Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS300 and AEM FIC Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 09:18 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you change the maf setting?
Old 01-24-09, 01:27 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i clamped it at 4.7v and then i changed the maf map to 9%. maybe i need to update my firmware and see what happens.
Old 01-25-09, 10:54 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

@beez43, im still getting a vsv/vsc and p0100 prblem. =/. btw i noticed on my gauge screen on the fic, its saying my voltage on the maf in is 1. something, and maf out is 0. could this be the problem that i cant rev pass 3k rpm.
Old 01-26-09, 01:07 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Deception
@beez43, im still getting a vsv/vsc and p0100 prblem. =/. btw i noticed on my gauge screen on the fic, its saying my voltage on the maf in is 1. something, and maf out is 0. could this be the problem that i cant rev pass 3k rpm.

I would say 0 volts out is bad. Unless you have some modified MAF map the out voltage should be the same as the in (with the exception of the voltage clamp).

So I went ahead and removed my turbo, header and wastegate today. Found nothing wrong! it was closed when I removed it and when applying a small amount of air to each of the two ports I found that valve moved nice and smooth on the side port and held very strong(much stiffer then just spring alone) on the top port. Inside the diaphragm was flawless and the valve had no flaws and didn't feel sticky. The spring was also in good shape and is pretty hard to depress by hand.

Me and my local shop are seriously thinking it's my exhaust choking the wastegate open but the only way to know for sure is to throw money I didn't wanna spend yet at it . My exhaust is basicly stock. I have only removed the manifold cats and welded my downpipe directly to the stock exhaust where it first goes into the single pipe.

After putting the car back together I took it for a drive. Hit a peak 1.8 pounds when I floor the car from 0 - 60. When I hold 3/4 throttle doing the same 0 - 60 run I can get it up to 4 - 6 pounds peak on my boost controller peak boost feature but it's a very weak/random boost with an odd pulling feel. Air fuel of course stays between 11:1 - 12:1 no matter how I drive it. I've also noticed the boost spikes up an additional 1 - 2 pounds during shifts?

Also, sometimes I'll randomly floor it after "working" the car into giving me 4-6 pounds of boost at 3/4 throttle and the car will pull awesome at 3-4.5 pounds and it feels like a true 3-4 pounds rather then feathering 3/4 throttle up to 4-6 pounds.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I know it sounds crazy. My only guess is a cat thats clogged and doesn't like the flow seen @ wide open throttle or my knock off HKS SSQV blow off is defective/adjusted wrong (I will try to adjust the blow off tomorrow).

Thanks guys. Atleast I can hear the blow off now and I feel like I'm driving a turbo car

Chris
Old 01-26-09, 01:13 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes. this is just like having your maf disconnected. without your maf connected, you can only rev up to 3k in a rich environment (10:1 AFR)

double check your wiring. it sounds like you got something reversed or not properly grounded. Solder and heatshrink is the only way.
Old 01-26-09, 04:23 AM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisT88
I would say 0 volts out is bad. Unless you have some modified MAF map the out voltage should be the same as the in (with the exception of the voltage clamp).

So I went ahead and removed my turbo, header and wastegate today. Found nothing wrong! it was closed when I removed it and when applying a small amount of air to each of the two ports I found that valve moved nice and smooth on the side port and held very strong(much stiffer then just spring alone) on the top port. Inside the diaphragm was flawless and the valve had no flaws and didn't feel sticky. The spring was also in good shape and is pretty hard to depress by hand.

Me and my local shop are seriously thinking it's my exhaust choking the wastegate open but the only way to know for sure is to throw money I didn't wanna spend yet at it . My exhaust is basicly stock. I have only removed the manifold cats and welded my downpipe directly to the stock exhaust where it first goes into the single pipe.

After putting the car back together I took it for a drive. Hit a peak 1.8 pounds when I floor the car from 0 - 60. When I hold 3/4 throttle doing the same 0 - 60 run I can get it up to 4 - 6 pounds peak on my boost controller peak boost feature but it's a very weak/random boost with an odd pulling feel. Air fuel of course stays between 11:1 - 12:1 no matter how I drive it. I've also noticed the boost spikes up an additional 1 - 2 pounds during shifts?

Also, sometimes I'll randomly floor it after "working" the car into giving me 4-6 pounds of boost at 3/4 throttle and the car will pull awesome at 3-4.5 pounds and it feels like a true 3-4 pounds rather then feathering 3/4 throttle up to 4-6 pounds.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I know it sounds crazy. My only guess is a cat thats clogged and doesn't like the flow seen @ wide open throttle or my knock off HKS SSQV blow off is defective/adjusted wrong (I will try to adjust the blow off tomorrow).

Thanks guys. Atleast I can hear the blow off now and I feel like I'm driving a turbo car

Chris
really sounds like a leak to me...same thing was happening to me..and it was the coupler against the intake manifold..funny thing was that it was tight..and didnt have any holes in it or anything...but i changed it, and it works fine...wierd
Old 01-26-09, 11:29 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

thanks kenny, im on my way to the garage now to double check the wires. i have 2 hours before class starts;
Old 01-26-09, 11:35 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn this is tough stuff.. afraid what will happen once i put the turbo in.. car is running fine right now with the aem but i set the maf value at 12 for now... it was idling a little rough before at 9.. could be a coil pack or injector but the injector situation will all change..
Old 01-26-09, 02:29 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

yea...mine was running rough 2 at 9..but i put it back down to 9 from 12 and its fine now
Old 01-27-09, 12:25 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

I cut out a chunk about 2" long and 1" deep in my exhaust just after the downpipe and now my boost hits 10lbs fast! Now my issue is too much boost. I bought the 12lb spring version XS 50mm wastegate thinking the boost pressure to the side port would reduce it low enough to run 6-8lbs of boost but it's more like 9.5-10.5 pounds which is too much for my stock fuel so I haven't been able to really hold in it but I'm excited I found my issue. Hopefully when I remove the exhaust and the cut out it will increase the back pressure enough to help open the wastegate a little more again

Total spent so far is $1,620 including AEM FIC & intercooler piping. Not bad!
Old 01-27-09, 07:25 AM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to thread jack but I have a boomslang harness for aem fic for sale. $200 takes it.
Old 01-27-09, 02:12 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sleeper2jz
Not to thread jack but I have a boomslang harness for aem fic for sale. $200 takes it.
01+ ecu right? ...what exactly is the point of a harness? is it just for the ppl who are not confident enough to tap into the factory wiring? jw
Old 01-27-09, 03:12 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
01+ ecu right? ...what exactly is the point of a harness? is it just for the ppl who are not confident enough to tap into the factory wiring? jw
That and it makes it so if you ever want to take it off, you just pull the harness off instead of splicing wires together and having a mess.
Old 01-27-09, 10:08 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

ok i checked wiring its good. i use the reverse harness and start the car, the car starts fine, vsv vsc and check engine light goes away and i can rev pass 3k.

when i plug harness into fic, the car can not rev pass3k. i see the maf in is at 4-5volts and maf out is 0 volts. <- i think this maybe the issue. but how do i fix this issue. it is giving me a headacce and i want to start tuning the car.

is my fic broken?

sorry i already splice my wires, lol.

tps sensor isnt messed up, the car runs fine in reverse harness.

Last edited by Deception; 01-27-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 10:17 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

ok i checked wiring its good. i use the reverse harness and start the car, the car starts fine, vsv vsc and check engine light goes away and i can rev pass 3k.

when i plug harness into fic, the car can not rev pass3k. i see the maf in is at 4-5volts and maf out is 0 volts. <- i think this maybe the issue. but how do i fix this issue. it is giving me a headacce and i want to start tuning the car.

is my fic broken?

sorry i already splice my wires, lol.
Can you hit CTRL + S and take a screen shot of your setup values. Also make sure your MAF MAP is all 0 for now.

I've attached a screen shot of what your MAF setup should look like. Ignore the O2 setup if your using stock O2's still.
Attached Thumbnails GS300 and AEM FIC Install-aemsetup.jpg  

Last edited by ChrisT88; 01-27-09 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: GS300 and AEM FIC Install