Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS430 tranny acting up - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 06:56 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default GS430 tranny acting up - any ideas?

I started noticing that my '01 430 tranny is acting up.

On three occasions now, when I put it in D, nothing happens. I can step on the gas, the engine revs up, but the car barely moves. If I put it in R, it engages harshly (with a jolt), and then drives in reverse. Takes about 5-10 such back and forth shifts for it to drive forward.

This has only happened three times so far, but obviously something is not right.

The first time I noticed this was right after I changed the plugs, but that was almost 4 months ago. Now it happened twice in last two days, both times after the car had been driven a bit, not when cold (which I found odd). Could the plug changeover have done anything (could I have damaged a wire or something)?

This car is on its third tranny as it is (with only 85K on it!), so I am not in the mood for yet another replacement, especially because I am out of warranty.

I change the fluid (drain and refill, not flush) with the TIV fluid every 10-15K. I also just checked the fluid, and it is right at the level of the higher notch.

Anyone have any ideas of what this might be? Or even if there is anything I can do myself to diagnose?

Thanks,

Leon

Last edited by lyonkster; 05-13-09 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-13-09, 07:02 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

have u tried resetting the tranny? i forgot which fuse you take out.. hopefully someone knows.
Old 05-13-09, 07:32 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check your transmission fluid. The level ?
Old 05-13-09, 07:36 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ agree. Check the level first. If it's low, I'd suggest you take the bottom out and check the tranny filter. If the filter is good, then you are in good shape... just put in the recommended amount. GL
Old 05-13-09, 07:38 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I say whom ever put the tranny before probably didn't put the correct ATF, IMHO. Lexus tranny doesn't go out like that. Only per Hondas. But do check the fluid.
Old 05-13-09, 07:42 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Sorry, I neglected to say earlier that I change the fluid (drain and refill, not flush) with the TIV fluid every 10-15K. I also just checked the fluid, and it is right at the level of the higher notch.

But if there is something to be gained by dropping the pan and looking, I am not against that - just want to know what I'd be looking for.

And I'd like to know more about resetting the tranny - how is that done, and what might that accomplish?

I am a novice with these trannies, so it would be helpful if someone could help me decipher if this is more likely an electrical or mechanical problem? It seems to shift fine when driving, just that initial engagement is the problem.

Also, can I continue to drive the car and make observations, or do I risk making a small problem into a bigger one by damaging something?
Old 05-13-09, 07:46 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I say whom ever put the tranny before probably didn't put the correct ATF, IMHO. Lexus tranny doesn't go out like that. Only per Hondas. But do check the fluid.
I'd believe it, if I didn't know that the first tranny went out at 20K, and the next one 15K later. So I am lucky to have gotten 50K on this last one . Both times the tranny was replaced by the Lexus dealer, so I know (well, hope) that the fluid was right. And I only use TIV when I drain it.
Old 05-13-09, 07:48 PM
PhoenixINX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
This car is on its third tranny as it is (with only 85K on it!), so I am not in the mood for yet another replacement, especially because I am out of warranty.
THREE TRANSMISSIONS?!?!?!

Sounds like something else is going on. Unless you are just INCREDIBLY hard on your car, there is just no chance you're blowing through them like you are.

I see you're in Cali, are you parking the car in gear and leaving it to strain on hills, etc?? I know our transmission has a LOT of slack in it, and it's recommended to use the parking brake when on any incline.
Old 05-13-09, 07:52 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

If you followed the procedure of drain and fill. See Performance section, although it should be in maintenance section, for proper way to check the tranny fluid. Overfill is just as bad as underfill. Correct reading is based on temperature since fluid expands and retracts.

If the filter is clogged, you will get the symptom you've just mentioned.

If it happens on initial engagement... you may have underfilled... but you said that it's near the top. When you check the fluid level, the engine must be on and parked on a level area.
Old 05-13-09, 07:57 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
THREE TRANSMISSIONS?!?!?!

Sounds like something else is going on. Unless you are just INCREDIBLY hard on your car, there is just no chance you're blowing through them like you are.

I see you're in Cali, are you parking the car in gear and leaving it to strain on hills, etc?? I know our transmission has a LOT of slack in it, and it's recommended to use the parking brake when on any incline.
It's not my driving, I promise - I tend to baby it, if anything. Besides, it was the previous owner who had it replaced twice . I think that the "replacement" is a bit of an overkill (duh), because the tranny was just acting up a bit (just like it is doing now), but it was under warranty and the dealers here apparently do not work on trannies - they just replace them at any sign of trouble. But my point is that perhaps the problem both times was fairly minor, I don't know.

And I also wonder if there is some underlying condition, but have no idea how to look for it.
Old 05-13-09, 08:00 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by sam430
If you followed the procedure of drain and fill. See Performance section, although it should be in maintenance section, for proper way to check the tranny fluid. Overfill is just as bad as underfill. Correct reading is based on temperature since fluid expands and retracts.

If the filter is clogged, you will get the symptom you've just mentioned.

If it happens on initial engagement... you may have underfilled... but you said that it's near the top. When you check the fluid level, the engine must be on and parked on a level area.
Hmmm, interesting. I did not check or replace the filter, just the fluid - so if that could be the cause, that would be easy enough to check.

I check the fluid level like you said, with the car idling in park, and engine/tranny hot - and it is at the higher notch - is that too high you think?

Last edited by lyonkster; 05-13-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-13-09, 08:05 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

It's safer to be under hot level than over fill. Assuming you drove it around before you checked.

If the filter is okay...then I guess, you may have set the transmission to POWER ECT. That does make the tranny more responsive and will act like it's a stick.
Old 05-13-09, 09:35 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam430
It's safer to be under hot level than over fill. Assuming you drove it around before you checked.

If the filter is okay...then I guess, you may have set the transmission to POWER ECT. That does make the tranny more responsive and will act like it's a stick.
Sam, what happen if it is just a little overfilled? I just did on tranny fluid changed over last weekend, and I filled with 2 qt and added a little more like another 1/4 of a qt. The manual stated 1.9 to 2 qt. I read somewhere in the forum that 2 qt is not enough, some people added up to 3 qt. What is your take on this one? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-14-09, 10:33 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

So it seems that the concensus is that this problem is fluid level/type/cleanliness related.

Does anyone think it could be something in electronics, or mechanicals inside? Are there codes that the dealer could read that would tell him more?
Old 05-14-09, 11:32 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ivnnln
Sam, what happen if it is just a little overfilled? I just did on tranny fluid changed over last weekend, and I filled with 2 qt and added a little more like another 1/4 of a qt. The manual stated 1.9 to 2 qt. I read somewhere in the forum that 2 qt is not enough, some people added up to 3 qt. What is your take on this one? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would just read the indicator properly rather than worry about how much to add or remove based on assumptions. Take the car for a ride and come back to a leveled surface and see if it's close or below the hot indicator. I personally wouldn't care too much if it's in the area of the hot indicator. Take a little bit out if you are worried...but check the level properly first before you do anything.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ranny-oil.html

Quick Reply: GS430 tranny acting up - any ideas?