Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got intake & exhaust... I want to go faster!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 03:55 AM
TrueStreet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been reading into much of the performance mods on the 2GR-FSE since I plan to keep mine stock for at least 3 years before doing a complete tear down and go completely crazy on the mods. But the chevy 3.6L VVT DI motor gets quite a bit of power bump from exhaust and intake considering those are fairly light mods. Like adding the corsa exhaust makes it jump about 18hp/14tq @ the wheel and then adding the intake kit on top of that made it increase again by 13hp/6tq which overall is around 30hp/20tq increase at the wheels. I know it has almost 100cc on the 2GR, but still. The Base CTS with the 3.6L is making 294hp at the wheels with that mod. If there is a 10%~15% drive train loss that would put it at 327~346hp @ the Fly. The high compression should be a good thing for the 2GR should be able to play with the engine more to pull out more power. Usually people doing N/A builds get high comp pistons and junk and do all the other supporting mods for high revving. Just got to figure out how to free up some revs on the 2GR.
Old 05-11-09, 04:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueStreet
I haven't been reading into much of the performance mods on the 2GR-FSE since I plan to keep mine stock for at least 3 years before doing a complete tear down and go completely crazy on the mods. But the chevy 3.6L VVT DI motor gets quite a bit of power bump from exhaust and intake considering those are fairly light mods. Like adding the corsa exhaust makes it jump about 18hp/14tq @ the wheel and then adding the intake kit on top of that made it increase again by 13hp/6tq which overall is around 30hp/20tq increase at the wheels. I know it has almost 100cc on the 2GR, but still. The Base CTS with the 3.6L is making 294hp at the wheels with that mod. If there is a 10%~15% drive train loss that would put it at 327~346hp @ the Fly. The high compression should be a good thing for the 2GR should be able to play with the engine more to pull out more power. Usually people doing N/A builds get high comp pistons and junk and do all the other supporting mods for high revving. Just got to figure out how to free up some revs on the 2GR.
On the IS350-

Intake adds 5 rwhp, tops.

Exhaust adds 7-12 rwhp, depending how legal you need it to be.

So with those mods you'll make about the same as the CTS with those mods. The main difference is the Lexus was making more power to start with.

There are no aftermarket engine internals available for the 2GR- anything you do in that regard would be custom, and would end up costing more in parts/labor than just gaining over 100 hp by trading it in for an IS-F with a factory warranty.
Old 05-11-09, 08:43 AM
TrueStreet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked up the stock speck on the GM V6. It makes 304hp @ the fly and here is the dyno sheet comparing stock vs intake+exhaust.

Using GM's figures and the dyno sheet it would show that there is a 14.6% drive train loss. So that would mean with intake and exhaust the GM V6 makes 340hp @ the crank.
Old 03-23-24, 02:02 PM
Drug350
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Legally... how can I go faster? And please don't say loose weight
I purchased a set of PPE Equal Length Headers and Apexi cat back exhaust last spring. I was doing the entire installation myself, in my garage. Being in Minnesota and having short summers, I didn't want to lose a few weeks of nice weather and driving my new RCF so I decided to install the Apexi cat back exhaust and leave the header's for the winter while the car was off the road for 6 months. Swapping out the stock cat back exhaust and installing the Apexi with resonators, made a really nice "sound" difference, though I couldn't truly tell any major "seat of the pants" difference. I drove it this way for 6 months until the fall. I installed the PPE Equal Length Headers in January, and while it's not too bad a job, the poor installation instructions cost me alot more time then it should have taken. Regardless, I got them installed and everything back together. OMG !!!!! What a MAJOR difference all around, in sound, loudness, and "seat of the pants" feedback. The header's make the exhaust SIGNIFICANTLY louder and much better sounding. The Apexi utilizes an "H - pipe" vs most aftermarkets "X - pipe". There's advantages to both, in terms of sound, power, and torque. After installing just the Apexi Exhaust with resonators, I loved the look and sound, but I was wishing it was a bit louder. Now I'm soooooo glad it turned out the Apexi with resonators wasn't that loud because with the header's installed, it's now VERY loud. All my neighbors hate my car, and especially it's "cold start up". It literally screams, shakes, and sets car alarms off and makes every dog in the neighborhood start barking (LOL). It's loud, but sounds sooooooooo freaking mean I absolutely am in love with it. I pay for SuriusXM but I never use it now. I prefer to listen to the motor whail. I HIGHLY recommend header's, and especially the PPE Equal Length Headers for this car. Add any aftermarket exhaust you want, it's going to sound great.