Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust fume

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 08:37 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Exhaust fume

I hope someone has a good answer to this. I noticed recently, after I put on Lexus HKS exhaust the right side exhaust tip is a lot dirtier than the other. Is this normal? I did not notice this when I had Tanabe. One side definitely is twice as much black.
Old 04-28-09, 11:28 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weird !! when i had the lexus hks i noticed my left side was darker then the right... :|
Old 04-28-09, 12:54 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Left side meaning driver's side? Mine is a lot darker on passenger's side.
Old 05-08-09, 09:25 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

When I had mine on, it was fairly even. But then again, I cleaned them out fairly often so there was never a huge buildup.
Old 05-08-09, 09:36 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kloh7
When I had mine on, it was fairly even. But then again, I cleaned them out fairly often so there was never a huge buildup.
You switched to F-sport exhaust right? How much louder is F-sport compared to Lexus HKS? Does it still have that G35 sound? I really like that tone on HKS.
Old 05-08-09, 09:49 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

Personally I think it is significantly louder. It has the same type of sound just much louder. This is definately the loudest I would ever go on an exhaust. When I first got it installed and was driving around, I was like....uh oh, did I make the right choice? But overall I like it. It's got more rumble in the lower gears now however when you're driving at a steady 80, it drones quite a bit otherwise if you're not really getting on the gas and stay below 80, its good. When I have the windows down, you can definately tell the difference. Everyones perception of loud is different so I can really only speak of it from my experience. I'll try to get some videos of the exhaust when I get a chance. I'm putting on new wheels soon so maybe after that, just waiting for the tires to come in.
Old 05-08-09, 10:07 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kloh7
Personally I think it is significantly louder. It has the same type of sound just much louder. This is definately the loudest I would ever go on an exhaust. When I first got it installed and was driving around, I was like....uh oh, did I make the right choice? But overall I like it. It's got more rumble in the lower gears now however when you're driving at a steady 80, it drones quite a bit otherwise if you're not really getting on the gas and stay below 80, its good. When I have the windows down, you can definately tell the difference. Everyones perception of loud is different so I can really only speak of it from my experience. I'll try to get some videos of the exhaust when I get a chance. I'm putting on new wheels soon so maybe after that, just waiting for the tires to come in.
Thanks for your feedback. I guess Fsport sounds a bit more like Tanabe with deep tone but slightly mixed with the tone of G35. I got rid of Tanabe because it was too loud for me, F-sport is probably not for me.
Old 05-08-09, 12:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Thanks for your feedback. I guess Fsport sounds a bit more like Tanabe with deep tone but slightly mixed with the tone of G35. I got rid of Tanabe because it was too loud for me, F-sport is probably not for me.
The tanabe is the quietest exhaust made for the 2IS.

Of the 4 people I've had in my car since installing it only 1 even noticed I'd changed from the stock exhaust.
Old 05-08-09, 01:27 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The tanabe is the quietest exhaust made for the 2IS.

Of the 4 people I've had in my car since installing it only 1 even noticed I'd changed from the stock exhaust.
That one has good hearing. Seriously, Tanabe is very loud. Lexus HKS is so quiet, it only makes noise only if you make it. Tanabe just has this constant deep tone and if you climb hill or pass someone on freeway it drones like hell.
Old 05-08-09, 09:03 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
That one has good hearing. Seriously, Tanabe is very loud. Lexus HKS is so quiet, it only makes noise only if you make it. Tanabe just has this constant deep tone and if you climb hill or pass someone on freeway it drones like hell.
Not on my car

It's extremely quiet with no drone whatsoever.

I wouldn't have kept it if it droned at all

90% of the time even I don't notice it's there
Old 05-08-09, 11:26 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My lexus HKS is nice ... but sometimes I feel its a little too quiet.

I am thinking about getting the F-Sport ... hmm... maybe I can find someone who has a F-Sport that want to go quieter and trade lol
Old 05-09-09, 07:36 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

I have to agree, both the Lexus HKS and Tanabe are really close in tone (fairly quiet in general). If they are a bit too loud for you and the f-sport would def annoy.