Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RMM SC rebuilding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 08:30 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RMM SC rebuilding?

anyone rebuilt their RMM Supercharger? From my understanding it is a V2-SQ?? supercharger from vortech?? if not can someone correct me?

my supercharger seems like the bearings are out.. but im not to sure. Ill try to get a video up and running when i have time.
Old 03-01-09, 11:56 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
anyone rebuilt their RMM Supercharger? From my understanding it is a V2-SQ?? supercharger from vortech?? if not can someone correct me?

my supercharger seems like the bearings are out.. but im not to sure. Ill try to get a video up and running when i have time.

Yes it is a V2-SQ. Do you have the actual and complete RMM kit, consisting of brackets, intercooler, piping and pulleys?

It does sound like a bearing, but just off the top of my head, the two most probable bearings that could wear out, would be the Vortech or the PS pump.

Out of the two, the SC is a ball bearing versus the PS pump which is a bushing, so if the whine is coming from a bearing, then the SC bearing is probably the most suspect.

How many miles do you have on the SC, did you buy it new or used and how many miles did it have before you bought it?

How did you set the belt tension and how did you determine what tension to set it to? Premature bearing failure can happen from excessive belt tension. I would normally think the PS pump bearing would wear out first, but then there are too many variables, so we need more information from you to make a better diagnosis.
Old 03-01-09, 12:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

RMM, he bought the car with the supercharger from a previous CL member, who bought the car from someone else. It may be a bit tough to track down the original owner who installed it.

vwynn, sorry to hear about your problems
Old 03-01-09, 12:04 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, so no telling what it's been through, abuse or otherwise.

I'm thinking he should take it in to a shop that services Vortech and have them check the bearings.
Old 03-01-09, 12:32 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

thanks guys for the response..

err what if i were to build it myself?

according to the VWvortex..

"Vortech v2 internal bearings and seals:
Low Speed Side:

1 seal – Chicago Rawhide 9776

2 bearings – SKF 6205JEM
Alternatives are:
MRC 205S
Fafner 205K
F..A..G 6205.C3
BCA 205NC3
SNR 6205.J30
KOYO 6205C3

High Speed Side:

1 seal – Chicago Rawhide 6428

1 matched set bearings – SKF 7003CD/P4ADGA
Alternatives are:
MRC 103KRDS-BKE#7
Fafner 2MM9103WI DUL
F.A.G B7003CB.T.P4S.DUL
SNR 7003.CV.DU.J74
NTN 7003CT1GD2/GNP4
NSK 7003CTYDULP4

Vortech idler pulley:

Vortech Metal Idler Pulley (2 1/2")
pulley part# V4FK116-021

Internal bearing # 6001-2RSL/C3
"

are the stuff needed. It also looks like its leaking oil so i really would love to change out the O-Ring.

Powersteering sound is.. umm it makes a whining sound from what i understand. My Sc400 had a dead powersteering pump and yea sucked in air and made a distint sound that a lot of Mustangs have.

as for the SC.. it makes a gargly sound after driving it around however durring start up and warm up it sounds fine.

Last edited by vwynn; 03-01-09 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 09:28 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't try to build it your self i did and wasted 260 bucks on the rebuild kit then just ended up sending it to vortech to be rebuilt and ended up with a new one due to the damage caused by whatever it will be cheaper just to go thru vortech to begin with and i feel you on not knowing what my car has been thru what i do know is it has been blown up once on nos its been fun trying to fix this guys mess my car is also on splitsec.com when it had the nos still on it and before alot of upgrades now i have 20s and uas air bags and body kit but anyways getting off the subject the problem is once you get all the bering and seals in you cant balance the fan in the rear and if its not balanced you will through the bering out as well so again don't bother trying this you will just upset yourself for wasting time and money
Old 03-12-09, 08:18 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

hm i confirmed with my co-worker who has been using Vortech S/C. and he said the sound is normal since they arnt using helical gears i believe. the only prob now is the leak.. I think theirs a leak. since i see grime + oil on the lower end of the S/C..

will check later when i have time
Old 05-13-09, 07:32 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If this helps. I was hearing noise from my Powerdyne BD11-A head unit and sent it to http://www.superchargerupgrades.com/#vortech. They have all the parts if you want to do it yourself or you can send them the head unit for refurbishing.
Old 05-14-09, 09:26 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this whine i heard before i sent it in and the leak is from the front seal thats the one that goes out first just send it in so you don't mess up your casing rmm welded on a 90 to the supercharger and vortec does not offer a case that has that 90 so just send it in the rebuild as long as your case is good is like 350 or so well worth them doing and our is the v-2 sq which does have helical gears and is your drain clogged or pinched thats what happened to me blew out front seal
Old 01-29-21, 11:09 AM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Not to revive an old thread but I came across this while doing some more research on my S/C rebuild.
I would just like to add for the person atempting this especailly for the Vortech V2-SQ (Helical Gears) if your S/C is not severely damaged internally, Rebuilding it your self is fairly easy. Since this post there has been a fair amount of information that has surfaced on rebuilds, how to's and where and what parts to get.
Now if your not mechanically inclined by all means send in your s/c for a rebuild. If you still have one of the Vortech's V2's that originally sold with the RMM kit or one from somewhere else it's probably due for a rebuild anyway. Of course if you decide to do it your self you do it at your own risk.
For me the most difficult part was sourcing the impeller bearings. The prices for them vary but that depends on what type and what kind of material you want them to be made of and how precise do you want them to be; ABEC 7,9/ Ceramic, steel ball/ phelonic, PEEK or steel cages/ etc. IMO the "rebuild kits" that are available are a bit over priced. I dont like to over pay for stuff so I was able to find a website that builds hybrid ceramic bearings the way you want them to be for a better price.
Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tank:
firelizard (01-29-21), tmf2004 (02-01-21), Will_GS400 (01-29-21)