Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosted GS for sale-impossible to find?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 03:08 PM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted GS for sale-impossible to find?

I currently have a 98 Gs400 w/intake, exauhst, 19's, etc. I want an 01-05 gs3 w/either a gte swap or NA-T setup, in blk on blk. Do you guys think I could find that? would I be better off finding a gs first? The reason I ask is that I know if I could find one I would definitley go for it and I want to save the install time/ tweaking tinkering. I don't think anyone with a FI gs would take a gs4 either so I'd probably have to get rid of my gs first. what should I expect to pay, say plus my gs4 or straight cash?

Last edited by gs400 civi; 02-24-09 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 03:12 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

No problem give me 10k and your gs and ill give you boosted gs , LOL
Old 02-24-09, 03:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Post a WTB / WTT in the vehicle classifieds forum here on CL. Better chance of finding one than most other places.... we've got 15 - 25 or so members with turbo 2nd gen GS300s
Old 02-24-09, 03:27 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeXaNoMicS
No problem give me 10k and your gs and ill give you boosted gs , LOL
Trust me you will not be able to build a proper boosted GS with that budget. Don't forget about all the engine buildup process such as new internals, machine work, turbo kit, EMS, installation.... Sure, you can put together a half-*** buildup, but that doesn't mean that it'll last.
Old 02-24-09, 03:51 PM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

are we talking about the same thing Alexus? I want to skip the initial install and down time etc. plus I think LeXaNoMicS was talking about a trade, which is what I would go for/ selling my GS, and getting a turbo GS/ swapped GS.
Old 02-24-09, 09:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer your question yes you could find them. There have been a few sold here and found on either ebay or criagslist. Not a lot but you can find with time as they pop up from time to time..
Old 02-24-09, 10:25 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would budget around 25k or so for a nice, clean, reliable setup.
Old 02-25-09, 01:16 AM
ChrisT88
Rookie

So far I have paid $11k for my car to start and have about $2,500-3,000 invested in turbo kit, tuning equipment ect. I'm probably putting down 350-370rwhp. If I were to do it over again I would probably do a few small things differently but I can't say I regret any of it! I got exactly what I wanted performance-wise. So can it be done for cheap? yes if your willing to do the work, research and take a chance on cheaper quality products. I looked at it like, if any part does show up bad I can easily replace it for less then $120 as nothing in my kit costs over $120 individually.

That said, the only thing I am honestly worried about is the transmission although I just ordered a JDM TT one for $430 shipped. We'll see what it costs me to get it mounted up now...
Old 02-25-09, 08:37 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

I based 25k on a complete setup, swapped gte single turbo with supporting mods, suspension, brakes and electronics etc...

Chris - How do you plan on mating that tranny to your car? Physically the bell housing will line up but you do realize that you are installing a 4 speed in place of a factory ecu controlled 5 speed.

Just wondering how you plan on controlling it. Fwiw, you are going to need the shift linkage from an Aristo, the Gs one doesn't work. You will also need to plan for the output of the trans meeting the Gs driveshaft as the don't line up correctly and the Gs propeller won't fit on the Supra output shaft.

Last edited by macd7919; 02-25-09 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-25-09, 08:48 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
Just wondering how you plan on controlling it. Fwiw, you are going to need the shift linkage from an Aristo, the Gs one doesn't work.
It's not as cost effective if you don't have all the Aristo parts in hand and ready to bolt in, but can be done.

1. It can be driven by an AEM EMS standalone or any other system that has enough outputs to drive a tranny. Either that or swap in a JDM ecu into the car...those are your 2 choices.

2. Modify GS shift linkage or buy the aristo one. Modifying is easy, just cut or extend to length and tig weld it together.

3. Mix and match the output flanges with the stock GS ones. Or have a driveshaft shop custom build one.

PS: If you go with the EMS, make sure to install relays on the higher load solenoids such as TC lockup. The AEM output drivers don't have enough power to provide a stable lockup at times.
Old 02-25-09, 09:51 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's not as cost effective if you don't have all the Aristo parts in hand and ready to bolt in, but can be done.

1. It can be driven by an AEM EMS standalone or any other system that has enough outputs to drive a tranny. Either that or swap in a JDM ecu into the car...those are your 2 choices.

2. Modify GS shift linkage or buy the aristo one. Modifying is easy, just cut or extend to length and tig weld it together.

3. Mix and match the output flanges with the stock GS ones. Or have a driveshaft shop custom build one.

PS: If you go with the EMS, make sure to install relays on the higher load solenoids such as TC lockup. The AEM output drivers don't have enough power to provide a stable lockup at times.
I know you can drive the tranny with an Aem but if I remember correctly Chris is on a budget setup as mentioned earlier in this thread as well as spraying meth instead of a fuel system. So, if you figure in the price of the trans, an aem and misc parts he might as well have had a proper build done on his 5spd so I really doubt that's the avenue he was planning on taking.

Are you suggesting swapping in a Jdm Gte ecu? I haven't done it myself but:

A) IF it did plug in it's not going to run correctly anyways so you would just be trading one problem for another. Not to mention those ecu's are quite difficult to find in good shape seperate from a swap and would just add another couple hundred dollars to the cost of the project.

B) Technically you could wire in the ecu seperately but that's a major pita, and again, finding the ecu/cost will be a factor.

Secondly, I wasn't implying the misc parts aren't available, just that they are things that are going to need to be sourced.

Also, you can't mix and match the output flanges, the output shaft is a different diameter than the Gs trans. The change needs to be made on the driveshaft side. I would just try and source a TT shaft and yank the front half, that will most likely be cheaper and more reliable than a custom shaft.

If you add it all up your talking $2000 + Aem tuning to get a stock supra trans into the car which is only good up to 450whp anyways. To each his own I guess, I thought there was a recent thread on this (posted by Chris, hence why I was wondering what he planned on doing with it after the information provided in the previous thread) maybe not.

Last edited by macd7919; 02-25-09 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-25-09, 10:32 AM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

what about a 6 speed? has someone done that yet in a gs300?
Old 02-25-09, 11:22 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Trust me you will not be able to build a proper boosted GS with that budget. Don't forget about all the engine buildup process such as new internals, machine work, turbo kit, EMS, installation.... Sure, you can put together a half-*** buildup, but that doesn't mean that it'll last.
$3500 for a 98+ 2jzvvti then you have 6500 for install left, use the auto trans and ecu it came with. looks like you can doesnt it ? he didnt say how much power it had to have.
Old 02-25-09, 11:45 AM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

$3500 for a 98+ 2jzvvti? where?
Old 02-25-09, 12:25 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

You can find them on Ebay, or try Venus importers etc....Thats *about* average for just the motor.

Quick Reply: Boosted GS for sale-impossible to find?