Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS430 tranny acting up - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 04:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

It takes 1.8 qt. The transmission filter is suppose to last and not to be changed. CEL is not on? Did you try to put it in 4 gear? Is there any difference?
Old 05-14-09, 04:07 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
the dealers here apparently do not work on trannies - they just replace them at any sign of trouble. But my point is that perhaps the problem both times was fairly minor, I don't know.
It isn't just Toyota dealers in your area, it is all Toyota's. I used to work at Toyota, their justification is that although the techs are trained on various transmissions it is pretty much for diagnosis only, and its too costly to rip into a transmission. Whereas an engine is another story, it is much cheaper to rebuild the engine than it is to rebuild the tranny. So Toyota will rebuild a motor, depending on the cost break down, but not rebuild a transmission, but simply replace it. I would start with a drain and fill to see if you notice any difference that new fluid might make. It's like an oil change, but easier. 14mm bolt, drain as much as possible, tighten the bolt, and add 2 qts. Go from there. Hope that helps some. If you do decide to drop the pan, replace the filter since your there.
Old 05-14-09, 07:04 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
It isn't just Toyota dealers in your area, it is all Toyota's. I used to work at Toyota, their justification is that although the techs are trained on various transmissions it is pretty much for diagnosis only, and its too costly to rip into a transmission. .
Ah, I appreciate your insight, as this is exactly what I have seen from the dealer. So, let me ask you this - if I do the simple stuff that I can do myself (drain/refill, maybe look at filter), and nothing changes, then is there any sense of taking it to the dealer to see if they will try to work on it? Or will they just say that they need to replace it (which judging from my previous in-warranty work is $5K)?

Or, put another way, do other shops actually try to repair transmissions like this these days, or are they all in the "replace with rebuilt unit" mode these days?
Old 05-15-09, 12:04 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam430
I would just read the indicator properly rather than worry about how much to add or remove based on assumptions. Take the car for a ride and come back to a leveled surface and see if it's close or below the hot indicator. I personally wouldn't care too much if it's in the area of the hot indicator. Take a little bit out if you are worried...but check the level properly first before you do anything.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ranny-oil.html
Thank Sam. I just switched my trann fluid to Red Line D4 ATF which equivelence to T-IV and better, and I noticed that the shift between gears were running a lot smoother and more responsive. I added 2 qts and the fluid came up to the hot level as expected. Now I drive with a piece of mind.
Old 05-15-09, 12:47 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Ah, I appreciate your insight, as this is exactly what I have seen from the dealer. So, let me ask you this - if I do the simple stuff that I can do myself (drain/refill, maybe look at filter), and nothing changes, then is there any sense of taking it to the dealer to see if they will try to work on it? Or will they just say that they need to replace it (which judging from my previous in-warranty work is $5K)?

Or, put another way, do other shops actually try to repair transmissions like this these days, or are they all in the "replace with rebuilt unit" mode these days?
My guess is that if you bring it to just any old transmission shop, they will probably do a little diagnosis, but I just don't think they can identify as much as the dealership because of that TIS. They can check the shift solenoids and all that other stuff, where as if you just brought it somewhere, they'll probably just pressure test it. All that does is it checks to see if they are getting the right psi, they know that your tranny oil pump is good. Otherwise they'll probably see you just try to see you a new or remand. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, and let us know what you find out. I dread the day I'm in your shoes. I think I'd go with a 6 speed swap.
Old 01-31-10, 10:27 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lyon, close this thread with the same response and awesome fine from the other ones, "replaced battery"!
Old 01-31-10, 10:58 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I build these transmissions all the time. I actually tear them down and modify them internally and replace the parts inside with much stronger parts than stock. The one in my car is holding mid 700HP range and I don't exactly go easy on it. I've had problems when the trans wouldnt move unless revved up. The #1 cause for this is if your fluid is low. Overfilling the fluid is generally not recommended but it won't really hurt anything. If you seriously overfill it, then the fluid will be purged out of the overfill valve which could present a dangerous situation for yoursel or others if you are pouring out trans fluid when it's raining outside.

The other issue as others have mentioned is that your transmission filter might be clogged. If there was an internal transmission issue, the last time you checked the fluid...was it dark/dirty or burned smelling? Also, start up the car and listen carefully to the transmission. See if you can hear a buzzing/rattling noise. That usually indicates that the trans pump is cavitating, not getting enough fluid, or could possibly be the pump going out.

That's the things with these transmissions, theres so many parts that can go wrong inside. They're not exactly easy to work on either because there's so many similar(but different)looking parts. You really have to know what you're doing to be able to tear apart a trans and put it back together. I know a few mechanics that work on engines and rebuild them all day long, but they won't go within a mile of the inside of an automatic transmission lol.

The final note, I think you might be able to get the dealer to fix the trans again for you. I mean if this will be the 3rd trans replacement, I think you can get them under the lemon law. You're obviously doing your maintenance on time and keep up with everything and some other/unknown factor is causing your transmission to fail. I think they will work with you on this issue if you bring it in. Ask to speak to a service manager if going through 3 transmissions on a Lexus within 80k miles is normal lol. If he says yes, ask him why they don't advertise it on their brochure
The following users liked this post:
OkiStash (02-25-22)
Old 03-18-12, 08:59 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I should have updated this earlier - the problem was... the battery. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ieve-this.html
Old 03-21-12, 05:33 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow thats some bad luck bro, im sorry to hear that! if you need to swap out again then you might as well get a 2jz LOL

i would do that if i was on the third tranny!