Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does anyone know of a good tuner shop in DC/MD/VA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 08:55 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
So......now you don't need your car tuned? I'm confused with what your asking here, you have changed your mind from the original post correct?

If that's correct, how do you plan on adding the regulator? Also, I'm assuming you plan on running a 1:1 regulator, are you just hoping that you will be able to strike a happy medium between boost and fuel pressure so that the factory ecu will be happy? I'm just trying to get an idea of what your getting at.
Here's the spec list:

LMS Supercharger (SS BD11A)

Synapse Engineering fuel pressure regulator part SC004
built-in 1:1 rising rate ratio
Built in 1:1 to 12:1 FMU at 1/5
Adjustable static fuel pressure from 16-100 psi
etc.

Walbro GSS342 In-tank fuel pressure pump

Fuel return system

Dyno tuning - never said I didn't need it, I just like that without a piggyback, IMO, the system seem more reliable. It's getting tuned.
Old 04-11-09, 10:44 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the problem your going to have is that the ecu is going to be trying to run a target A/F that isn't what you want to run. In other words, your car has no idea it has a blower on it, it just wants to run whatever the factory NA target air fuel is, it's going to always be fighting whether you have a bigger pump and higher pressure or not. It's also going to fluctuate by temperature etc....(with air density) so say you get it spot on tonight, tomm when's it 90 degrees and 90% humidity (I'm from MD, don't you love the summer weather, LOL) it's going to be way out of whack.

By all means give it a try but it may not be as simple as you think. I wouldn't write off some sort of piggy back like an afc just to get you in the neighborhood of where you want to be. Also one thing to consider, IF you end up having to crank up the base pressure on the injectors, and then your running another 7psi more than that on them under boost....just remember those injectors were not designed to operate under those types of pressures continually. The GS has top feed injectors which don't get as much cooling from fuel as side feeds like a Supra for instance. Just something to jeep in mind if your base pressure needs to be set way high.

Last edited by macd7919; 04-11-09 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-11-09, 11:04 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

I think the problem your going to have is that the ecu is going to be trying to run a target A/F that isn't what you want to run. In other words, your car has no idea it has a blower on it, it just wants to run whatever the factory NA target air fuel is, it's going to always be fighting whether you have a bigger pump and higher pressure or not. It's also going to fluctuate by temperature etc....(with air density) so say you get it spot on tonight, tomm when's it 90 degrees and 90% humidity (I'm from MD, don't you love the summer weather, LOL) it's going to be way out of whack.

By all means give it a try but it may not be as simple as you think. I wouldn't write off some sort of piggy back like an afc just to get you in the neighborhood of where you want to be. Also one thing to consider, IF you end up having to crank up the base pressure on the injectors, and then your running another 7psi more than that on them under boost....just remember those injectors were not designed to operate under those types of pressures continually. The GS has top feed injectors which don't get as much cooling from fuel as side feeds like a Supra for instance. Just something to jeep in mind if your base pressure needs to be set way high.
Very well put, thanks for the feedback. IYO would you run this set up with a piggy back? The iManage is not the direction I thought I would want to go but maybe I'm a little misguided on that. Maybe go GReddy eManage?
Old 04-11-09, 12:43 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would stay away from the emanage, when it first came out a lot of the FI Lexus people tried it and could never get it working correctly as it was still a piggyback and the factory ecu would still fight it.

Two options, you could look into a Haltech F10x (Excellent for FI on Lexus) or possibly contact Mo over at SRT and see if he can build you a custom "black box" for your application, similar to what the intakes come with, if you took your car to him they could tune the "black box" on the dyno for your supercharger application and it may be a cost effective way to go (if he will do it for you). I *think* SRT is a distributor for Haltech as well and I know Mo has done a bunch of low boost Supercharger applications so he may have some good advice for you.
Old 04-11-09, 07:08 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

I would stay away from the emanage, when it first came out a lot of the FI Lexus people tried it and could never get it working correctly as it was still a piggyback and the factory ecu would still fight it.

Two options, you could look into a Haltech F10x (Excellent for FI on Lexus) or possibly contact Mo over at SRT and see if he can build you a custom "black box" for your application, similar to what the intakes come with, if you took your car to him they could tune the "black box" on the dyno for your supercharger application and it may be a cost effective way to go (if he will do it for you). I *think* SRT is a distributor for Haltech as well and I know Mo has done a bunch of low boost Supercharger applications so he may have some good advice for you.
OK, you might be over my head with this one but I thought the Haltech F10x was an engine management system opposed to a piggyback. My perception is that it would be over kill. Am I seeing things correctly?
Old 04-29-09, 06:54 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the first sign of progress from the SC build, the baseline dyno. The fellas should be done by the end of today!!!
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know of a good tuner shop in DC/MD/VA?-before-dyno.jpg  
Old 04-29-09, 08:19 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! I am happy to see that they are making some progress!
Old 04-29-09, 10:53 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Nice baseline! It is going to a slow and painful day for you .
Old 04-29-09, 12:11 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mex lex
Nice baseline! It is going to a slow and painful day for you .
I KNOW!!!

I'm trying not to call the shop and bug them but I want my supercharger!!
Old 04-29-09, 12:35 PM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart man, PFS is the place go.

I am sure Ray will take care of you nicely. However, you will have to be patient. Good luck

Later, Jose
Old 04-30-09, 07:02 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

OMG!!!!

Ray pulled it off and the results are more than I expected. Mind you, I only have suspension part so my car is stock, no Megan mid-pipe, no after market exhaust, 91 octane gas, etc. Here are the results

From 188.23/196-62 to 285.90/254.08!!!!

I'll have pictures and maybe a video over the weekend
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know of a good tuner shop in DC/MD/VA?-before-dyno.jpg  
Old 04-30-09, 08:47 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What dyno did you use to dyno your baseline with? I'm assuming that you didn't have any go faster mods on your car when you dynoed your baseline so it must've been a mustang dyno that was used because the numbers are slightly higher than what a stock GS300 dyno at. Overall, good numbers to be had. Like you, I'll be finishing up mine in the near future. Base boost will be around 9lbs and max out at 13lbs.
Old 05-01-09, 02:22 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

looks like a dynojet dyno from the print out sheet.

Zippy,
I'm surprise from your base line that is running that rich in the 12 A/F. Good HP #'s from the s/c what boost is that at and what management system did you end up going with?
Make sure to have them give you a copy or dyno run file on a disk or jump drive.
Old 05-01-09, 06:45 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
OMG!!!!

Ray pulled it off and the results are more than I expected. Mind you, I only have suspension part so my car is stock, no Megan mid-pipe, no after market exhaust, 91 octane gas, etc. Here are the results

From 188.23/196-62 to 285.90/254.08!!!!

I'll have pictures and maybe a video over the weekend
OK, so I'm an airhead s ometimes. I posted the wrong dyno. HERE is the right dyno showing the correct gains!!
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know of a good tuner shop in DC/MD/VA?-after-20dyno.jpg  
Old 05-01-09, 03:05 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From looking at the dyno sheet, it looks like you're still using stock injectors and running base compression right? Since you're running low boost, I guess that you can get away with it. I like to play it safe so I'm running 440's and the supra TT gasket.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know of a good tuner shop in DC/MD/VA?