Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Upgrading exhaust/need new safc for gs4

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 02:02 PM
al-ex-us
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just now getting back to this thread I made. I only wish there was a clear and cut answer as to what I should do, but, I guess I will find out! I placed an order for the headers a week ago. Luis at L-Tuned said that the Tanabe cat-back and headers combo should pack a good punch; I won't experience any power loss, instead, I should gain from 22 - 30 HP. Any thoughts??
Old 06-10-09, 09:30 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
well i apriciate all the advice i would think the factory x pipe/resonator would be restrictive, it looks like it but after reading what you say i might just cut out the rear resonators and do rear sections. I do own a muffler shop but i dont own a dyno , so i cant just keep changing exhaust out and head to the dyno and pay $$$ every time. IT would be nice but i just have the time to do it work late hours all the time. Is there a picture of Burns style x pipe like cut open(exposed)? i was going to use an old style magnaflow, cuz i can buy one real cheap. But if can get an idea of how the Burns style is made i can duplicate it, if not i'm leaving the first resonator alone.
Edit: i can easily make something like this myself http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Narr...30498/10002/-1
The Jegs X is like the Dr.Gas X that I posted above. This is what I call a "window" X which is a cross between and X and an H pipe.

The Burns is a 2-1 merge collector connected to a 1-2 merge collector. It accelerates the gasses through the X.

Creating an effective merge of whatever style is like any other exhaust exercise... test, test, test. Since the stock one works so well for the application; street car with low speed torque and throttle response while providing minimal restriction at peak RPM/power, the answer is either keep the stocker or be prepared to test multiple designs.

Here is a picture showing how smoothly the GS400 Y pipe joins the 2 50mm pipes into the single 60mm pipe. Each 50mm is stretched and formed into 1/2 the 60mm pipe. This is very nice as the 60mm is less area than the two 50mm. This would require an acceleration of the gas to make this transition. By doing it at the end of each 50mm pipe you get a one way check valve that flows just as much as the 60mm will allow. Like I said, a pretty darn good part at these power levels.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading exhaust/need new safc for gs4-im001525.jpg  
Old 06-10-09, 09:36 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by al-ex-us
I am just now getting back to this thread I made. I only wish there was a clear and cut answer as to what I should do, but, I guess I will find out! I placed an order for the headers a week ago. Luis at L-Tuned said that the Tanabe cat-back and headers combo should pack a good punch; I won't experience any power loss, instead, I should gain from 22 - 30 HP. Any thoughts??
The headers are the power makers. The Tanabe exhaust is mostly visual and sound. Headers work very well with the stock pipes and mufflers. The headers make the engine respond more crisply as well as making more power at all RPM points. Get the headers installed before worring about other exhaust upgrades. There is minimal if any sound change but the power change is very obvious. Peak power numbers are less important than the power increase accross the power band.
Old 06-11-09, 08:46 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Default Exhaust?

So, even if I was in the market to get the exhaust system, are you saying that it isn't worth it because it'll only serve aesthetic purposes, not horsepower??
Old 06-11-09, 09:42 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So, even if I was in the market to get the exhaust system, are you saying that it isn't worth it because it'll only serve aesthetic purposes, not horsepower??
...I think he is just saying that for the money the power increase is negligible. As with most (if not all) exhausts you are lucky to see 5whp gains on an N/A car from what I have researched.
Old 06-11-09, 09:54 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Default Hp gain!

How much more of a gain would I get with the headers? If I install both components, would an SAFC unit help get the most out from this setup??
Old 06-11-09, 10:22 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

How much more of a gain would I get with the headers? If I install both components, would an SAFC unit help get the most out from this setup??
Yes! Before when I dyno'd at 267whp I had a K&N intake, Borla exhaust and tuned Apexi Neo. My most recent dyno was ~282whp with the addition of the S&S Headers and a re-tune (necessary) of my Apexi Neo. ~+15whp gain! Most of that is mid-range power that you can feel in real driving instances!
Old 06-11-09, 10:25 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Default Safc!!

Okay! This is what I understand: Tanabe cat-back + S & S headers + SAFC = 15HP only!?!

What's a good price and make for an SAFC?
Old 06-11-09, 10:41 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Okay! This is what I understand: Tanabe cat-back + S & S headers + SAFC = 15HP only!?!

What's a good price and make for an SAFC?
NO...if you have a stock GS4XX you will probably see more like 30-35whp gains.

I saw gains of approx. 16whp (251whp--->267whp) after JUST the addition and tune of the Apexi Neo last year! With the addition of the headers and a re-tune I saw an additional 15whp (267--->282whp).

--------------Power history--------------

Assumed: Bone stock: 243whp
Fact: Addition of K&N intake, Borla Exhaust and TM Spark plugs: 251whp
Fact: Install and tune of Apexi Neo: 267whp
Fact: Addition of S&S headers and re-tune of the Apexi Neo: ~282whp
Old 06-11-09, 10:50 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Default Keep talkin' man!

So, what brand SAFC should I buy? What's total cost in parts and labor?
Old 06-11-09, 11:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

So, what brand SAFC should I buy? What's total cost in parts and labor?
The SAFC is a Model from Apexi it is a type of AFC (air fuel controller).

In the order from oldest to newest:

-Apexi SAFC (The original)
-Apexi SAFC II
-Apexi Neo

They all pretty much do the same thing but as the models progressed there is better (more detailed) tuning abilities and the screen display is full color on the NEO.

You can pick them up for around $250 almost anywhere. You can install it yourself. Pick a location and start running wires; I used the center ashtray for the unit itself (gutted it out with a dremel; ashtray opens and closes and looks great).

As for the hook up and the tuning I had a shop do it because I was afraid I was going to screw something up; it could cost you your engine if you don't know what you are doing. Hook up and tune (on the dyno) cost me $240. So the next year when I got a re-tune...it cost me another $240. Oh, and I bought a custom harness from boomslang.us (which I referred many members to) where you do NOT have to hardwire (solder) anything into the ECU; everything is plug 'n' play; expensive though...$225/shipped.

GL!
Old 06-18-09, 02:14 AM
RoosterJoe
Driver School Candidate

Lex,

Is there any reason the Neo/S-AFC couldn't be left out in the engine bay, and just run the required ECU wires into the passenger compartment?

I'm all for set it and forget it... as well as maintaining the stock/stealth factor without using a dremel.

Old 06-18-09, 05:34 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RoosterJoe
Lex,

Is there any reason the Neo/S-AFC couldn't be left out in the engine bay, and just run the required ECU wires into the passenger compartment?

I'm all for set it and forget it... as well as maintaining the stock/stealth factor without using a dremel.

If I am understanding you correctly you want to leave the A/F controller under the hood? I guess you could but it gets pretty damn hot under there and it would be subject to moisture and debris. You may want to reconsider. You could always keep the actual controller part in the glove compartment and run the wires to the ECU area under the hood. Then, no one will ever know you had something.
Old 06-19-09, 09:01 AM
RoosterJoe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lex... shelf next to the CD changer it is!
Old 06-19-09, 09:42 AM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

hey all, i have some similar questions, (mostly for jbrady and rock alex), I have an sc'd gs4 with no third resonator/ cat and 3" pipes back from that to some large top speed cans. I'll be getting the S&S headers as soon as I can find some(rather not pay retail) and I was wondering if I should leave the cats/ colector area alone or change them to 3" is the s%S headers 3"? don't mean to thread jack, this hould get answered quick i hope

Last edited by gs400 civi; 06-19-09 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading exhaust/need new safc for gs4