Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Top Speed Catback Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09 | 09:38 PM
jeffstar
Driver School Candidate

Default Top Speed Catback Installed

2001 GS430

So guys, I installed my new Top Speed (ebay) Exhaust system tonight in about 2 hours. Fitment was good, install went great, car drives great and sounds really good. I started it and imediately pulled the silencers out of the mufflers.

I'll get a video up on youtube because I couldn't find a GS430+Top Speed exhaust anywhere on the web, just GS300 examples.

Very pleased tonight

Last edited by jeffstar; 04-15-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-15-09 | 09:40 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

I'm interested, pop up that video. Also some pictures of the rear muffler fitment if possible, I'm kind of skeptical on how it fits within the stock bumper.
Old 04-15-09 | 09:47 PM
jeffstar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Caoboy
I'm interested, pop up that video. Also some pictures of the rear muffler fitment if possible, I'm kind of skeptical on how it fits within the stock bumper.
When installing an exhaust system on a car with bumper reliefs, in my past experience (NSX, Supra, S4, now my Lexus) there is always a bit of massage work any experienced installer will tell you MOST systems will require a few miles and heat cycles and then you can get the fitment perfectly centered.

After 2 miles of driving and two heat cycles, the exhaust is almost perfect on the first install attempt. History suggests the fitment is going to be perfect when it's all said and done.

That being said, after I get a chance to finalize the install I'll make a video or two for everyone's pleasure.

Last edited by jeffstar; 04-15-09 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-19-09 | 06:35 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

any updates?
Old 04-19-09 | 06:38 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Cant wait to see the video
If you can would you please post a link to the Ebay seller?
Old 04-19-09 | 07:26 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

IIRC jefftsai said the exhaust is a greddy copycat.
Old 04-19-09 | 08:43 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

^^ pingu nailed it. Jefftsai knows the guy that makes it and is currently running it on his car. If that isn't a testament to it's quality idk what is.
Old 04-20-09 | 05:11 AM
kamlung
Instructor

pics and vids please.. i would like to hear how loud this is...
Old 04-20-09 | 04:22 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
^^ pingu nailed it. Jefftsai knows the guy that makes it and is currently running it on his car. If that isn't a testament to it's quality idk what is.

I considered it for a minute just for this very reason, if he's willing to put it on his car it must be up to par. I decided against it mostly because I'd prefer oval mufflers for the look of my car rather than the round "tuner" cans.
Old 04-29-09 | 05:45 AM
jeffstar
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys, it's been a couple of weeks and it's time to deliver the bad news. The exhaust looked good, at first the fitment looked nice. After 10-12 days of driving the exhaust shifted looked terribly uneven. I worked about 8 hours w/my car on the lift to get everything to line up but because the exhaust system's connections were ALL FLANGES and NO SLIP FITS I could not line up the exhaust.

Second problem, the mufflers are so over sized they were interfacing the car BADLY and the backhalf of the pipe was ringing against the body mounts. I spend a good amount of time trying to clearance the car, the mufflers and the pipe so it wouldn't rattle. No luck.

My time is worth more then 40/hour so at this point I felt the exhaust system was a waste of my effort and I pulled it off my car.

Very disappointed and I did not want to post this, but I felt it was only fair to you guys to know the truth.

The seller of the exhaust system on ebay is GREAT and he doesn't MAKE the exhaust so let's not blame him. The company that made the exhaust makes a great looking and sounding product for a 1/3 of the price but you get what you pay for here. Fitment was the primary issue.

Before anyone jumps on me or questions my ability to do installs let me make clear I've been working on and modding cars for over 15 years. I've built Mrk IV Supras to American Muscle. I've sold every car I've built at a high premium and most if not all have had built motors and custom exhaust systems. I do all my own work, search my name Jeffstar on LS1tech.com or Supraforums.com if you need proof. The point of me saying this is I know what I'm doing when it comes to these types of modifications and the problem wasn't me or my lift it was the fact that the builder of this exhaust system decided to forgo slip fits in the back of the system to give the system any adjust ability.

Don't make my mistake, save your 300 dollars and put it towards a nicer higher quality system or just keep your Lexus sounding stock

Last edited by jeffstar; 04-29-09 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-30-09 | 07:29 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

The way the exhaust on the GS is setup it's a bit weird. It takes a while to get the exhausts lined up. You need to torque all bolts evenly.

Here's the basic procedure: Loosely bolt up exhaust system on car with all bolts on the flanges finger tight. Goto the back of the car and shake both the mufflers with your hands by grabbing on the exhaust tips. This will get rid of the tension and will re-center the mufflers. Then go about 5 ft/lbs on all the bolts, then shake exhaust. 10-15ft/lbs then repeat shake again. Now tighten to final spec.

I had the same problem with I first installed the exhaust on this car where one tip would be uneven with the other. Also, one other thing I noticed with the TopSpeed or even the real Greddy exhaust(I've worked with both). The canister is so big that occasionally it will rub on the heat shield in the back of the car above the mufflers. I just yanked my heat shields out and my fitment is spot on now with no issues of rubbing. There's not enough heat back there to require the shield in the back. It takes a bit of finesse to figure out how to install it properly. The only thing that their exhaust system is missing is an instruction manual and installation tips.
Old 05-09-09 | 08:49 PM
HuyMan751
Driver School Candidate

I have the same exhaust kit on my lexus gs400, i got it installled by a local muffler shop, and install was spot on, no leaks and the tips are pretty well centered. Im a noobie when it comes to cars, hehehe what can i 17 year old do? but i can probably snag couple of pictures and possibly a sound clip on my gs4xx.
Old 07-01-09 | 11:29 AM
HuyMan751
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt9toOLZ8qA

ok therea the link to the sound.. and there a picture with the exhaust installed:-)
Old 06-04-10 | 06:47 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Hey guys. Is this the topspeed catback you guys are talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

I bought this but haven't put it on yet.
I hope there are no problems with the fit on my car 98 GS400.

Those links above sound SWEET!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-10 | 01:53 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

I know this isn't a popular thread but I'm getting this put on right now

I hope it sounds great. I will post a vid tomorrow here.
And if it sounds real good I will post in the exhaust sticky.

Quick Reply: Top Speed Catback Installed