Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Forced Induction (SC or turbo) installation advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 10:01 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Forced Induction (SC or turbo) installation advise needed

I’m in the process of installing an LMS Super Street Super Charger kit and have some questions regarding “what else” I should do to properly align the kit. I have two local shops willing to do the work.

Even though I’m a GS300 I’m posting this to the IS forums as well since I know a lot of folks have this set up on their cars.

If you all could chime in, I’m looking to see if my approach is correct and the estimates I’m receiving are realistic for the kit (running 6 pounds boost).

Kit install – 8-10 hours
(seems realistic for the mounting kit, IC, piping, SC, etc.)

Fuel Management

There seem to be perceived deficiencies in the LMS iManage. Do you agree that the best move is to go with a GReddy e-Manage? I think this offers a more reliable and holistic management system since it manages fuel and timing, not just fuel.
http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=48

Fuel pressure regulator

Is this needed? If so, is there anything better than a Synapse Engineering FPR (Part #SC004)
http://www.boostcontroller.com/index...category%3D232

Upgraded fuel pump (Walbro GSS342 In-tank fuel pump) and custom fuel return system
Do I need this? My understanding was that at 6 pounds, everything could stay fairly stock with no upgrade needed.

Dynometer Tuning

I realize this is an absolute must for the vehicle to run correctly. Does $700 sound reasonable for tuning?

Thanks fellas!! (and ladies)
Old 04-26-09, 05:28 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
I’m in the process of installing an LMS Super Street Super Charger kit and have some questions regarding “what else” I should do to properly align the kit. I have two local shops willing to do the work.

Even though I’m a GS300 I’m posting this to the IS forums as well since I know a lot of folks have this set up on their cars.

If you all could chime in, I’m looking to see if my approach is correct and the estimates I’m receiving are realistic for the kit (running 6 pounds boost).

Kit install – 8-10 hours
(seems realistic for the mounting kit, IC, piping, SC, etc.)

Fuel Management

There seem to be perceived deficiencies in the LMS iManage. Do you agree that the best move is to go with a GReddy e-Manage? I think this offers a more reliable and holistic management system since it manages fuel and timing, not just fuel.
http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=48

Fuel pressure regulator

Is this needed? If so, is there anything better than a Synapse Engineering FPR (Part #SC004)
http://www.boostcontroller.com/index...category%3D232

Upgraded fuel pump (Walbro GSS342 In-tank fuel pump) and custom fuel return system
Do I need this? My understanding was that at 6 pounds, everything could stay fairly stock with no upgrade needed.

Dynometer Tuning

I realize this is an absolute must for the vehicle to run correctly. Does $700 sound reasonable for tuning?

Thanks fellas!! (and ladies)
The SC should be aligned properly once bolted to the adpt plate. The crank pulley should bolt right up and be right in align with the rest with no issues.

Kit install time will take a little longer. Just the hardware will take 8 hours then you have to add the time for wiring etc...

E-manage is an Ok start but if you go up any in boost you'll need to toss it out. With the GS300 you can run a 255 fuel pump and 440cc injectors and the stock computer can control with little issues. At that point you will need a cheap A/F converter ( Apexi AFC) to tweak the WOT settings some. This is the easiest setup with the closest to stock drivablity you'll get ( for that boost setting)
As for the fuel pressure reg. - The GS has a returnless system and does no have a return fuel line. Their is no FPR. Also you will not need to do a return system for the GS until you get @ 15 lbs of boost but at that point a head gasket + studs are needed to so; adding a return will just be part of the next step to higher HP.

DYNO - seems about double the price it should be but it also depends on who's tuning. I've always done it myself so it may be cheaper just for that reason.

Good luck and start saving for the next step items. Once you see how easy the GS handles boost you'll never stop!
Old 04-28-09, 06:52 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS350
The SC should be aligned properly once bolted to the adpt plate. The crank pulley should bolt right up and be right in align with the rest with no issues.

Kit install time will take a little longer. Just the hardware will take 8 hours then you have to add the time for wiring etc...

E-manage is an Ok start but if you go up any in boost you'll need to toss it out. With the GS300 you can run a 255 fuel pump and 440cc injectors and the stock computer can control with little issues. At that point you will need a cheap A/F converter ( Apexi AFC) to tweak the WOT settings some. This is the easiest setup with the closest to stock drivablity you'll get ( for that boost setting)
As for the fuel pressure reg. - The GS has a returnless system and does no have a return fuel line. Their is no FPR. Also you will not need to do a return system for the GS until you get @ 15 lbs of boost but at that point a head gasket + studs are needed to so; adding a return will just be part of the next step to higher HP.

DYNO - seems about double the price it should be but it also depends on who's tuning. I've always done it myself so it may be cheaper just for that reason.

Good luck and start saving for the next step items. Once you see how easy the GS handles boost you'll never stop!
Thanks for the guidance, you're right on the spot. I found a company that I trust a lot, PFSupercars. They had the right solution (just like your solution) and a reasonable price (maybe a little inflated but I trust the work). I'll make sure to post pictures and dyno when they're done this weekend.

They are supposed to have done a baseline dyno yesterday and are going to do a dyno when complete later this week. Should be interesting.
Old 04-28-09, 07:17 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you the one that bought that brand new kit that was sold a while ago?
Old 04-28-09, 08:28 PM
Chomsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PF Supercars really know their ish. You're in good hands. Keep us updated with the build as it comes along.
Old 04-28-09, 08:39 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Are you the one that bought that brand new kit that was sold a while ago?
I bought a used kit from rz_racer through one on one communication. He's a solid guy and the kit looks in order.
Old 04-28-09, 08:41 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chomsky
PF Supercars really know their ish. You're in good hands. Keep us updated with the build as it comes along.
I agree. Ray (don't remember his last name) was direct with his approach, new the market and engine, and had a very "linear" approach. He instilled confidence with me.

Oh.....I will post a few pics/video for those that care to take a look.
Old 04-30-09, 07:05 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Before and after results
Attached Thumbnails Forced Induction (SC or turbo) installation advise needed-before-dyno.jpg  
Old 04-30-09, 07:06 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

And the results
Attached Thumbnails Forced Induction (SC or turbo) installation advise needed-after-dyno.jpg  
Old 04-30-09, 07:10 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Those baseline numbers don't look right. And I can't see them exactly LOL
Old 04-30-09, 07:16 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Those baseline numbers don't look right. And I can't see them exactly LOL
There's always someone there to try to rain on the parade....anyone that wants to see the actual .pdf let me know, I'll send them to you. Of course iSuxeL, you get no love on this one
Old 04-30-09, 07:19 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

What are you talking about? You think I'm raining on your parade? I have the same SC kit dude. How do you get a baseline of 180 something from 306hp from the factory? And yes I understand crank vs flywheel HP. Can you email me the pdf file?
Old 04-30-09, 07:37 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

What are you talking about? You think I'm raining on your parade? I have the same SC kit dude. How do you get a baseline of 180 something from 306hp from the factory? And yes I understand crank vs flywheel HP. Can you email me the pdf file?
This is a GS300, I posted this for some IS300 comments.

Baseline for the GS300 is 225hp at the crank, somewhere around 180-190 at the wheels. My car dyno'd 188hp/196.62tq.

Now - 285hp/254.08tq with the PMS SS SC. You and I weren't communicating properly. Send me your e-mail.
Old 04-30-09, 07:43 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Ok now I'm really lost LOL. This was a GS300, but yet you post in the IS250/IS350 Performance section, while looking for IS300 comments?

Anyways, don't get me wrong the gains are amazing, but you are so going to get moved LOL

This is an entirely different motor. Thanks for posting though, and have fun with you newly found ball of joy!
Old 04-30-09, 08:39 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Zippyguy- very nice. How does the car feel now? 100HP from 6lbs sounds like alot. What boost did you end up with? It sounds more like 8-10 lbs from the dyno numbers. I bet its alot more fun!

Quick Reply: Forced Induction (SC or turbo) installation advise needed