Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mtparker18's turbo build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 06:30 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
props for being in HS and having a daily driver and doing a turbo build, obviously you are doing something right
Haha, thanks man. I've worked with my dad since I was little and saved up my money as much as I could. Got me to where I am today
Old 02-26-09, 06:33 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Also. Lets say I just buy marks kit, and the piping. Can I just bolt it up now and add everything later (hg, fuel, etc.)?
What kind of gain would I get with like 6 psi?

EDIT: Also, I talked to Mark and he told me all I need to get to 400 is his kit, FMIC piping kit, NA-T Gasket set, Injectors (7mGTE $40 used) (resistor pack = $100) and MAPECU 1 or 2.
Would this really get me to 400?

Last edited by mtparker18; 02-26-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 04:22 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

UPDATE ON FIRST page
Old 03-05-09, 04:30 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MT, as far as other stuff you'll need, you can get almost all of it from mark:

oil line kit (-4an feed and -10an return)
function7 oil fittings (total of about 30 bucks on ebay for both)
Get mark's electronic boost controller/gauge turbo timer combo (200 bucks)
get mark's SS valve body rods (75 bucks)
get mark's full gasket/seal kit (248 shipped for EVERY gasket/seal)
get a B&M trans cooler (shame you missed mine, but you can get them for around 75 online)
fuel pressure regulator (aeromotive is 130 or so)
Wideband (exitspeed on na-t is selling one for 200 bucks right now brand new)

I was going to run a boost, trans temp, and the wideband gauge. That's a pretty good setup.

that's everything i can think of off the top of my head that i was still needing to buy.
Old 03-05-09, 05:29 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
MT, as far as other stuff you'll need, you can get almost all of it from mark:

oil line kit (-4an feed and -10an return)
function7 oil fittings (total of about 30 bucks on ebay for both)
Get mark's electronic boost controller/gauge turbo timer combo (200 bucks)
get mark's SS valve body rods (75 bucks)
get mark's full gasket/seal kit (248 shipped for EVERY gasket/seal)
get a B&M trans cooler (shame you missed mine, but you can get them for around 75 online)
fuel pressure regulator (aeromotive is 130 or so)
Wideband (exitspeed on na-t is selling one for 200 bucks right now brand new)

I was going to run a boost, trans temp, and the wideband gauge. That's a pretty good setup.

that's everything i can think of off the top of my head that i was still needing to buy.

Thanks man.
Heres another question. as far as boost controller and gauges, will the controller fit in the ashtray and could i put the gauges in the glovebox where the channger was?
Old 03-05-09, 05:34 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Thanks man.
Heres another question. as far as boost controller and gauges, will the controller fit in the ashtray and could i put the gauges in the glovebox where the channger was?
i would think the controller would fit, but itd be a PITA to wire/plumb in there with your boost line. The gauges would definitely fit where the changer was if you made up a little piece of plywood with the holes cutout and carpeted it or other similar mounting piece.
Old 03-05-09, 05:41 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
i would think the controller would fit, but itd be a PITA to wire/plumb in there with your boost line. The gauges would definitely fit where the changer was if you made up a little piece of plywood with the holes cutout and carpeted it or other similar mounting piece.
Thanks. I was just wondering because I didn't want to have to take apart more than what I needed to
Old 03-05-09, 06:59 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What i did with my gauges was tore out the ash tray (except for the trim around the unit itself) and put a universal dual gauge pod from glowshift...looks pretty good IMO, ill post up pics sometime if your interested. i also have both driver and passenger 3 gauge pillar pods...lol so yea i have 8 gauges...looks cool at night any more and you think i'd be driving a civic! lol
Old 03-05-09, 07:08 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
What i did with my gauges was tore out the ash tray (except for the trim around the unit itself) and put a universal dual gauge pod from glowshift...looks pretty good IMO, ill post up pics sometime if your interested. i also have both driver and passenger 3 gauge pillar pods...lol so yea i have 8 gauges...looks cool at night any more and you think i'd be driving a civic! lol
ahah, nice bro. be sure to pm me pics of the ashtray one for sure
Old 03-05-09, 08:08 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Now for new questions.

1). What are pros and cons to electronic boost controllers vs. manual.
2). What all gauges would I need to get?
3). What fittings would I need and how much oil line?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I want to get it done right the first time
1.) Cons for a manual boost controller: Some fool tries to "race" you. You yell, "hold on, I gotta up the boost." You pop the hood, get outta your car and adjust the controller...

Electronic controller: Some fool tries to "race" you. You look over and smirk. Change the boost from 6 psi to 18 psi. Say, "latuh, sucka!"

I'm not promoting any kind of street racing

2.) You will definitely need a boost gauge to make sure you aren't overboosting and pinging your engine like crazy. It's also fun watching the gauge go up and down between shifts.

I highly recommend a wideband a/f to properly monitor the a/f ratio.

Also, not highly necessary but it's useful to get oil temp and possibly exhaust gas temp (EGT).
Old 03-05-09, 08:20 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jspecdan
1.) Cons for a manual boost controller: Some fool tries to "race" you. You yell, "hold on, I gotta up the boost." You pop the hood, get outta your car and adjust the controller...

Electronic controller: Some fool tries to "race" you. You look over and smirk. Change the boost from 6 psi to 18 psi. Say, "latuh, sucka!"

I'm not promoting any kind of street racing

2.) You will definitely need a boost gauge to make sure you aren't overboosting and pinging your engine like crazy. It's also fun watching the gauge go up and down between shifts.

I highly recommend a wideband a/f to properly monitor the a/f ratio.

Also, not highly necessary but it's useful to get oil temp and possibly exhaust gas temp (EGT).
Thanks. Im going to get the electronic one from turbo xs. boost controller, gauge and timer

I'm getting a wideband, thanks
Old 03-05-09, 09:10 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

I can't wait to see this done. Will it be done by carlisle?
Old 03-05-09, 09:21 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arpham
I can't wait to see this done. Will it be done by carlisle?
I hope to have it done by may. I'm going to install what I can now and run LOW boost. so it might be done by then. I'm going to try to get it in. Never been there before.
Old 03-06-09, 08:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

keep up the good work....your a motivation to the younger crowd build a nice gs so young and a motivation to the older crowd as we cant let a 17 (u r 17 arent u) year old show us up... hehe
Old 03-06-09, 09:03 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

for 400rwhp i'd say lose the fic and just get a haltech e6x or aem ems...it just your have better street manners if you understand what i'm saying....and you be able to manage when u decide to upgrade and make more boost...the only problem with marks boost controller is that it only allows u to double the wastegate spring in boost>>>so say you have a 7psi spring in your wastegate then you'll only be able to make 14psi boost max...so your high and low will suck kind of...but that controller has a boost gauge and timer built in one but its not like you'll need the timer if your using full synthetic oil anways...lol i'd also invest 80 bucks and get a oil catch can just incase! 80 bucks now might save you hundreds down the road...good luck with you fi project

Quick Reply: Mtparker18's turbo build thread