Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS4 track car build gets underway, 2jz, V160

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 02:11 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwtt
Who is your tuner? The VVTi GTE motors are great motors, usually tuners shy away from them because they aren't fimiliar with them. Also, why don't you just run the oem ecu/Vpro combination like 99% of the other cars. I do realize this is not a street car, but the Vpro will still have complete control over everything except idle and VVTi (Although you can obviously have the Vpro control those too, it just costs more money.)

I have a simular setup as yours: 67mm, fuel system, Vpro etc etc. I also have the Vpro software so I am fairly familiar with how it works.

Just curious on your reasonings. I like the build !
I talked to Alex Pfeiffer(building a 2JZ SC) down in Long beach and he is going with the Viepak(spelling). He knows the designer and its supposed to be the boss. I'm going to wait to finally lock down a ecu until I get to tuning school. I know that will the best place to discuss positives and negatives of all the ecu's out there. I haven't broke the engine down b/c of this, if i can run the VVTI i want to.

Last edited by ExileLakai; 04-23-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 02:13 PM
CleanS14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExileLakai
I talked to Alex Pfeiffer(building a 2JZ SC) and he is going with the Viepak(spelling). He know the designer and its supposed to be the boss. I'm going to wait to finally lock down a ecu until I get done with tuning school. I know that will will the best place to discuss positives and negatives of all the ecu out there. I haven't broke the engine down b/c of this if i can run the VVTI i want to.
Ahhh talking with Alex about his 1000hp SC - is your car gonna be at ASB in July? Would like to take a look if it's done by then!
Old 04-23-09, 02:20 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CleanS14
Well if you need a GTE head I may have one for sale next week. I talked with the HKS guys recently as I'm thinking about what to do myself and they too said I should go with a GTE head.

SP Engineering tuning your setup?
No I got my info from a tuner over on the supra forums. SN "Obiwan" But i also got the conflicting info from Garage BOSO which is the US tuner for all the HKS cars that make the trip over from Japan. They want 2k for a tune. thats nothing to something.. cold start, warm start, any throttle position etc. ect. They say that the V-pro can control the stock VVTi controller...

With all this conflicting information I'm just going to put myself through a tuning certification course and make a educated decision and tune the damn thing myself. http://www.efi101.com/acp.html
Old 04-23-09, 02:22 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Ahhh talking with Alex about his 1000hp SC - is your car gonna be at ASB in July? Would like to take a look if it's done by then!
I want to make ASB but i really doubt the car will be done be then. Work has slowed down a lot and i still got the monthly bills to pay.
Old 04-23-09, 02:26 PM
CleanS14
Lead Lap

No I got my info from a tuner over on the supra forums. SN "Obiwan" But i also got the conflicting info from Garage BOSO which is the US tuner for all the HKS cars that make the trip over from Japan. They want 2k for a tune. thats nothing to something.. cold start, warm start, any throttle position etc. ect. They say that the V-pro can control the stock VVTi controller...

With all this conflicting information I'm just going to put myself through a tuning certification course and make a educated decision and tune the damn thing myself. http://www.efi101.com/acp.html
You do know you can have an actual HKS tuner do your stuff right? They tuned my last car for me - just isn't cheap but performance and output was exactly what I wanted and needed.

I didn't know Frank/Ross were the main VPro Tuners in the US... always thought it was SP or HKS direct?

Lets hope the work picks up and the car gets funded! I feel you on the monthly bills thing - I also got me a wifey that doesn't stop about my car habit!
Old 04-23-09, 02:32 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

You do know you can have an actual HKS tuner do your stuff right? They tuned my last car for me - just isn't cheap but performance and output was exactly what I wanted and needed.

I didn't know Frank/Ross were the main VPro Tuners in the US... always thought it was SP or HKS direct?

Lets hope the work picks up and the car gets funded! I feel you on the monthly bills thing - I also got me a wifey that doesn't stop about my car habit!
Well I'm only giving what frank gave me. From him the HKS drift cars get tuned at boso. With that said I'm sure its not a ground up tune, thats probably a corrective tune for X reason before an event.

yeah i need to get the car funded. I was supposed to drive the old teal DRFT FD3S at a event over in Las Vegas this weekend but i guess its falling threw. Sucks... the FD is my all time favorite car. I've already owned one before and will own another one shortly once business picks back up.
Old 04-27-09, 11:44 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

little update i haven't taken pics of the progress yet. i took off the yaw sensor, and both front ABS/speed sensors. hammered out the front two fenders(not too crazy), hammered the front inner fenders, cut the dash to fit, drilled holes the front stock towers to make room for the upper control arms, i had to pull part my painless switch panel b/c the it was too wide to fit into the opening in the dash so i'm going to do a custom CF panel and cut it to fit the switches.

Also the car is getting a little outside help and I'm going to pick up a new engine package Thursday but will have to stay under wraps so when it starts going in i'll take pics but wont be able to show progress until the Las Vegas Formula drift event.

That means the 6 spd is going up for sale and the engine set complete with the auto tranny wiring harness and turbo kit. I'm getting pretty hyped. Saturday's event and a late night phone call got me back into the swing. Hopefully i'll get it back running within six weeks
Old 04-28-09, 10:41 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to hear things are looking up! I'm looking forward to seeing this finished and in action.
Old 04-28-09, 11:31 AM
CleanS14
Lead Lap

Also the car is getting a little outside help and I'm going to pick up a new engine package Thursday but will have to stay under wraps so when it starts going in i'll take pics but wont be able to show progress until the Las Vegas Formula drift event.
Do I smell LS?... I'm making a kit for this right now should be ready and in production in July
Old 04-28-09, 03:55 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.. exciting stuff man, if you are dumping the 2jz with a t78 and all those plans.. i'm thinking not LS1, but higher on the food chain.. LS6/7??

i cant wait til FD roadatlanta in two weeks.. i LOVE walking thru the pits and checking out the fab work, and i'm driving in an ATL local event the day after, so hopefully some pro guys will be showing up too.
Old 04-28-09, 03:59 PM
CleanS14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Epik
wow.. exciting stuff man, if you are dumping the 2jz with a t78 and all those plans.. i'm thinking not LS1, but higher on the food chain.. LS6/7??
This sounds awesome! My car should be done in July... DGR Fabrication is making a kit for the LS swap should be sick!
Old 04-28-09, 05:28 PM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Epik

i cant wait til FD roadatlanta in two weeks.. i LOVE walking thru the pits and checking out the fab work, and i'm driving in an ATL local event the day after, so hopefully some pro guys will be showing up too.

u'll like it.. some of the fab work is crazy and slightly illegal... got to keep the sponsors happy. I got so many ideas from the cars. My favorite car is Miki's Hankook RX7 its just sick.
Old 04-28-09, 11:45 PM
status....
Lead Lap

everytime i pop into this thread its always got something new going on. i'm kinda sad to see you not run the 2j with the v160 but cant wait to see what power plant your going with now.
Old 04-29-09, 08:30 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need more pics!
Old 04-29-09, 12:11 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u'll like it.. some of the fab work is crazy and slightly illegal... got to keep the sponsors happy. I got so many ideas from the cars. My favorite car is Miki's Hankook RX7 its just sick.
illegal is just in your interpretation of the rulebook

if the car is done are you going to run in the pro-am before FDLV to get a provisional to compete? I wanted so bad to run in the wednesday pro-am at roadatlanta, but i cant get down there for it.

you need to get the GS out there to represent. unfortunately Orido didnt impress a lot of people last yr at FDLV.. not like I know he could have.

good luck and keep breaking ground.. glued to the screen for updates

Quick Reply: GS4 track car build gets underway, 2jz, V160