Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

About to pick up a 2jzgte vvti, please give some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 08:53 PM
sc400123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to pick up a 2jzgte vvti, please give some advice!

Im about to pick up a 2jzgte vvti this weekend and would like some pointers from everyone in regards to what to check for to make sure its a healthy motor. The trannny, starter, and flywheel are all separated. For starter here is what I was thinking to check:
1. Remove the cold side of the turbo to check the turbine shaft to see if there is any play.
2. Check engine oil to see if its still kind of clear, if its black then it was sit way too long or it was burning oil.
3. Check tranny fluid to see if its still red, if not then this motor has a lot of mileage.
4. Remove the valve cover if possible and check for scores on the cams...if i can see them.

I want to do a compression test, but I don't know if I hand crank the motor is enough to take some compression reading. Please advise me if the above 4 steps is ok or not worth looking or any other ideas? I want to make sure I get a healthy engine and turbo. Thank you.
Old 03-25-09, 09:20 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

you probably won't be able to check the oil or the transmission fluid, as these need to be drained before shipping. I would remove the valve covers though, you can see what condition the cams are in and if there is any coolant or sludge built up in the head. Checking the turbos for shaft play is a good idea as well. I would also perform a leakdown and/or compression test. (leakdown is more accurate) Hand cranking it won't get an accurate reading. You will have to rig the starter to a battery to get it to crank over to get accurate numbers.

Originally Posted by sc400123
Im about to pick up a 2jzgte vvti this weekend and would like some pointers from everyone in regards to what to check for to make sure its a healthy motor. The trannny, starter, and flywheel are all separated. For starter here is what I was thinking to check:
1. Remove the cold side of the turbo to check the turbine shaft to see if there is any play.
2. Check engine oil to see if its still kind of clear, if its black then it was sit way too long or it was burning oil.
3. Check tranny fluid to see if its still red, if not then this motor has a lot of mileage.
4. Remove the valve cover if possible and check for scores on the cams...if i can see them.

I want to do a compression test, but I don't know if I hand crank the motor is enough to take some compression reading. Please advise me if the above 4 steps is ok or not worth looking or any other ideas? I want to make sure I get a healthy engine and turbo. Thank you.
Old 03-27-09, 07:13 PM
GS300Jason
Rookie

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
you probably won't be able to check the oil or the transmission fluid, as these need to be drained before shipping. I would remove the valve covers though, you can see what condition the cams are in and if there is any coolant or sludge built up in the head. Checking the turbos for shaft play is a good idea as well. I would also perform a leakdown and/or compression test. (leakdown is more accurate) Hand cranking it won't get an accurate reading. You will have to rig the starter to a battery to get it to crank over to get accurate numbers.

Defiantly a leak down and compression test before you even put the motor in. Or you might be wasting your time and money.