Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Import Tuner Magazine - GS400 Bolt Ons (Dyno Results Included)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 02:54 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...it's actually right on point. With an approximate 20% loss due to the drivtrain from 300hp (crank)...your right around 240whp (this article displayed 238whp).

All I know is that with the addition of the K&N FIPK intake, Torque Master plugs, Borla rear section and Apexi Neo; the GS400 will make approx 270whp. Trust me...I know from experience. Since then I added a new set of TM's, new Amsoil air filter (on the K&N intake), S&S headers and new Denso O2 sensors. I haven't made it to the dyno yet though. My previous threads on this are growing cob webs and I need to get there already and post some results!

Great article BTW to the OP!
you got that right! I hope you make the 300!
Old 02-23-09, 11:13 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam430
you got that right! I hope you make the 300!
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 02-24-09, 08:25 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soo... what does the Tanabe replace when you get the Medalion Touring. For us with the 430, do we loose that 3rd cat?

jbrady how do you feel about this setup..?

The stock is waaay to quiet. I want to hear our V8's!

Originally Posted by GSJake
Looks like they want $350 for the center pipe..
I am going with the Tanabe touring.. this comes with that section already correct??
Old 02-24-09, 12:02 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chop off resonators?
Old 02-24-09, 12:22 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
While I agree that the price is slightly high, most people don't understand how much work it goes into designing a NA header. It is much more difficult because you have to work out all of the resonance pulses and scavenging effect to properly extract the most amount of power out of the car. This is one of the few areas where cost comes into play. The other is material and runner sizes and routing.
Cost is of course based on many things but primarily volume. The Lexus V8 is a LOW volume aftermarket item.

The S&S is not designed to optimize resonant tuning. This would require long runners which cannot be packaged keeping the stock catalysts in place. The S&S was designed to provide good ONE WAY flow from the head by keeping velocity high while still alowing enough capacity for peak flow.

The S&S utilizes two thick cut flanges for the head surfaces, two thick cut flanges for the catalyst attachment and 2 oxygen sensor bosses. When you add those costs to the costs of manufacture and again add the cost of Jet Hot coating and consider HOW to make these parts with enough profit to pay your workers, overhead and enough extra to make it worth doing... it is going to be VERY unlikely to reach this for under $600 at the volume of less than 100 sets total production for the several years they have been available.

As I said, if you can build these in China with almost NO labor costs (effectively by slave labor) with material cost at rock bottom due to government subsidees... then yes, you could build these out of stainless and sell them for under $300. That said to do the same in this country would cost over $1000.

The S&S are a compromise. One that works pretty darn well. We need to remember these engines have virtually NO valve overlap so resonant tuning for valve overlap timing is not going to give much of a result. Now, with race cams the result with resonant tuning would be different.

For our applications the S&S design is a very good compromise. I would love (really) to see some testing with multiple designs to see what these engines are capable with the stock ECU. Anything past 350hp dyno (around 280rwhp) is going to be surprising.

Now, peak is one thing, mid range is another. I would rather have 270rwhp with a big fat midrange than 280rwhp and a sluggish feeling engine down in the daily driving RPMs. Heck, make that 260 vs 280 for a better feeling engine. Of course most newbeez will not take this advice... some things need to be learned the hard way. ...
Old 02-24-09, 12:27 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Soo... what does the Tanabe replace when you get the Medalion Touring. For us with the 430, do we loose that 3rd cat?

jbrady how do you feel about this setup..?

Not sure of your question. If you are asking what do I think of the system shown from Jeff on the ebay link? Nice looking parts and resonably priced. I havent hear the system so I cannot comment there. Since it is after the stock from Y pipe there will probably not be much or any loss in low end (as would happen with large pipes in the front Y section) but it is probably not going to make much power since the stock pipes flow fairly well at these power levels.
Old 02-24-09, 05:34 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh boy...we got jbrady all worked up over his headers again...

I bet uncle Dave's already hiding in the weeds...
Old 02-25-09, 06:19 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Oh boy...we got jbrady all worked up over his headers again...

I bet uncle Dave's already hiding in the weeds...
Do you have something constructive to contribute here???
Old 02-25-09, 06:33 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Sorry about the confusion..
I was asking about the Tanabe Medialion Touring exhaust. It has a section that replaces the third cat>?
What is your choice for an aftermarket exhaust solution?
Thanks,
Jake
I have not tested the Tanabe (or other brand replacement)

I am currently not recommending anything other than the stock Y pipe.

Although I get some abuse over recommending the headers... I make NO money by doing so... it just makes a real measurable and noticeable improvement especially on the 430 cars.

Everything else is about style and sound both of which are in the eye and ear of the beholder.

For power = headers

Possibly a future Y pipe option that will NOT be big diameter pipe... nothing over 2.25" and probably smaller. Stock is 1.97".
Old 02-25-09, 12:31 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah ok. Thanks jbrady.

So maybe that why the man who has some of the most extensive time tunning the 4.3 Rod Millen only sells the exhaust mufflers... just a thought.