Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need Help w/ Air Filter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 08:52 PM
dado757
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help w/ Air Filter...

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a K&N drop-in air filter to replace my old, dirty stock one... As you know, it comes in 2 pieces: filter and cage/frame around it. Also, when the filter is put into the frame, it requires sealant to be put around it to seal the crack where the filter sits in the frame.

When I put the filter in, it was a bit odd b/c the sealant does not necessarily connect the filter to the frame, and when I put it in, it was kind of shifting around a little bit, but I managed to sit the filter in the cage and get it down into its rightful position in the air-box... or so I thought!... When the filter was finally "in", it did not go in as far as my old stock one did: it was low enough for me to put the air-box cover on, but not sitting deep enough in the air-box, and the filter tends to come away from its frame a little bit, making the sealant in the top area pointless.

I put the air-box cover on and took the car out for a spin. It seemed to be running fine, no lights on, no funny noises, etc... As odd as my description and situation might be, can any of you relate to it? Do I have reason to worry or am I being a big noob baby??

Thanks for all your help in advance everyone!
Old 04-07-09, 10:04 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

That is weird..I'd heard that you have to put it together..It suppose to do the same as OEM...Are you sure they send you the right one?...I would definitely double check or give them a call..
Old 04-07-09, 11:24 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Don't put to much oil on the filter bc you will mess up you maf.
Old 04-08-09, 06:57 AM
dado757
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your responses guys. I think it is fixed. The solution is that my air-box lid is kind of spring-loaded, and so the little springs/clips on the air-box lid pushes against the cage of the air filter and presses it into place. I did not know that last night but my mechanic made me aware of this. I also called k&n and unfortunately the customer service person was a ******** who didn't know anything about the product made by the company he worked for, and on top of that he was a *****.

by the way, denut, the filter comes pre-oiled when you buy it so there is no concern for that.

thanks for your help anyways ppl!
Old 04-08-09, 12:33 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dado757
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a K&N drop-in air filter to replace my old, dirty stock one... As you know, it comes in 2 pieces: filter and cage/frame around it. Also, when the filter is put into the frame, it requires sealant to be put around it to seal the crack where the filter sits in the frame.
um dude my k&n on my gs filter was one piece....????? dunno what u got
Old 04-08-09, 04:43 PM
dado757
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
um dude my k&n on my gs filter was one piece....????? dunno what u got
lol yours is a gs4, no? mine's a gs3, probably a different filter. still weird though hehe.
Old 04-08-09, 05:13 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a gs3 that i put a k&n on. It is two pieces. I think i might have reused the factory plastic cage...can't remember. But now I have a blitz LM dry element and couldn't be happier
Old 04-09-09, 01:06 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cage is only in there to make it fit. the k&n filter is alot thinner than the stock counterpart, so the cage is in there to make sure it fits snug and doesn't move around.
Old 04-09-09, 05:26 AM
dado757
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
the cage is only in there to make it fit. the k&n filter is alot thinner than the stock counterpart, so the cage is in there to make sure it fits snug and doesn't move around.

yes you're right, pushin. it's almost a little too snug lol. luckily the airbox cover keeps the filter in position when it's on correctly.