Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust tip color...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 12:09 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You buy them like that.

Fwiw - If that car is your daily driver and your turbo, most likely you are running on the rich side, your tips will be black very quickly. Not saying you can't keep them clean, they just need frequent (as in a few times a week) polishing to keep them looking new.

What you may want to look into is a high temp clearcoat you could have applied. Then the carbon etc should just wipe off instead of dulling the finish of the metal. Just something to think about.
Old 03-01-09, 04:26 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
You buy them like that.

Fwiw - If that car is your daily driver and your turbo, most likely you are running on the rich side, your tips will be black very quickly. Not saying you can't keep them clean, they just need frequent (as in a few times a week) polishing to keep them looking new.

What you may want to look into is a high temp clearcoat you could have applied. Then the carbon etc should just wipe off instead of dulling the finish of the metal. Just something to think about.
+2. My room mate has an HKS exhaust with those burnt titanium tips on his WRX. He is running no cats so yes, it does get very "blackened" easily.
Old 03-02-09, 10:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i love those tips...had one like it on my 2005 gsxr 1000
but i thought they were only in titanium i dont think you can just do that to a regular exhaust....if u can it probably wont look the same. keep in mind if u change your mind you can always undo the burnt look
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-h...aust-tips.html
Old 03-02-09, 04:56 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol....i find it funny that when i ask about the tips everyone is bashing them, but as soon as jeff says he has them, all the bashing stops...lol
Old 03-02-09, 06:23 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Different people posting, though, mang. It's not as though the others (myself included) came back and said they now are in love with them. For the record, still not my thing even if Jeff does like them.

Besides, like I said...who cares? If you like 'em, roll with 'em.

Big Mack
Old 03-02-09, 08:09 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they look cool, but might not compliment every color GS. They look good on Jeff's white GS, but probably wouldnt flow well with my green GS.
Old 03-02-09, 09:16 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It also depends on your modding style. For me it matches the theme because I go for more of a tuner/race look. Now, if you put those tips on a VIP themed car then it will look way out of place.
Old 03-03-09, 11:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
lol....i find it funny that when i ask about the tips everyone is bashing them, but as soon as jeff says he has them, all the bashing stops...lol
um i never bashed. i never changed my mind preston....i straight up said i agreed with you that i love those tips....what jeff likes or doesnt like doesnt affect my typing...!
Old 03-03-09, 02:27 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
um i never bashed. i never changed my mind preston....i straight up said i agreed with you that i love those tips....what jeff likes or doesnt like doesnt affect my typing...!
dude...seriously chill out, what makes you think i was referring to you? I wasnt, im sorry you took it that way...i would have quoted you if i was saying you changed your mind b/c jeff likes it.... and big mack, i never said anyone changed their mind about it....i was just pointing out the fact that all the there "gay", and "hideous" comments stop as soon as a highly respected member says he has them...i was just stating a fact, i thought it was funny thats all. I do agree with jeff and markgs4 that it really depends on your style and color combo, i do think it would look weird on a VIP car, or green lol. im going for tuner/race (eventually) with my car, no vip stuff at all.
Old 03-03-09, 10:18 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

fordsvt....

if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, i still dont like them, and still think they look hideous. no offense to JEFF, as i stated previously, just not my style.

For example, i LOVE black rims on my silver GS...not everyone does, and they tell me. that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i dont hold it against anybody as other people may.

Last edited by Clear2Cloz; 03-03-09 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spell
Old 03-04-09, 08:26 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, for a sec, i had to recheck whether or not i stumbled into the so cal forum.

OP, do what you like-that's what matters most. when i see those tips on cars, my first reaction is the car better have some power to back it up. in jeff's case, he has power to the ga-zillionth power under his hood! LOL

however, moving forward, if you'd like it done right, you should probably purchase an exhaust that has already been treated in the manner that exhibits the cosmetic affect you like.

also, imho, at least it wouldnt be classified as a 'cheesy' mod
Old 03-04-09, 01:12 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
dude...seriously chill out, what makes you think i was referring to you? I wasnt, im sorry you took it that way...i would have quoted you if i was saying you changed your mind b/c jeff likes it.... and big mack, i never said anyone changed their mind about it....i was just pointing out the fact that all the there "gay", and "hideous" comments stop as soon as a highly respected member says he has them...i was just stating a fact, i thought it was funny thats all. I do agree with jeff and markgs4 that it really depends on your style and color combo, i do think it would look weird on a VIP car, or green lol. im going for tuner/race (eventually) with my car, no vip stuff at all.
preston....i am chilled. (its cold here...30 outside ) i never said u singled me out i was singling myself out saying i NEVER changed my mind. jeeze even when i agree with u man....guess i cant win with you