Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dyno Result (01 GS430): SRT intake w/Race ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 03:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
as far as SRT pipe with neo:

stock intake: 2.75"

SRT pipe: 3.5 (?)"

therefore a 27% increase in pipe diameter, thus 27% increase in air volume, add 27% fuel, and you will be good.
That would be the case if the car was computer-less, but we know that's not the case.
Originally Posted by Bliggity
So we removed the SRT ecu and left the srt intake pipe on the car. Hooked up the Apexi NEO and checked it out to see if it was hooked up right. Tested the throttle position and that checked out, adjusted the low throttle fuel at idle and that worked as well. We started the dyno tuning, trying to get a 13.0% air/fuel ratio. As we progressed we started to get the ratio somewhat close then the NEO seemed to not be adjusting like it did in the get go. We were greatly changing the fuel percentage and the air/fuel ratio seemed to not be affected, unlike when we first started tuning it seemed to adjust perfectly. We decided to stop and let the car cool down and try again, no luck with that. When running the car we tried everything from slowly getting the car to 3rd and 4th gear to running it hard through the gears with no luck. What do you guys think the issue could be? We double checked the wires and everything is hooked up correctly.
So for other people who want to give this a shot, beware.
However; I think there is a way to make it work, but it will take some ingenuity, a lot of dyno time and if you don't know how to tune, it will take lots of money for a tuner. And we still don't know how much of an improvement this will actually be over the race SRT ECU.
But after talking to Bliggity and the issues he was having, I came to the conclusion there is power to gain if you can succefully mate the SRT pipe with a adjustable fuel controller because the fuel ratio SRT runs is still too lean for optimal performence.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 02-21-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-22-09, 02:15 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Would forgetting to turn off the VSC affect the result? It shouldn't but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-23-09, 11:00 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For everyone making judgements, this thread is worthless as a performance gain measurment without a basline dyno, period. Let alone the fact that there is no A/F reading for the run so there is no way to know if something is wrong.

Comparing the performance gained with the Srt intake to the performance of the stock intake without a baseline is equivelent to comparing the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns.

Somewhat off-topic, but the idea of running an Srt ecu in series with an AFC is alarming. You would be adding a variable voltage regulator to a fixed voltage regulator. Just get rid of the Srt ecu and tune the AFC for the map you want, having both in series is just redundancy.

Btw, before you start adding fuel to the mixture to "make more power", you do realize that running an engine on the lean side will make more power than running it rich.

Last edited by macd7919; 02-23-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 12:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

that number is way too low.. i guess i will have to do a basline and srt on the same day.

as i whined way before the dyno...after installing the srt, everything seemed under powered...yes it ''felt'' that way.

Originally Posted by macd7919
For everyone making judgements, this thread is worthless as a performance gain measurment without a basline dyno, period. Let alone the fact that there is no A/F reading for the run so there is no way to know if something is wrong.

Comparing the performance gained with the Srt intake to the performance of the stock intake without a baseline is equivelent to comparing the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns.

Somewhat off-topic, but the idea of running an Srt ecu in series with an AFC is alarming. You would be adding a variable voltage regulator to a fixed voltage regulator. Just get rid of the Srt ecu and tune the AFC for the map you want, having both in series is just redundancy.

Btw, before you start adding fuel to the mixture to "make more power", you do realize that running an engine on the lean side will make more power than running it rich.
Old 02-23-09, 01:01 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SRT/ECU is a BIG waste of money.......I've said it before and I will continue to say it. You can dyno before and after all you want with this intake.....I did real world results at the track. Save your money .......does nothing but give you a little visual ego boost when you look at your minimal gain on the dyno sheet and empties your wallet.
Old 02-23-09, 01:21 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
that number is way too low.. i guess i will have to do a basline and srt on the same day.

as i whined way before the dyno...after installing the srt, everything seemed under powered...yes it ''felt'' that way.
I'm not denying the fact that it felt that way to you. More what I was getting at was:

1. If you lost power from stock then you would know there was something definitely wrong but we can't tell that without have a baseline run from the same dyno on the same day.

2. If you had an A/F readout that would help determine if you were having a fueling issue etc.... and would also help to determine if something in the Srt ecu programming was off or if it was a problem with the stock intake as well. For instance, with the stock intake if you dynoed at the lower end of the numbers mentioned previously, say 225hp, then dynoed at 234hp you still gained basically 10whp which is a hp increase of almost 5% which is still a nice power bump. If it turned out you had abnormally low numbers with the stock intake then you know that something else is causing the issues with low power. For instance, if you have a weak coil then it may not be able to handle igniting the mixture with the additional airflow of the Srt intake which would cause you to not see the gains you were hoping for. Again, this is just theoretically what *could* be the issue but the point is you need to have a good control before you start any testing, once you have that we can help you eliminate potential issues.

3. I'm sure you have heard this before but double and triple check your connections. They MUST be soldered, if you have a intermittent connection that could be causing the poor performance/sluggish feeling.

4. What kind of Dyno did you run your car on? It is not uncommon for Mustang Dyno's to read considerably lower than DynoJet dyno's (which most people use). If you happen to have been on a Mustang dyno, those numbers 234hp and 250tq would be approx 258hp and 275tq on a DynoJet.

Last edited by macd7919; 02-23-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 01:46 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

A few things. I did not solder the connections. I also noticed one of the fuel injector looked brown (could be something wrong there). I will wait after I install my headers and baseline it with that and with SRT.
Old 02-23-09, 02:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

A few things. I did not solder the connections. I also noticed one of the fuel injector looked brown (could be something wrong there). I will wait after I install my headers and baseline it with that and with SRT.
Any idea what kind of dyno it was? That could be your low number reading right there.
Old 02-23-09, 02:07 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I have no Idea. Is there any clue that I can look into? All I know it's old with large rollers. It's not in the ground. Called the guy up...he said dynojet.
Old 06-02-09, 01:16 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Default dyno sheet

This is my dyno result with SRT intake w/race ecu. I drove around for a couple of hours before I went to make my dyno appointment.

Dyno Result (01 GS430):  SRT intake w/Race ECU-dyno.jpg
Old 06-02-09, 09:38 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sam,

Did you ever get/install your headers?

Back to the original issue:

The above dyno sheet is the only one you did and it was in February, correct?

The SRT intake is designed to create a larger mass air flow meter (MAF). The rest of the setup creates a different (not necessarily better) air filter and a different/larger (not necessarily better) pipe to the throttle body.

The main point being the MAF as it utilizes the stock MAF element in a larger pipe. Unless there are changes to the ECU this will make the engine run way too lean. Stock engines are typically programmed to run rich since this is safer than lean. The SRT creates a lean condition that must be corrected. Now, you do not want it to be as rich as factory as that is "free" power especially if you are running 93 octane fuel. Since Calif has only 91 (if that) octane if the SRT leaves things too lean it will trigger the knock sensors. Those will tell the ECU to reduce ignition timing and that will lower power.

Without testing to know what the fuel ratio and timing really are we are just guessing. That said a properly working SRT intake will make the car feel somewhat sluggish at lower RPMs. Combine that with potentially too lean and pulled timing and your experience of a power loss is probable.

This does not make the SRT a bad part just that it must be calibrated properly for the fuel octane available. Not sure if they have those maps or not. Some have had good results with a K&N or other intake that keeps the stock MAF size and therefore will not need any ECU adjustments to run. That said the factory piping is engineered and works pretty well.

Some have had good results with a tuning device. Others report the ECU eventually compensates and pulls out the gains.

There is more than simple worked/didnt work going on here. Most mods are a trade off. For what its worth, from a pure performance standpoint, there are no tradeoffs with the headers.
Old 06-02-09, 10:43 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

This number is associated with the original post. I have not dyno the car after the header install... I'm waitin on getting an Apexi NEO but contemplating about waiting since the NEO has issues and need a firmware update.

Right now, I'm enjoying the SS headers it's great. The SRT intake sounds great too, it just needs to be tuned (Although I hate the way it absorbs heat). Got an LSD (MKIV to install into stock housing/gear) and put on my TTE lip... lot's of work ahead.

Reading about Glen's 400 wHP got me daydreaming about a supercharger too. LOL.

SO, nope... no new dyno numbers yet until it's tuned with a neo.
Old 06-02-09, 11:47 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This number is associated with the original post. I have not dyno the car after the header install... I'm waitin on getting an Apexi NEO but contemplating about waiting since the NEO has issues and need a firmware update.

Right now, I'm enjoying the SS headers it's great. The SRT intake sounds great too, it just needs to be tuned (Although I hate the way it absorbs heat). Got an LSD (MKIV to install into stock housing/gear) and put on my TTE lip... lot's of work ahead.

Reading about Glen's 400 wHP got me daydreaming about a supercharger too. LOL.

SO, nope... no new dyno numbers yet until it's tuned with a neo.
...wait up. There are issues with the Neo? What type of issues?
Old 06-02-09, 01:08 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...wait up. There are issues with the Neo? What type of issues?
There is a function that is not working properly... people who uses those function cannot tune their car. I don't know the specifics, since I don't have a neo to know if that function affects our car or not.

It's best to give apexi a call.
Old 06-09-09, 08:17 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will get the NEO...I just wanted to see what I get with the RACE ECU from SRT. If they would refund me...I would go with a NEO and some other intake. I'm sure they won't refund the money, so I'll keep their intake (until it becomes a nuissance). I also ordered the SS headers...that one is late too (no response to my email).
What is the NEO that youre talking about because i am very close to buying the borla axlebacks and srt intake/ecu. Also where did you order the SS headers?

Quick Reply: Dyno Result (01 GS430): SRT intake w/Race ECU