Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Project SleepSter: Let's get to it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 11:11 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

What brand turbo are you going with? Since that's the main part, that's the main one you can't cheap out on. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, piecing together the parts. I'm cheaping out on the things that I can like bov, ic but the other stuff I'll throw down a little more money so it can be reliable.
Old 01-20-09, 02:53 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
What brand turbo are you going with? Since that's the main part, that's the main one you can't cheap out on. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, piecing together the parts. I'm cheaping out on the things that I can like bov, ic but the other stuff I'll throw down a little more money so it can be reliable.
I have not yet set myself on a particular turbo. My options that i'm considering now are these:

-GT35r
-t62-1
-pt61
-pt67

I won't be cheaping out on it, but I will be buying it used. Updated first post with more build cost tally stuff, it's looking good so far, and looking even better now that i finally got a job!
Old 01-21-09, 08:22 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Polished SS Tubular manifold t4 with 4bolt dp flange

Greddy Type-S BOV

Generic FMIC

Really good quality for used stuff that only cost me $285.
Old 01-21-09, 01:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
I won't be cheaping out on it, but I will be buying it used.
aren't those one in the same. j/k ALTHOUGH in my opinion if u buy a used turbo MAKE SURE YOU GET IT REBUILT BEFORE YOU MOUNT IT this way you know its ok and save yourself some future headaches...i did this will all my turboed hondas. just my $0.02 though.
Old 02-01-09, 02:10 PM
bursond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which turbo exhaust do you plan to use?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...7-img-0320.jpg

Last edited by bursond; 02-05-09 at 04:12 PM. Reason: link
Old 02-01-09, 02:19 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bursond
Which turbo exhaust do you plan to use?
Any of the cat back exhausts work fine for turbo use on the GS since it is a true dual out system unless you are trying to flow more than a 3" pipe can handle.
Old 02-05-09, 02:17 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
Any of the cat back exhausts work fine for turbo use on the GS since it is a true dual out system unless you are trying to flow more than a 3" pipe can handle.
exactly, my temporary 7-8psi setup will run through the factory exhaust for the time being, then once I go in and reset for my 12-14psi setup I'll have a 3" system fabbed to the l-tuned mufflers, and probably throw a cutout after the DP for a little fun here or there.

UPDATE: injectors came in, just purchased the FIC ahead of schedule because i got a deal i couldn't refuse.
Old 02-05-09, 03:12 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
exactly, my temporary 7-8psi setup will run through the factory exhaust for the time being, then once I go in and reset for my 12-14psi setup I'll have a 3" system fabbed to the l-tuned mufflers, and probably throw a cutout after the DP for a little fun here or there.

UPDATE: injectors came in, just purchased the FIC ahead of schedule because i got a deal i couldn't refuse.
Be careful running that much boost on stock exhaust ( I was more referring to aftermarket cat backs above). On stock exhaust you can have exhaust temp issues because it's really low flow (compared to an aftermarket). It's also quite a bit of backpressure for the turbo, especially if your recirculating your wastegate. Switching to an aftermarket system will probably net you around 30whp at 9psi, possibly more.
Old 02-05-09, 06:20 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
Be careful running that much boost on stock exhaust ( I was more referring to aftermarket cat backs above). On stock exhaust you can have exhaust temp issues because it's really low flow (compared to an aftermarket). It's also quite a bit of backpressure for the turbo, especially if your recirculating your wastegate. Switching to an aftermarket system will probably net you around 30whp at 9psi, possibly more.
yeah, i won't be pushing it super hard on the initial setup, so stock exhaust really won't be on there for long haha. Resonators will be removed, and the 3" will likely be the first thing on my list once the initial setup is done. if it presents itself immediately after driving for a while, i'll just have to get it done. My wastegate will be open dump but I'm planning on a dump tube with a turndown and maybe 6" of pipe to aim the hot gases away from the engine bay. Would it be any more expensive or advantageous to recirc the wastegate into the dp?
Old 02-13-09, 12:29 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

UPDATE: some confusion as to my direction has now been cleared up, and the base setup is nearing completion as far as parts are concerned!!! Post one has been updated with parts. if you want a current build cost tally take it to PM
Old 02-14-09, 07:57 AM
velella
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, i think that is the GTE manifold. jest letting you know to check it! cause it doesnt look like the GE
Old 02-14-09, 09:44 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by velella
hey man, i think that is the GTE manifold. jest letting you know to check it! cause it doesnt look like the GE
hmm....well it is a ****ty pic, the dude i bought it from was using it on an na-t as far as i knew/he told me. I'll have to look into that further. Good looks
Old 02-14-09, 09:56 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...what BRAND turbine will you be using? Not what trim.
Old 02-14-09, 09:59 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Caoboy
So...what BRAND turbine will you be using? Not what trim.
oh, i did forget to include that didn't i. It's an xspower t57, i got a crazy deal on it so i'm gonna just run it for my base low boost setup and upgrade to something better when its time to turn up the boost. Likely a 62-1 or gt35r. Unfortunately I don't quite have the cash to drop on one of those now, hence the t57.

The whole build's on a budget, and i think right now i'm setting records with my (cost) numbers although buying a kit would have been sooo much easier.
Old 02-14-09, 11:51 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by velella
nah, my manifold is definitely a GE manifold. The GTE Has 2 mounting holes dead in the middle of each 3 ports, set about a half inch higher, mine doesn't. Thanks though, wow i woulda been pissed if i had the wrong manifold.

Quick Reply: Project SleepSter: Let's get to it.