Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone have any experience with Xylene?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 09:52 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Seriously guys, why do you want to experiment with something that's not proven. Race gas is not that expensive these days. Your car will not have much improvement if you cannot control fuel and ignition timming. I surely would not risk some sort of experimentation on either of my built motor in the lexus or supra. $30k spent on two motor is alot for a one time saving of $30 for race gas.
I wouldn't say it's not "proven" so to speak, lots of people have used it and had good results. I have used it myself and noticed gains with it. If you had both items (toulene and race gas) side by side then of course race gas would be the safer choice but not everyone has race gas available to them. At the moment I'm living 60 miles from the closest available race gas, do you think I'm going to drive 120 miles round trip plus gas and two hours of my time to pick up a few gallons of race gas to have fun with, I think not.

Secondly, the fact that most people DONT have user controlled timing is only going to prevent them from doing damage. While a non-fi standard compression won't gain much it will pick up a little bit of power, especially in the summertime. As far as mpg I wouldn't use it on a regular basis as 1) it corrosive properties 2) the cost of the toulene would outway the savings in fuel. Point being, it's a decent replacement for race gas when used in moderation.
Old 03-04-09, 11:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by McDj18
The results are in! I put 4 ounces of xylene in a full tank of gas the other day. Within 15 minutes of driving, I noticed the car had a lot more pull and the throttle response was much more responsive. After talking with a Lexus mechanic, this is not something I would put in my car on every fill up, but the results are very noticeable! I think every other time should be safe. Gas mileage seems to be better too!
the ONLY problem is you dont know what type of damage IF ANY you might be doing EVEN with that 4 oz, plus i would like more conclusive info other than the always varying butt dyno :P

Originally Posted by vwynn
not really. google search it. supposibly they used it in the 70's to boost octane.. of course thats like 40 years back.
yeah and they used to use cocaine in coca-cola but that doesnt mean it was right...

all this odd stuff always makes me wonder....do people just get bored and sit around and try things...like u know all the things in nature u cant eat....u know some guy had to have eaten it and it just killed him or the pills that say take orally...hahaha people do some dumb things

Last edited by sakataj; 03-04-09 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 05:40 PM
McDj18
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sakataj;4309844]the ONLY problem is you dont know what type of damage IF ANY you might be doing EVEN with that 4 oz, plus i would like more conclusive info other than the always varying butt dyno :P

I hear ya Sakata. I spoke with a Lexus mechanic about all of this prior to putting this stuff in the gas. Although he did not recommend it (which is what any dealership will tell you), He confidently said 4 oz is not enough to do any damage to the seals in our cars. Seals are only a concern if it's really an older car. Newer car seals have to be durable for all the additives they put in gas. He said as long as it wasn't done on every fill up it shouldn't be an issue. My only concern is long term effects and whether it will affect the catalytic convertor as some people have mentioned. Overall though I am very happy with the results and will post the mileage differenced in the next few days
Old 03-04-09, 06:44 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=McDj18;4311041]
Originally Posted by sakataj
the ONLY problem is you dont know what type of damage IF ANY you might be doing EVEN with that 4 oz, plus i would like more conclusive info other than the always varying butt dyno :P

I hear ya Sakata. I spoke with a Lexus mechanic about all of this prior to putting this stuff in the gas. Although he did not recommend it (which is what any dealership will tell you), He confidently said 4 oz is not enough to do any damage to the seals in our cars. Seals are only a concern if it's really an older car. Newer car seals have to be durable for all the additives they put in gas. He said as long as it wasn't done on every fill up it shouldn't be an issue. My only concern is long term effects and whether it will affect the catalytic convertor as some people have mentioned. Overall though I am very happy with the results and will post the mileage differenced in the next few days
While I understand that the lexus mechanic said it was alright to run it once a while, is he willing to put money into fixing your car if it fails down the road or is he simply gonna charge you up the butt to repair the damage. While I have the utmost respect for a lexus mechanic, 95% of them don't know how to make power out of a car besides telling you to install new filter and exhaust. They don't know the advance fundamentals around engine management and timing. I'm willing to bet that if you strap your BPU car to a dyno and run it back to back, you're not gonna see more than 3-5 hp because your factory ECU will not let you advance timing to see the gains. It will do the oposite and retard timing. Also, if you have some change, would you mind hooking up a wideband and EGT and give me the data you get from it. I'd bet your EGT's is gonna skyrocket. In regards to seals, it doesn't matter if it's new or old. The chemical makeup of xylene and Acetone is corrosive. It is after all paint thinner. Try taking a ounce and pour it over a rubber gasket and see what will happen. The only gasket material that can withstand the harsh chemicals are Viton. But the last I check, Viton gaskets and O-rings ain't cheap.
Old 03-05-09, 01:21 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

I pulled off some used o-rings from a set of stock honda injectors, a oil pan gasket and a used valve cover gasket and have it soaked in 100% acetone. I'll let it sit there for a week in an airtight container and will report my findings.
Also remember you can buy 100% acetone packaged in a plastic container. I understand the tuning aspect of the car will be different but I'm not using acetone in the place of gas, it is like an additive in the ratio of ~1:320. Helping gas to burn more efficiently is the goal here not horsepower.
Old 03-05-09, 01:25 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While it is corrosive it's not just going to eat through a rubber seal in just a couple minutes, it takes prolonged exposure for any significant damage to occur even in pure solvent. The fact that it's being mixed at such a low ratio will dilute it to the point that it would not cause damage when used once and again every blue moon.

As far as timing goes, you are correct in saying you will only probably get 5hp on a non-fi application, however you mentioned Bpu which is generally a Supra community acronym. In the case of the supra, if you are running more boost or a single you will see a nice gain, probably in the neighborhood of 20hp or so along with quicker spool at the same boost level on a summer day. As far as increased egt's, that's not really an argument as you are promoting the use of race gas over toulene but using the same methods to gain power with race gas, your egt's on race gas will be just as high as a comparable toulene/gas mixture at any given boost level.
Old 03-05-09, 07:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

well i will be interested to look at all the info mcdj18, thanks for atleats being the guinea .... alexus and macd you both provide great information and thoughts....seems to have turned into the only semi technical post lately thats interested me (that is if im not addressing the same scenario)
Old 03-05-09, 11:34 AM
McDj18
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a great link to shed more light on this subject...

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/