Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

alright guys i decided to go turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09 | 11:06 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by orlando628
maybe lol. imma try to get the piggyback to work either way not wry about the turbo now oncei have the computer working i'll post the pic i already have the company working on my wire harness
You're paying a company to make a wiring harness for a device that is explicitly incapable of working with your car?

Hmm.... Could I possibly interest you in this nice bridge I'm selling?
Old 02-13-09 | 11:33 AM
Electric
Pole Position

Putting money into a supercharger or turbocharger is a huge waste of money. First off, it is going to be a huge headache since there are no legit bolt-on kits. Secondly, its going to add modest power at best since the motor is such high compression and because of the limited tuning capabilities. Lastly, its going to cost so many thousands of dollars and time it is just ridiculous. 6-10 grand for 50-60hp? Really? You can just buy a nicer faster more expensive car with that money. You want a faster car, your options are to buy a faster car. Perhaps a 335i, which are easy to mod and make faster. Not an IS Lexus.
Old 02-13-09 | 11:45 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

this entire thread reminds me of member named "frank" i think he claimed he had a turbo is250. he was in socal he then went to dyno it and it failed he never posted pics or came back on the forum after he was flamed to death lol. i don't know if any of you remember him? anyways to the op are you putting the turbo on a 250 or 350? by the way pictures speak louder then words
Old 02-13-09 | 11:46 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suicidesam
this entire thread reminds me of member named "frank" i think he claimed he had a turbo is250. he was in socal he then went to dyno it and it failed he never posted pics or came back on the forum after he was flamed to death lol. i don't know if any of you remember him? anyways to the op are you putting the turbo on a 250 or 350? by the way pictures speak louder then words
yep it was him...foo was bsing all day and roasted on all day
Old 02-13-09 | 01:06 PM
orlando628
Pole Position

na chill im not going be like that guy since i cant turbo it just wanna try to tune it. couple of guys did it already but one of them made their own controller so it not impossible to tune the car if you know what your doing
Old 02-13-09 | 06:49 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're paying a company to make a wiring harness for a device that is explicitly incapable of working with your car?

Hmm.... Could I possibly interest you in this nice bridge I'm selling?
Well - this isn't quite the truth. The AEM FIC can tweak the MAF sensor and monitor the Cam/Crank signals. So it can function like the lesser piggybacks but has the ability to tweak the A/F sensor so that the OEM ECU does not de-tune itself. You just don't use its port injector driving ability.

What it can't do is drive the Direct Injectors. You have to have this function to supply enough fuel under boost as well as to cool the combustion chamber. MAF tweaks can only go so far.
Old 02-13-09 | 07:19 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kurtz
That was originally posted a while ago... and still nobody seems to know anything about what they did.

They only got 141 hp stock, which is insanely low (should be more like 170-175)

Then they made 248 hp on boost.

It's simply impossible to add 107 hp on the amount of boost the stock engine could handle. You'd have be running like 12-13 pounds minimum.

Now, if you assume they just found an uber-low dyno run for "stock" to make their results look better, now they're adding more like 75 hp... which they might be able to manage with something like 8-9 lbs of boost and a thicker HG and/or alky/meth/water injection.

But if you're expecting a simple bolt-on kit for a couple grand to add that power, I've got a nice bridge to sell you.

It's gonna cost, minimum, 2-3 times the cost of just adding 102 hp by trading a 250 in for a 350.

(assuming it ever goes on sale)
Yes, I know because I was the original poster of the project. They have not sent me an update yet so I might shoot them another email soon just to check in.

My best estimate for about 100hp at the wheel would be 9psi but we are not in a position to claim or disclaim a SC kit from a company that no one has heard of in a country that no one here as ever been too.

A direct injection engine with 12:1 compression behaves like a multi port engine at 10:1 as far as detonation goes. So I don’t think it’s that big of an issue once you get into the details. The IC must be top notch though to keep a air charge cool while being compressed. Which may explain why RGM used a Air-to-Liquid type instead of the more common Air-to-Air.

I do agree that this setup looks to be major $$$$$. Maybe we could get a good deal if the currency exchange rates are in our favor if this thing ever goes up for sale.
Old 02-14-09 | 05:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Having owned an MPI engine with a 10.5:1 CR, and a supercharger kit for it, even 9 lbs is pushing it with just an intercooler and no other sorta of injection system... I suppose if they've got like 98-100 octane fuel like you can get some places and they can do something to make the ECU actually use it (like TOMs does) you could get by
but I'm basing needing 12 lbs boost to gain 100 hp on the fact that running 5.8 lbs (the toms kit) has shown to only add about 50 hp. Seems unlikely 50% more boost would add 100% more hp.
Old 02-15-09 | 07:18 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

haha, it's cousin-in-law.. not cousin law...

also, best of luck..i hope you have all the luck in the world, and i mean it.

I want a twin turbo is350 before i die... and i'm 20.
Old 02-16-09 | 04:02 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Money talks bullsht walks! Plain and simple.
Old 02-16-09 | 04:52 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

LOL Orlando i cant believe i read through these 3 pages... stop wasting your time man and when you type, preview your post LOL
Old 02-16-09 | 07:06 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

LOL!!! 8 pounds!

1. what are you going to do for fuel management?
2. are you planning on working on your internals (cuz the stock internals deff. aren't up for 8psi)
3. engine management.. good luck finding one, or having someone produce one...

4. if you're interested in a S/C kit similar to the one LMS had... PM me, I happen to know of a future vendor on this forum, who might be able to get there hands on a kit for you so you can

If you think its easy to turbo this car... ask yourself the simple question as to why some of the most reputable companies haven't done so yet?

its not so simple even though we all wish it was! the amount of money you would have to pay to properly boost this motor without a S/C... would be way to much...

you're better off going with a 2JZ swap & having it done the right way, the numbers would be around the same ball park!
Old 02-16-09 | 07:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

suicidesam, funny but please exit this thread. Those types of images (which I removed) and rude commentary aren't the type of community we try foster on our forum.

Give this guy some straight advice and caveats on the pitfalls and problems he's likely to encounter.
Old 02-16-09 | 07:43 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Give this guy some straight advice and caveats on the pitfalls and problems he's likely to encounter.
assuming this guy is legit and is really trying to go turbo on his 2is (and that's a BIG assumption to make), he'll have a whole laundry list of pitfalls and problems.

he's not the first one to say that he'll try, but of those who have said that they will try, how many of them have actually done it? and it's not like there's a plethora of 2is turbo kits floating around out there.

if anything, this guy's just trying to stir up attention.
Old 02-18-09 | 05:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

you can to turbo the car just like you can S/C it

You are just limited to the amt of boost you can run and its going to be full custom. Anyone that is willing to spend the $$ on any of the S/C kits could go full custom Turbo for the same amount. Like John said $$ talks and BS walks....

Quick Reply: alright guys i decided to go turbo