Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got intake & exhaust... I want to go faster!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 04:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the high compression is a big problem certainly... I don't think the ECU is though, because I don't think there's much to gain with a tune here. (as evidenced in part by how small the temp gains are from AFCs)

The simple fact is, the car is already pretty optimized from Lexus... that's why even traditional bolt-on parts gain so little...the room for improvement is just pretty small.

Look at the competition.... Infiniti had to increase displacement above 3.5L to get over 306 hp, and even then the motor still makes less torque. BMW had to put -two- turbos on their 6 cylinder to only make 300 hp (though there's room for a lot more thanks to the turbos)

If there was some simple, magical, way to bump hp much then Lexus probably would've done it for the 09 face lift to keep their marketing brochures ahead of Infiniti.
Old 05-07-09, 06:23 AM
EyeEss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, the high compression is a big problem certainly... I don't think the ECU is though, because I don't think there's much to gain with a tune here. (as evidenced in part by how small the temp gains are from AFCs)

The simple fact is, the car is already pretty optimized from Lexus... that's why even traditional bolt-on parts gain so little...the room for improvement is just pretty small.

Look at the competition.... Infiniti had to increase displacement above 3.5L to get over 306 hp, and even then the motor still makes less torque. BMW had to put -two- turbos on their 6 cylinder to only make 300 hp (though there's room for a lot more thanks to the turbos)

If there was some simple, magical, way to bump hp much then Lexus probably would've done it for the 09 face lift to keep their marketing brochures ahead of Infiniti.
We have a winner.
Old 05-07-09, 06:26 AM
EyeEss
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The way to go?

Well, it's certainly the way to go tremendously slower than the IS350 the poster already has anyway.
<3 I am just saying I drove the 350 and it was boring. Even though the 6MT loses 100 horses, it retains the fun factor, and it is a great car to throw into corners without worrying about losing control. I am one of those clutch happy people unfortunately
Old 05-07-09, 11:23 AM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

I think nitrous is the way to go for the 2IS. I ran a best of 13.6@101 stock with full interior with 50 shot I ran a 13.1@108 with full interior and spinning (not spraying first with 3000-6100 window.)

My whole set up cost some where around the $1200 ball park without labor, includes...nitrous express kit, nitrous express rpm activation, nitrous express TPS, AEM wideband, ZEX bottle warmer, and misc parts.

Nitrous is safe if it's install right and not abusing it. The thing that suck about nitrous kit is the refuel of the bottle...it ranges from $3-$6 a pound here in TX.
Old 05-07-09, 11:32 AM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Originally Posted by MIsTeRRxTC
<3 I am just saying I drove the 350 and it was boring. Even though the 6MT loses 100 horses, it retains the fun factor, and it is a great car to throw into corners without worrying about losing control. I am one of those clutch happy people unfortunately
There are other cars for less that do this better. The thing about the IS is sporty characteristics while still being a luxury car. If you want fun factor and speed, go buy a C5 Z06. They are cheap now and a ton of fun. They just lack the luxury side of it all.
Old 05-07-09, 12:04 PM
EyeEss
Driver

Originally Posted by Tommyboy72
There are other cars for less that do this better. The thing about the IS is sporty characteristics while still being a luxury car. If you want fun factor and speed, go buy a C5 Z06. They are cheap now and a ton of fun. They just lack the luxury side of it all.
Agreed, I chose not to go for all fun factor, this was a nice mix between fun and lux. I was going to get a MazdaSpeed3 and take it all the way up to a stage 3 setup , but the car is just 0% luxy. I don't like the G37, and the BMW's have ugly interiors with ****ty idrive features. IS was perfect choice, I just wish the 350 came in stick, I would have picked it up in a heart beat.
Old 05-07-09, 01:13 PM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Originally Posted by EyeEss
IS was perfect choice, I just wish the 350 came in stick, I would have picked it up in a heart beat.
I wonder if I would have. This is the first automatic car for me (not the wife) I have owned since I was 17. I am glad its automatic most of the time, but sometimes I wish it was manual, or at least had a more manual like control in S mode such as no 500rpm delay in the upshift at WOT.
Old 05-08-09, 04:41 AM
cpr greg
Driver School Candidate

man do i ever agree on that! if the is 350 came in a 6 speed it would be by far the best car for the buck out there. I had a 350z and just had to get rid of it because of starting a familyand got the is350. my z was a ton of fun todrive because of the stick but it had was a tense car to drive. the nose was so long and it wanted to brake lose on every corner you took and it just didetn have the interior styling like the is. The z was a lot flasyier but i think over all i like the is alot better. and also the z was about like the is. nissan had such a good set up that it was hard to gain much from any bolt ons. you dident gain much from a roots supercharger and a turbo was so risky because there were alot of bad tunes out there and it was hard to get on tuned right. very few people were beaking the 300hp at the wheels mark! so lets just hope that we get a 6speed is350 or even isf i a 6speed. i would much rather see the 350 in a 6speed though because of the price of isf lol
Old 05-08-09, 05:11 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Boost!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-09, 06:13 AM
colHolM
Rookie

Or you could swap in the 4.0L V6 from the Tacoma/FJ and then slap the TRD supercharger on it!

Though, that would certainly be more work than I've made it sound like.

I do like the idea of grabbing the "400" from an old RXh and having an "IS 400"
Old 05-08-09, 07:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpr greg
man do i ever agree on that! if the is 350 came in a 6 speed it would be by far the best car for the buck out there. I had a 350z and just had to get rid of it because of starting a familyand got the is350. my z was a ton of fun todrive because of the stick but it had was a tense car to drive. the nose was so long and it wanted to brake lose on every corner you took and it just didetn have the interior styling like the is. The z was a lot flasyier but i think over all i like the is alot better. and also the z was about like the is. nissan had such a good set up that it was hard to gain much from any bolt ons. you dident gain much from a roots supercharger and a turbo was so risky because there were alot of bad tunes out there and it was hard to get on tuned right. very few people were beaking the 300hp at the wheels mark! so lets just hope that we get a 6speed is350 or even isf i a 6speed. i would much rather see the 350 in a 6speed though because of the price of isf lol

You're never going to see a manual IS350 because almost nobody buys manuals in the markets they sell the IS350 in... even on the 250 it's 20:1 automatics...and the auto gets better mileage too.

You won't see it on the IS-F because why would they put on a transmission that would slow down their highest performance car?

Manuals are ancient 1950s tech, they're a thing of the past and quickly being relegated to history. Want a GT-R? no clutch pedal. Want the fastest porsche? no clutch pedal.
Old 05-10-09, 02:26 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

lighter wheels for sure.
Old 05-10-09, 02:59 AM
nordoyan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try the royal purple motor oil n pulstar spark plugs that should give u something maybe
Old 05-10-09, 08:09 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nordoyan
pulstar spark plugs that should give u something maybe
Only thing those'll give you is a lighter wallet
Old 05-10-09, 01:26 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikez
Start over again with an ISF lol

Quick Reply: Got intake & exhaust... I want to go faster!!!