Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone have any experience with Xylene?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 07:50 PM
McDj18
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experience with Xylene?

Apparently by adding 2 ounces of this stuff for every 10 gallons of gas, it can give you up to 40% better gas mileage and 15 more hp. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff and is it safe to use on our engines? Thanks
Old 02-26-09, 10:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

never heard of it but like everything that sounds to good to be true, it probably is! will google it in a sec
Old 02-26-09, 02:24 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

well, from the little i read, it looks like its just an octane booster....attach the link where you read that about it. but i can already tell you its a scam, there is nothing out their that will give you 40% better gas mileage...its just not possible, it goes against the physics of the modern internal combustion engine.
Old 02-27-09, 11:38 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Xylene and the closely related Toulene are basically paint thinners, you can find them in the painting supply aisle of your local Home Depot or Lowes. The main ingredient in Xylene and Toulene is what they put in octane boosters etc...except MUCH more concentrated. If I remember correctly they are approximately 116 octane used straight. You can easily calculate the change in octane when mixed with pump gas. 4 gallons of 93 octane with 1 gallon Xylene will give you roughly 98 octane gas. This will make a nice difference if your car is set up to benefit from higher octane fuel.

If you put it in your stock Gs, Civic, Maxima etc....you aren't going to notice anything except your wallet getting lighter and maybe a slight performance increase. If your running a boosted car with computer controlled timing you will notice a nice kick in performance from the additional timing.

While it is relatively cheap and easy to get, they are known to eat rubber so you wouldn't want to run them for an extended period of time, just on track nights etc...
Old 03-01-09, 10:01 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

knowing that itll eat rubber... wonder how long itll take for the car to use up all the octane booster in the tank?

better be safe than sorry... buy higher octane gas =p
Old 03-02-09, 08:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like one of those idea of putting acetone in a stock car, except xylene is even more dangerous. Ever seen the MSDS for xylene? It's not something you want to mess with on a daily basis.
Old 03-02-09, 01:41 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been reading about xylene and acetone although I find more people running acetone and some running a mix of acetone and xylene.
Acetone has an octane of ~150 and is added with the ratio of 2-3oz/10gallons. The right measurement has to be calculated dependant on car, fuel type etc. Basically when acetone is added to gas the gas becomes a miscible fluid that burns better. As far as seals and gaskets are concerned independent studies show no sign of deterioration because of acetone.

Fuel with ethanol in it reacts differently with acetone and some studies show no effect because the 10% ethanol that some states require by law to have in gas nullifies the properties of acetone. Shell gas claims to have no ethanol additives in their gas so that is what is recommended. I'm partial to shell because although minimal I've noticed an increase in my MPG with shell so have only run shell gas in my cars both turboed and stock. Check on the fuel additives in the gas that you guys use before anyone tries this out.

Although studies show no deterioration of seals etc I guess it depends on how old your car is and what condition it is in. Say for example. If your gas tank has built up debris, the acetone might break this up and can cause problems on your fuel delivery system. When you add synthetic oil to a high mileage car that hasn't been taken care of well and has been running regular oil during its life span. The synthetic oil has cleaning additives that might break up gunk that have probably been holding seals etc in place. Undesired results as such might be encountered with acetone.

By no means have I tested this out, nor claim to be an expert on the subject, but I have been seriously considering it. I will post my results if and when I try it, want to do a little more reading before I do. If anyone has any input good or bad regarding the subject please share your input. Below is more info regarding this.

A wiki page on acetone with explanation and some individual reports.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

A you tube video explaining acetone+gas mixture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9514DMTTTuc

A blog with different individual reports on various car models when acetone was added.
http://increasemygasmileagewithacetone.blogspot.com/
Old 03-03-09, 06:56 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

what about mothballs? remember watching somewhere if u add mothballs to your gas tank it helps
Old 03-03-09, 10:34 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
what about mothballs? remember watching somewhere if u add mothballs to your gas tank it helps
seriously hope thats a joke...
Old 03-03-09, 02:06 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read some articles where they dyno before and after using these "Octane Boosters" and there were no gains and in some cases lowered the HP#.

This is a scam just like the windmill gadget off e-bay that when installed in your intake pipe, it acts like a supercharger
Old 03-03-09, 04:40 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
seriously hope thats a joke...
not really. google search it. supposibly they used it in the 70's to boost octane.. of course thats like 40 years back.
Old 03-03-09, 08:56 PM
McDj18
Pole Position

The results are in! I put 4 ounces of xylene in a full tank of gas the other day. Within 15 minutes of driving, I noticed the car had a lot more pull and the throttle response was much more responsive. After talking with a Lexus mechanic, this is not something I would put in my car on every fill up, but the results are very noticeable! I think every other time should be safe. Gas mileage seems to be better too!
Old 03-03-09, 11:38 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

McDj18 can you log your miles and report your gas mileage? I think next time I fill up I'm going to try the acetone and I'll report my findings. I've also been reading about HHO fuel cells. These can be made at home and there have been lots of studies on it too. That would be my next project. I'll do a write up when I get to it.
Old 03-04-09, 07:59 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously guys, why do you want to experiment with something that's not proven. Race gas is not that expensive these days. Your car will not have much improvement if you cannot control fuel and ignition timming. I surely would not risk some sort of experimentation on either of my built motor in the lexus or supra. $30k spent on two motor is alot for a one time saving of $30 for race gas.
Old 03-04-09, 08:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think we can blame youtube for this. There are videos out there of people claiming to have gained X mpg with a small dosage of acetone/xylene. If it was true, everyone would be doing it by now.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experience with Xylene?