the part, it looks easy but don't want to create any timing issues. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by tuanb2013
My 2002 Lexus GS300 started to idle and die after engine warmed, not acceleration power. When the engine is cold it will not idle. The code I got was P 1346-VVT Sensor Circuit Range fault/ Performance Bank 1 & P 1349-VVT System Fault Bank 1, from Pep-Boys Auto. After reading some of the threads I went on Ebay and ordered the part,
TOYOTA AND LEXUS OEM FACTORY NEW CAM TIMING OIL CONTROL VALVE & FILTER PART NUMBER: 15330-46011(OCV) &
PART NUMBER: 15678-48020(OCV Filter) for only $85.95. Don't buy it from Lexus Dealer, it'll cost you $190.00 from Lexus Dealer.

I replaced the parts, very easy fix, had a friend did the work for me. Took him only 10 mins. Now my car is running great, like new! VSC & VSC OFF Lights all went away. Thanks to all the ppl who posted on this Thread, it helped me a great deal & saved me a lot of time and money.
HERE IS THE EBAY SITE WHERE I OREDED THE PARTS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231144032310

Hope this will help some of you....Thanks again everyone!

Tuanb2013
Old 04-30-14, 03:26 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GS4 OCV Filter location pics https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-location.html

Last edited by SweetS160; 05-07-14 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 09:02 PM
jlexgs300
Driver School Candidate

Default gs showing p1349 code ... help

My gs is showing p1349 code and my mechanic is tryng to charge me $500 , I feel played . I'm going to start with my OCV and clean it , check my timing belt and seals , water pump and anything associated . I have changed my o2 oxygen sensor and I use synthetic mobile one oil for performance but my ride feels sluggish , I need some feedback please ...... Help ... Also what website sells OCV I want to buy a new one anyway
Old 05-12-14, 10:58 AM
NucklBustr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlexgs300
My gs is showing p1349 code and my mechanic is tryng to charge me $500 , I feel played . I'm going to start with my OCV and clean it , check my timing belt and seals , water pump and anything associated . I have changed my o2 oxygen sensor and I use synthetic mobile one oil for performance but my ride feels sluggish , I need some feedback please ...... Help ... Also what website sells OCV I want to buy a new one anyway
Don't bother with taking the ocv apart to clean the filter cause it's never the filter. Change the ocv, takes 20 min & you're on your way. I didn't want to wait for the part so I went right to Toyota & picked it up for $139.
Old 05-14-14, 07:24 AM
srob817
Rookie

So I just checked my ocv filter as a part of some preventative maint, and when I removed the Banjo bolt there was no filter in the housing! lol

So it looks like the previous owner just removed it not sure why. It is not throwing any codes. Looks like I am giving Toyota a call.
Old 07-02-14, 01:07 AM
StanTycoon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter