Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 12:14 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get 26 on the interstate adn 28 on the HWY no matter what on the IS350. Ive gotten 30, but thats odd.
Old 05-27-09, 04:30 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol the ISF guys are laughing rite now.. Automatic is way better then a manual for myself cause I got super tired of shifting.. And please dont put the 350's down cause its a automatic. Give me a 250 manual stock and I know I can outshift and outdrive any of you newbies, thats for the ppl thats talking alot of smacks.. lmao
Old 05-27-09, 05:24 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil888
lol the ISF guys are laughing rite now.. Automatic is way better then a manual for myself cause I got super tired of shifting.. And please dont put the 350's down cause its a automatic. Give me a 250 manual stock and I know I can outshift and outdrive any of you newbies, thats for the ppl thats talking alot of smacks.. lmao
lol..

we are in 2009. The fastest car in the world is a automatic.. I am pretty sure manual will be retired soon. Automatic is faster, better fuel efficiency, etc..

Btw, what is there to feel in a is250 manual? I had a IS250 as a loaner and it is so slow.. I have to push it so hard just to pass another car.. very disappointing..
Old 05-27-09, 05:36 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

manual is more though i do agree.... just not practical anymore
Old 05-27-09, 10:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil888
Yes we are. Laughing because the gearbox in the 250 is a Tacoma gearbox and one of the crappiest designs I've ever seen. You won't be changing anything in that gearbox without spending a ton of money for custom work, and it will still be a pile of junk IMHO.

Add to this I have my Supra sitting next to my F and I traded my 350 for my F, so I've got pretty much a solid reference point for everything but the manual 250. The Supra's 6 speed is unique among Toyota gearboxes. It's the only one built by Getrag. It's actually a Getrag 233. It's a great gearbox, but it's stiff, clunky, and requires significant focus to make it work well. The 350's gearbox isn't bad, but doesn't allow real manually controlled shifting the way the F does. The only thing better than the F is a DSG.

AFA mileage - I've seen 30.4 mpg from my 350 on the highway and 28.0 mpg from my F. The best the Supra has ever done is 26.3 mpg. Around town the F gets ~20 mpg unless I beat on it, and the 350 got ~22 mpg. The Supra eeks out 18 mpg driven conservatively. Keep in mind the Supra weighs 3415 on a certified scale, the 350 weighed 3612, and the F weighed 3742 all with less than 1/4 tank of gas. Funny how the heavier cars with the automatics get better mileage, isn't it?

So in the end, you're not going to see boost for the 250 from the aftermarket. If you want boost, you're going to have to do it yourself from scratch. There isn't anywhere near a large enough demand to make boosting a 250 economically feasible for anyone trying to earn a living selling aftermarket stuff.
Old 05-28-09, 07:21 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes we are. Laughing because the gearbox in the 250 is a Tacoma gearbox and one of the crappiest designs I've ever seen. You won't be changing anything in that gearbox without spending a ton of money for custom work, and it will still be a pile of junk IMHO.

Add to this I have my Supra sitting next to my F and I traded my 350 for my F, so I've got pretty much a solid reference point for everything but the manual 250. The Supra's 6 speed is unique among Toyota gearboxes. It's the only one built by Getrag. It's actually a Getrag 233. It's a great gearbox, but it's stiff, clunky, and requires significant focus to make it work well. The 350's gearbox isn't bad, but doesn't allow real manually controlled shifting the way the F does. The only thing better than the F is a DSG.

AFA mileage - I've seen 30.4 mpg from my 350 on the highway and 28.0 mpg from my F. The best the Supra has ever done is 26.3 mpg. Around town the F gets ~20 mpg unless I beat on it, and the 350 got ~22 mpg. The Supra eeks out 18 mpg driven conservatively. Keep in mind the Supra weighs 3415 on a certified scale, the 350 weighed 3612, and the F weighed 3742 all with less than 1/4 tank of gas. Funny how the heavier cars with the automatics get better mileage, isn't it?

So in the end, you're not going to see boost for the 250 from the aftermarket. If you want boost, you're going to have to do it yourself from scratch. There isn't anywhere near a large enough demand to make boosting a 250 economically feasible for anyone trying to earn a living selling aftermarket stuff.
Hello there fellow supra owner didnt know anybody on here owned one cool to know anyways ths IS-F tranny is amazing it is a real automanual where you can actually control the gear you are in and shifts precise each and every time . But you haveing a supra should know once you start adding any more power to them they go to **** fast no matter what car if you are looking to make some pretty impresive numbers. You cant use your stock auto sorry guys just isnt going to happen now maybe if you threw in a th400 you could but there no fun and are alot of work to get running right PROefi is the only EMS that I have seen them be able to shift smoothly enough for the street with out jerking you around.

Now like you stated yes my clunky *** car does have a damn tacoma tranny in it which sucks but its still fun to drive same reason you have a you a 6 speed in your supra one its fun to drive two its can handle gobs of power without being built just a good clutch and flywheel (I know the IS250 cant handle much power motor or tranny) But one more thing you are trying to compare your old supra with a new car this just isnt fair one your car has twin turbos or maybe its even single but either way its going to suck more gas then a newer direct port engine come on thats not even close to a fair comparison. Hey I have one more question for you its off this subject what kind of clutch your running in your Supra I am using RPS carbon carbon and it sucks horribly and suggestions?!?! I was thinking of going TILTON but 5k is alot for a clutch so I am just lost on what to right now.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by rscott22; 05-28-09 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 09:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

To answer your orignal question.. NO... Lexus will never build a supercharger..

The closest they got was the IS-F..

Just trade in the 250 and get the F, life couldn't be easier..

Joe Z
Old 05-28-09, 10:03 AM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

OR...spend the 700-800 on a nitrous kit and call it a day
Old 05-28-09, 10:10 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2 R1
OR...spend the 700-800 on a nitrous kit and call it a day
So you can get an IS250 into the low 12's on the bottle??
Old 05-28-09, 11:12 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Joe you gotta update the sig/pic!
Old 05-28-09, 01:45 PM
vanson350
Driver

Originally Posted by rscott22
Hey I have one more question for you its off this subject what kind of clutch your running in your Supra I am using RPS carbon carbon and it sucks horribly and suggestions?!?! I was thinking of going TILTON but 5k is alot for a clutch so I am just lost on what to right now.

Thanks,
Ryan
I had an RPS in my 300ZX TT and it blew at 8k miles. What a waste.

IS-F if you can afford it would be the way to go. Our platfrom is not tuner friendly and the market is not huge. I like my IS350 but it has it's limits.
Old 05-28-09, 03:34 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by juice14
manual will always be more fun. but not better in any oter way.
sad, but true.

The 250 especially in the manual has decent power if you don't have any passengers. My problem is I have a family (wife and 3 kids) and with a full load, the 250 is very underpowered. Heck, the 350 feels sluggish with the whole family in the car.

Why couldn't they give the is250 30 more horsepower?

I miss the driving experience with the stick
Old 05-28-09, 06:02 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Let's face it - the aftermarket for the ISx350 isn't huge because there isn't a lot of demand for it. OK, so maybe there's 35 or so active kiddies on this website that would cream their pants over an FI option for the IS - well, it wouldn't be worth it because obviously...

(a) the # of people buying it wouldn't come CLOSE to recouping the R&D costs (that includes the teenies on here who drive daddy's car.
(b) the power gained wouldn't be worth the $
(c) the longevity of the powerplant/drivetrain would suffer immensely.

The engine is too high strung with from the factory to benefit from FI upgrades. I scoff at the current turbo project going on for the 350. Waste of $ IMHO. For what? $10,000 you've got maybe 50-60rwhp over stock on pump? Maybe? And, oh, wouldn't you know, that IS-F at the stoplight just handed your turbo'd 350 its ***. Bummer. That's why Lexus isn't building an FI solution -they already have a V8-powered solution for those who buy an IS and are serious about performance.

I'll throw the $10K or so at the Supra instead, thanks.
Old 06-02-09, 11:21 AM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

I want a ferrari..........
Old 06-02-09, 12:19 PM
pandy_88
Lead Lap

who said manual wont win against auto?

when we do fast turns, we can downshift and get a better boast after the corner turns, when in auto, that thing laggs

Quick Reply: F-Sport Supercharger?