Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Non VVTI GE motor into a 2nd gen possible, VVTI, and management questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 05:06 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non VVTI GE motor into a 2nd gen possible, VVTI, and management questions

hey guys,
quick question for you guys. i know i can physically drop in my motor and turbo kit from my 93 SC300 into a 98 GS300 but what can i do in terms of the ECU? Since my motor is non VVTI and also OBD1, i'm assuming this is never going to pass emissions going this route.

also, since a VVTI has weaker rods, how hard is taking and putting back the motor in terms of VVTI components (i'd be installing TT rods, pistons, headgasket)? i've heard it's fairly difficult to do it correct. if so, how much would it cost to have a knowledgeable toyota mechanic install those parts and set up the VVTI parts correctly?

last question for now. since i've got a t61, i'd be looking at pushing 400-550rwhp. has anyone successfully installed the AEM unit offered by user JPI Racing as well as passed OBD2 emissions? post #23 here

any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm looking at transferring my turbo from my totaled SC300 to a GS300. tia.

fred
Old 03-21-09, 02:24 AM
DrLex
Driver

I'm confused, you are trying to have 500rwhp and pass smog at the same time?

I think you have to pick a direction. If you want to make power, which it sounds like, the smog issue is... not an issue.
Old 03-21-09, 11:21 AM
ExileLakai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
hey guys,
quick question for you guys. i know i can physically drop in my motor and turbo kit from my 93 SC300 into a 98 GS300 but what can i do in terms of the ECU? Since my motor is non VVTI and also OBD1, i'm assuming this is never going to pass emissions going this route.

also, since a VVTI has weaker rods, how hard is taking and putting back the motor in terms of VVTI components (i'd be installing TT rods, pistons, headgasket)? i've heard it's fairly difficult to do it correct. if so, how much would it cost to have a knowledgeable toyota mechanic install those parts and set up the VVTI parts correctly?

last question for now. since i've got a t61, i'd be looking at pushing 400-550rwhp. has anyone successfully installed the AEM unit offered by user JPI Racing as well as passed OBD2 emissions? post #23 here

any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm looking at transferring my turbo from my totaled SC300 to a GS300. tia.

fred
also if power is your goal why not just buy a JDM 2JZ GTE engine in you car? if you can find a USDM 2JZGTE i will produce 450 hp with the stock 550 injectors through stock MAS with the help of a upgraded fuel pump. The JDM motor only has 440's so you'll need to up grade fuel before reaching 450-500.

and like 935 said making power doesn't pass smog here in the US. In Japan however there is this movement of making big power and still passing smog but it hasn't got popular here yet. Phoenix Power a JDM shop has a 700+ SR20 motor that passes JP smog test!
Old 03-21-09, 05:55 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

maybe i didn't ask it right so let me clarify.

1. OBD1 motor can not be installed on an OBD2 car, correct?
2. how hard is it to install VVTI components back on an engine?
3. does anyone use the AEM unit offered by JPI Racing?

actually, don't worry about it cause i'm getting out of the turbo scene for now.