Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Want to keep Stock exhaust but want it slightly louder.. What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 02:23 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tanabe is little louder than Stock
but OP wants it to sound as loud/good as G35/G37 which is definitely LOUDER than Tanabe

anyways, OP, you can add a megan midpipe and it will definitely make your car sound deeper and louder

but like I said,,nothing will make it sound like G35~!
Old 06-10-09, 03:25 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Completely untrue. I'm actually suprised you would state this given your knowledge and owning the Tanabe. I too own it and you DEFINETLY hear it when NOT romping on the gas. Especially low rpm's... thats when it at it's loudest. The only time I can say the Tanabe is quiet is about 3.5K to 4K rpm, where the intake takes over. THATS when you don't hear the Tanabe... everything under you get a deep, bassy exhaust note. Especially under load/up hill.

Its not as loud as say an F-Sport or HKS, but stating his clients won't notice it is completey untrue.
I definitely agree. I had Tanabe and got rid of it because of the loud tone at low RPM.
Old 06-10-09, 04:26 PM
nukis250
Driver School Candidate

Get Lexus HKS. Maybe go to the dealer and try the sport package with HKS exhaust. Just the idea.
Old 06-10-09, 04:39 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Lexus HKS is probably the best sounding and best looking exhaust for the IS. It is not super loud but perfect.
Old 06-10-09, 06:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
kurtz . . . the tanabe is annoying at low revs man (especially at cruising speed 2-2.5k rpm ish).
Mine isn't. Really.

I know what cruise drone sounds like, mine has none.

You don't hear the exhaust at cruising speed -at all- and you can carry on your conversation with the passenger in just as quiet a tone as when the exhaust was stock.

As I say, I'd have taken it off the same day I installed it if it did that.

I wish I still had my last car for you to hear... (500+ hp, true full dual 2.5" exhaust coming off tri-y headers and no cats). THAT droned noticeably at cruise. My wifes Supra (single 3" exhaust)...THAT is noisy at cruise.

My IS w/Tanabe you can barely hear it's running.

With the Tanabe on my 350 as I say nobody has even realized the exhaust sound isn't stock that has ridden in it before and after except the couple folks who noticed because I romped on it with them in the car.

Are you guys driving around with the windows down all the time or something that you somehow not only hear the tanabe you find it noticeable and loud?
Old 06-10-09, 08:15 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

why do you guys keep making suggestions for an aftermarket solution when he has specifically said that he does NOT want an aftermarket exhaust system?

to the OP: again, i suggest deleting the resonators. technically, it would be "modified" (yah, yah, Kurtz), but you'll retain that OEM look.

btw, it's not possible to replicate the g35/g37/z sound on the 2is.
Old 06-10-09, 08:22 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

lol, my mom and dad still always complant about my tanabe exhaust is being too loud and want me to take it off, haha
Old 06-10-09, 08:29 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projectdna

why do you guys keep making suggestions for an aftermarket solution when he has specifically said that he does NOT want an aftermarket exhaust system?

to the OP: again, i suggest deleting the resonators. technically, it would be "modified" (yah, yah, Kurtz), but you'll retain that OEM look.

because aftermarket exhaust are sooo kewl than stockers....lol

i totally agree with the resonator delete suggestion- i did it on my 02 M5, and my 99 E430-- nice mild sound, completely stock look.
Old 06-10-09, 09:09 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Mine isn't. Really.

I know what cruise drone sounds like, mine has none.

You don't hear the exhaust at cruising speed -at all- and you can carry on your conversation with the passenger in just as quiet a tone as when the exhaust was stock.

As I say, I'd have taken it off the same day I installed it if it did that.

I wish I still had my last car for you to hear... (500+ hp, true full dual 2.5" exhaust coming off tri-y headers and no cats). THAT droned noticeably at cruise. My wifes Supra (single 3" exhaust)...THAT is noisy at cruise.

My IS w/Tanabe you can barely hear it's running.

With the Tanabe on my 350 as I say nobody has even realized the exhaust sound isn't stock that has ridden in it before and after except the couple folks who noticed because I romped on it with them in the car.

Are you guys driving around with the windows down all the time or something that you somehow not only hear the tanabe you find it noticeable and loud?
I couldn't agree more. I have ZERO droning issues with my Tanabe, at any RPM.

Javier
Old 06-11-09, 12:19 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

wow interesting . . . some ppl have drone, some don't . . . lol sucks for those who do have drone ie MIKEZ
Old 06-11-09, 01:11 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed that the people I have talked to with IS250's and the Tanabe have drone...but the people with IS350's on the forum with Tanabe don't...Is this the reason? Just throwing it out there.
Old 06-11-09, 01:29 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an IS250 with stock exhaust and resonator delete, it sounds pretty nice to me and not that loud espeacially at low rpm's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Jj7GYd0wk

Im gonna delete my resonators and put magnaflow mufflers, ill post up a vid as soon as i finish it!!
Old 06-11-09, 01:37 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stonefan52
I've noticed that the people I have talked to with IS250's and the Tanabe have drone...but the people with IS350's on the forum with Tanabe don't...Is this the reason? Just throwing it out there.
Not true. I had Tanabe with IS350 and it was loud. I don't want to say drone because I think it's not drone sound but just loud sound. Could it be the defect in the exhaust? I don't know. I don't care since Lexus HKS is amazing.
Old 06-11-09, 01:39 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-J
Here's an IS250 with stock exhaust and resonator delete, it sounds pretty nice to me and not that loud espeacially at low rpm's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Jj7GYd0wk

Im gonna delete my resonators and put magnaflow mufflers, ill post up a vid as soon as i finish it!!
hey that sounds pretty nice.
Old 06-11-09, 02:16 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Drone is "subjective"..... LoL ...

Quick Reply: Want to keep Stock exhaust but want it slightly louder.. What to do??