Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What are some tips in improving hp after having exhaust and intake installed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 04:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaugster
Hey all, you can go to UNICHIPs website and request that they support the ISx50's. Just do a search for your car on the site and it will bring you to a screen to make a request. They only trick is they don't have a Lexus selection but the IS250 and IS350 are listed under Toyota.

www.unichip.us

It might not do much for a NA car but....

I think Gernby saw like 7 hp from his custom made piggyback... (which will need to be tapped into the O2 sensors if you don't want the ECU to tune out the changes after 50 miles).

Hardly worth it IMHO, but there's folks who spend $1200 on an axle-back exhaust to add 7 hp, so maybe somebody'll buy it if they actually made it for this car.
Old 02-02-09, 10:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Hardly worth it IMHO, but there's folks who spend $1200 on an axle-back exhaust to add 7 hp, so maybe somebody'll buy it if they actually made it for this car.
Isn't that really seeking a cool look and louder sound (axle back exhaust)?
Old 02-02-09, 11:02 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nitrous is still the best bang for the bucks...stop wasting money on F-sport stuff and expect tons of HP gain from it, not gonna happen.
Old 02-03-09, 12:35 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

easiest and cheepest way to gain some performace, lose some weight, in the car, around your belly...

expensive way, make a mold of your doors and make some CF ones, carbon fiber rims, pull the motor and drop in a 2JZ...
Old 02-03-09, 04:11 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

I think Gernby saw like 7 hp from his custom made piggyback... (which will need to be tapped into the O2 sensors if you don't want the ECU to tune out the changes after 50 miles).

Actually, I think that was Jeremy with the NOS but Gremby had his own one too. Not all piggybacks are created equal and none to date were purpose built for the 2nd Gen IS. So am still hopeful that something can be done to complement the intake and exhaust mods that are available.

My point is that if enough people put in a request to UNICHIP then maybe they will make something that works.
Old 02-03-09, 07:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, I think that was Jeremy with the NOS but Gremby had his own one too. Not all piggybacks are created equal and none to date were purpose built for the 2nd Gen IS. So am still hopeful that something can be done to complement the intake and exhaust mods that are available.

My point is that if enough people put in a request to UNICHIP then maybe they will make something that works.
Uh, where did I say anything about NOS?

And Jeremy used an AFC.

Gernby had his own piggyback, custom made by him, for his car.

There's simply not much to gain from this. That's partly why he never bothered developing his into something to sell (which was his original plan)
Old 02-03-09, 10:41 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think MHP is coming out with a ECU tune for the IS350

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-03-09 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 10:52 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get rid of weight in the car that will help.
Old 02-03-09, 10:53 PM
350forMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by juice14
I think MHP is coming out with a ECU tune for the IS350
will this MHP ecu tune work on USA cars and will it allow for better gains using a supercharger?

also where did you get this info from and do you have any links? i want to read up more on this. thanks bud
Old 02-04-09, 06:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 350forMe
will this MHP ecu tune work on USA cars and will it allow for better gains using a supercharger?

also where did you get this info from and do you have any links? i want to read up more on this. thanks bud
The 350 tune is mentioned a few times in the thread for the IS-F tune, and yes it's for US cars.

On the IS-F gains below 5500 rpms peaked at about 5 horsepower for that price.

5500-6500 they had gains in the 12-20 hp range.

So I wouldn't hold your breath for this being any miracle improvement on the IS350, especially for the cost....the tuner expects 12-15 hp from the 350...so it's another "If you really wanna pay over $100 per horsepower you can" kind of deal.

Cost is $3900 for IS-F, $2850 for IS350... that's for ECU and TCU.

There's a group buy right now-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-for-is-f.html

ECU only for the 350 is $1400, or $2350 for both on the group buy.

AFAIK no 350 has had it done or tested yet, but at least one IS-F has.
Old 02-04-09, 04:13 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Uh, where did I say anything about NOS?

And Jeremy used an AFC.

Gernby had his own piggyback, custom made by him, for his car.

There's simply not much to gain from this. That's partly why he never bothered developing his into something to sell (which was his original plan)
You did not say anything about NOS but Jeremy's car, who claimed 7hp with AFC, which is a piggyback, is most famous for installing NOS on the IS350. That's all.

True that all current piggyback have not made much HP but like I stated, none have been purpose build for the 2nd Gen ISx50 - Gremby included (no offense).
Old 02-04-09, 05:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You did not say anything about NOS but Jeremy's car, who claimed 7hp with AFC, which is a piggyback, is most famous for installing NOS on the IS350. That's all.

True that all current piggyback have not made much HP but like I stated, none have been purpose build for the 2nd Gen ISx50 - Gremby included (no offense).
All a piggyback can do is lie to the ECU about stuff... there's not much custom to it.

You can lie about things like IAT (bad- and what the cheap crap on ebay does)

or you can lie about what the MAF sees to lean the tune out a bit (generally good, since the factory tune tends to be rich to be safer); and that's what Gernbys did, and was surely specific to the IS350 or he'd risk blowing his motor from running too lean

I'm not sure what else you think a piggyback would do that'd be special on the 2IS.

To my knowledge no piggyback will be able to do much for timing on the IS350...

and if you want even the MAF lies to stick you'll need to tap the O2 sensor info from somewhere unless you -only- want it to work at WOT (where the car goes into open loop mode anyway).... which you can do (and it's what Gernbys did, it didn't kick in till 90% throttle) but then, again, you're looking at just leaning the fuel a bit and making maybe 7 hp or so.

And really, if an AFC can give ya 7 hp, and a full multi-thousand buck ECU retune will maybe give you 15... there's not much in between really.
Old 02-04-09, 07:58 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow missed this... I got 6hp from the SAFC. @50hp from Nos.. You really can't do much with the fuel. Any cheap A/F converter will help lean it out a bit. Thats what I did. The other power MHP is going to make will be from timing Adv. But what I want to see is what happens on a hot summer day. I thinking knock and less Hp than stock until you reset the ECU. MHP claims @ 200 miles to relearn also. I'm supposed to be the tester IS350 for them, but haven't decided yet. I also want to be able to run nitrous still and with all the timing Adv. I don't think I'll be able to.
Old 02-05-09, 04:33 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

I guess it depends on everyone's definition of a piggyback is.

The one that comes to my mind is the AEM FIC. It reads the various sensors and directly drives the fuel injectors for a multiport setup. So it can add or remove fuel. It can only retard the timing which would be a boost feature. It also can trim the A/F sensors and O2 sensors in order to maintain the "tune". I would like to see a similar piggyback for Direct Injection.

I would like to be able to richen the A/F mixture in the mid range RPMs to hopfully ad some hp/tq.

But the FIC can't drive direct injectors from what I have read. So we have to wait...........
Old 02-08-09, 07:29 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Hey guys. This may seem very stupid of me to ask but I researched as many hp increase possibilities I could find for a cheap price.

I need some feedback from these chips offered in Ebay.
This one is a chip you install to have better mileage, hp, and torque. It sounds very promising with their warranty and etc. Do you guys think it can improve a tad bit oh hp?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-PER...3A1|240%3A1318

Another one is this tricky looking air twister or something.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...3A1|240%3A1318

Do you guys think this may help in any way instead of damaging the vehicle?

Lastly the grand finale, this universal turbo...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO...3A1|240%3A1318

Any thoughts if it is even possible to do?

Last edited by DaKi3241; 02-08-09 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: What are some tips in improving hp after having exhaust and intake installed?